Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Nokia N86 (v's N97)

• 06-08-2009 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi Lads, I know theres a reallyyyy long thread re the N97, but I also want to know about the n86 and how the two compare.

My own phone is on its last legs, and being a bit of a techno geek i love the latest gadget. However I do rather a phone with a key pad (not mad about the iphone touch screen I had on loan) so I’m drawn to the N86 for that reason. Any reviews on it here, anyone have any experience with it , good or bad ????
    Is the N97 a MUCH better phone, if so I’ll get over the touch screen and go with it.

Also I'm with Vodaphone , so I think I’ll have to wait a few weeks for both regardless – anyone know any more about this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sbhatia

Jack E wrote: »
    Hi Lads, I know theres a reallyyyy long thread re the N97, but I also want to know about the n86 and how the two compare.

My own phone is on its last legs, and being a bit of a techno geek i love the latest gadget. However I do rather a phone with a key pad (not mad about the iphone touch screen I had on loan) so I’m drawn to the N86 for that reason. Any reviews on it here, anyone have any experience with it , good or bad ????
    Is the N97 a MUCH better phone, if so I’ll get over the touch screen and go with it.

Also I'm with Vodaphone , so I think I’ll have to wait a few weeks for both regardless – anyone know any more about this ?

Might give you some idea.
    http://thenokian97.com/nokia-n97-vs-nokia-n86-8mp/

Happy N97 owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Jack E

Thanks for that, I'm still leaning towards the n86 after reading that - I think the touch screen is putting me off the n97. :rolleyes:
    They both seem to be pretty even in all other aspects. (except for memory - which can be increased with a card)...

...hummmmmm:confused:

Anyone know if the n86 will be available at the same time as the n97 on Vodafone? It might come down to which one I can get my hands on first in the end.

So I've just been looking it up, and I'm entitled to an upgrade on my work phone aswell which is with o2. At the minute I'm entitled to the N97 for €429 (online price- with gold upgrade)

Problem is I dont see the N86 on the list. Does anyone knoe when the n86 will be available with either vodafone or o2??

Also would there be any potential problems using the o2 phone in the vodaphone network - bearing in mind I own both of the contracts and I can instruct o2 to unlock the phone ( or I should be able to do this once o2 are willing)

The n86 is the phone I really want (because of the keypad). Can anyone convince me otherwise ? Maybe I should go into CPW and play with an N97 and see what I think. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Problem is I dont see the N86 on the list. Does anyone knoe when the n86 will be available with either vodafone or o2??

I dont think vodafone are getting n86, o2 are should be launched soon.

Also would there be any potential problems using the o2 phone in the vodaphone network - bearing in mind I own both of the contracts and I can instruct o2 to unlock the phone ( or I should be able to do this once o2 are willing)

The phone wil work fine once its unlocked, but are you going to buy it on o2 and then use it on your vodfone account. That will be expensive.

The n86 is the phone I really want (because of the keypad). Can anyone convince me otherwise ? Maybe I should go into CPW and play with an N97 and see what I think. :rolleyes:

Thats a good idea, go play with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

I had an N85 which I think is the same as N86 except for the camera and being a bit bigger and heavier - check it out on gsmarena.

I returned the N85.
    It has a smaller screen than N97 but still quite big enough and the OLED display has a really great picture.
    FM transmitter is also great for playing tunes in the car. I also like the dedicated keypad lock button, TV-out, GPS is better/faster than my N95, and it also has removable storage compared to the N95.

I didn't like the numeric keypad - just really lacks feel. Also when dialling, you have to open the slider which puts the weight toward the top of the phone and it feels awkward in your hand. Also the keypad under the display was really crap. I'd prefer individual buttons to the plastic piece of crap thay used. Viewing display out doors is a no no even at the brightest setting.

I also don't like any touch screens I've tried so far.

For the moment I'm sticking with the N95

• Advertisement

Davy wrote: »
    but are you going to buy it on o2 and then use it on your vodfone account. That will be expensive.

Why would it be more expensive ?? I have a data package for VF too. But I'm curious as to why you think it might be more expensive if I dont buy the phone from the network I use it on?

BTW I did a youtube search and I've decided I WANT THIS PHONE. :eek:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1MuUkD5Io
    I WANT IT NOW :o:o

Why would it be more expensive ?? I have a data package for VF too. But I'm curious as to why you think it might be more expensive if I dont buy the phone from the network I use it on?

Not for usage, i mean that you are going to be buying it from o2 pay as you i presume, and renew your vodafone contract aswell.

I'll be getting it on an upgrade with my o2 (work ) phone. There for I'll be renewing that contract. Thats fine, I'm eligible for an upgrade with that phone.
    I'll be asking o2 to unlock the phone so I can use my VF sim card (personal phone) with the phone. I dont see why I should have to renew my VF contract??
    Am I missing something ??:confused:

No you don't ofcourse, i thought you were keeping it thats all.

One thing that i prefer on the n86 is the camera button. It feels better, a lot more firm than the n97. Although the buttons on the front counteract it. they are way to small and dont work well imo.

Forgot to say that the n86 keypad unlock button is much better than the n97. Its built better into the housing, as opposed to kinda hanging off it a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭kirving

I have an N85, I think the N86 is really just an upgrade. My main problem with the n85 has been not getting the latest firmware. I'd imagine that the N97, being Nokia's flagship phone, would have more regular updates for all versions. The slider is a bit loose too but I think this have been fixed with the N86. Battery is excellent too.

The N85 an N86 are still very similar phones and I can only see the N86 as being an update to the N85 - which i would reccomend.

The N97 does look good though, but personally I dont really like touch screens.

OK, so it looks like this phone is not going to be released on either VF or o2 's Irish networks anytime soon. I'm looking at buying it SIM free online.
    Where's the best place to buy online for genuine unlocked phones ?

BTW I had a look at the n97 in CPW and I've ruled it out. I dont like the side keypad or the touchscreen

I'm looking at buying it SIM free online.
    Where's the best place to buy online for genuine unlocked phones ?

Any of these will do fine. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59477812&postcount=2

Thanks Davy,

My Mrs did some investagating yesterday. She is looking to get it for me for a birthday present. Sweet:D

Anyhow according to the o2 forum it looks like it'll be released on the o2 network in the next couple of weeks. http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=4194

I think I'll wait and see, if its not out by the end of the month I'm going to purchase Sim free.

Thanks for all your help.
    (I'm not sure if I can post the link - please remove if considered inappropriate )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

@ original poster -

Did u go for the n86 in the end? I just got one as an insurance replacement for a n85, and I am much more impressed with the nokia n86. Yes its a litle heavier, but I think this is better as it feels more solid;

The slider works properly with no losseness, the UI is much more respnsive, (although I hadnt updated n85 firmware in a while) the screen is more viewable in direct sunlight (although still not perfect, but useable and it is Ireland after all..)
    I got it withought seeing one first hand, and I dont think the pics do it justice, I think it looks quite smart, better than the n85 for sure..
    Also the keypad is far more useable than the n86 all in one job, especially if you have larger hands..

All in I would highly recommend (to anyone new to nokia smartphones or with older model, maybe not as a n85 upgrade), esp as sim free price (uk) works out about the same as o2 irelands, but withough the hefty contract..

Advertisement