Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

living in donabate

Options
  • 06-08-2009 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

hi there

all the threads about living in donabate appear to be outdated

i was wondering could anyone provide current info on what its like to live there?

are there frequent bus/train services, nitelife, shopping, gym, bad element, etc

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mac09 wrote: »
    are there frequent bus/train services, nitelife, shopping, gym, bad element, etc
    I don't live there myself but I'll give it a go!

Buses - served by 33B - see Dub Bus website for timetable.

Trains - served by Drogeda/Dundalk service - see Irish rail for timetables.

Night life - two pubs in village, Keelings and Smyths. The Waterside Hotel (formerly The Dunes) is about a mile away as is The Brook pub in Portrane. There are also bars in the many golf Clubs in the area.

I'm open to correction but I don't think there are any late bars/nightclubs attached to any of the above.

Restaurants - Wongs Chinese and another Italian one -can't think of it's name at the moment. The food in The Waterside Hotel is good (in my opinion) but service is patchy. There are several take aways and a cafe also.

Shopping - Super Valu is the main shop there. Several smaller newsagents, a couple of butchers, bookies, deli, pharmacy, barbers, hairdressers (x3) but that's about it. There is also a dentists, and a couple of GP's surgeries and one filling station.

Gym - There seems to be one in the Community Centre but I'm not sure.

Churches - RC and COI.

Schools - boys and girls primary and an Educate Together(?). I think they've begun a secondary school.

Sports - St Patrick's GAA Club, St Ita's (Soccer) Portrane Athletic (Soccer) 5 or 6 Golf Clubs.

Bad Element - aren't they everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I live in Donabate and Wishbone has covered the main points in his post. Just to confirm, there is a gym in the community centre.
    Newbridge Park is a lovely facility which is accessable by foot from the village. The beach and cliff walk between the Waterside Hotel and Portrane are also nice local amenities. If there is anything more specific you would like to know about Donabate, you can post or pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mac09

thanks for the info guys

any suggestions of the best place to rent within a reasonable walking distance to the train station. i was on daft and the prices are around what i expected, obviously open to negotiation on the current climate. if anyone knows of any places that are currently available and highly recommended, please comment

thanks

Are you looking for an apartment or a house ? Is it just yourself or are there other people with you ? The best people to talk to are Sean Nolan and/or Douglas Robertson. These are two estate agents based in Donabate. Maybe if you talk to them and get a few options as to what's available and then come back to me if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ChasingDreams

I also live in Donabate. Wishbone Ash, you did very well but you missed a couple of things.

Restaurants (r) , Takeaways (t) & Cafes
    Chung's Chinese (r + t)
    Pasta Castello's (Italian) (r + t)
    The ones in the Waterside & various Golf Clubs (r)
    Macarai's (Fish & Chips) (t)
    Pipers (Fish & Chips) (r + t)
    Cate's Cafe (cafe + t)

Shopping
    Petrol station
    Post Office
    Convenience Store x3
    Hairdressers x3
    Movies 4 U 2 C
    Travel Agents x2
    Laundry Place
    Barbers
    Florists
    Supervalu
    Estate agents x2
    Bookies
    Beauty Salon x2
    Pharmacy x2
    Doctors x2
    Dentist
    Butchers x2

Gym
    In the community centre (DAPSA)

Schools
    Girls National School
    Boys National School
    Educate Together
    Secondary school.
    It is also easy to commute to other schools from Donabate, as I do, by train, bus, or car.

Community Forum:

http://www.donabateportrane.com/forum

• Advertisement

I also live in Donabate. Wishbone Ash, you did very well but you missed a couple of things.

Restaurants (r) , Takeaways (t) & Cafes
    Chung's Chinese (r + t)
    Pasta Castello's (Italian) (r + t)
    The ones in the Waterside & various Golf Clubs (r)
    Macarai's (Fish & Chips) (t)
    Pipers (Fish & Chips) (r + t)
    Cate's Cafe (cafe + t)

Shopping
    Petrol station
    Post Office
    Convenience Store x3
    Hairdressers x3
    Movies 4 U 2 C
    Travel Agents x2
    Laundry Place
    Barbers
    Florists
    Supervalu
    Estate agents x2
    Bookies
    Beauty Salon x2
    Pharmacy x2
    Doctors x2
    Dentist
    Butchers x2

Gym
    In the community centre (DAPSA)

Schools
    Girls National School
    Boys National School
    Educate Together
    Secondary school.
    It is also easy to commute to other schools from Donabate, as I do, by train, bus, or car.

Community Forum:

http://www.donabateportrane.com/forum

do you know if the gym is decent, free weights, benches squat racks etc? pool?

There's no pool. I haven't used the gym myself in a long time but that's my own fault. Could I suggest that you drop in to have a look for yourself ? As far as I know, Drew Hennessy is in charge of the gym so you could ask for him to give you the tour. If you do drop out, you could take the opertunity to have a look around the area to see for yourself what you think of Donabate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i'm actually heading over tomorrow to have a look see so I'll post up what I think if you can wait that long :) it looks decent from the outside, but as said above, no pool. There are a good few around the local area though. I hear the ALSAA pool is pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

gym update as promised.

it's 50 euro a month for a couple.

gym itself isn't huge, but has plenty of equipment. enough cardio machines for everyone to get on. usual selection of weights machines also. no queues seen (about half 6 or so). it has a good sized free weights area too. there is one for men and a separate one for women also, which is good.

no pool, but does have steam room and sauna availible.

for anyone interested in such things, there are plenty of classes availible, from spinning and circuits through to yoga and boxercise.

i've seen a fair few gyms and this one stackes up decently. clean, tidy and staff seem friendly and knowledgable.

gym update as promised.

gym itself isn't huge, but has plenty of equipment. enough cardio machines for everyone to get on. usual selection of weights machines also. no queues seen (about half 6 or so). it has a good sized free weights area too. there is one for men and a separate one for women also, which is good.

no pool, but does have steam room and sauna availible.

for anyone interested in such things, there are plenty of classes availible, from spinning and circuits through to yoga and boxercise.

i've seen a fair few gyms and this one stackes up decently. clean, tidy and staff seem friendly and knowledgable.

thanks a lot for that, sounds decent.

i might check it out myself at some stage.

thanks a lot for all the posts from everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

If you pay upfront it's 500 for the year (well it was in Feb anyway) for a couple

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

mac09 wrote: »
    i might check it out myself at some stage.

just sent you a PM, I have my apartment for rent, it's right beside the train station.

ps I hope i didnt break any boards.ie rules by soliciting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rbow1

I am thinking of moving to Donabate also and have viewed the Gallery apartments.

Does anyone know what it's like to live there? Is it a quiet/ nice area?

Also what's it like getting to the M1 in the mornings?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 sanny82

can anyone say something about the ballisk court area. Thinking of buying there but cannot find anything how it is up there?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement