Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What NBA player has gotten the biggest insurance payout????

Options
  • 06-08-2009 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

I am trying to remember the guys name. He was on cribs a few years ago and had a golf course in his garden, a few massive horses and a permanent smile on his face.

I keep thinking of John Sally but it was later on then him

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Flint Tropics

Maybe Jayson Williams that played for Nets, the guy who was accused of shooting his limo driver. His career ended through injury but not sure if he got big insurance payout. NBA contracts fully guaranteed so if you get injured after you've signed you have to get paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Aye sounds like Jayson Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

Thanks Lads, thats the guy..

Signed a 86 million dollar deal in 1997 and then broke his leg on court in 1999.

He got all the money

Murder/manslaughter charges
    In the spring of 2002, Williams was tried on charges of gunning down 55-year-old limousine driver Costas "Gus" Christofi at Williams's estate in Alexandria Township, New Jersey on February 14, 2002.[1] Christofi had been hired to drive Williams's NBA charity team from a Bethlehem, Pennsylvania event to his mansion, about 30 miles (48 km) northwest of Trenton, New Jersey. Members of Williams's NBA charity basketball team were present at the scene. The New York Post reported that Williams was playing with a shotgun while giving a tour of his 30,000-square-foot (2,800 m2) home when the weapon fired, killing Christofi.

That April, Williams was acquitted of the more serious charges against him, but the court's jury deadlocked on a charge of reckless manslaughter, and he currently faces a retrial on that charge. He was convicted on four counts of trying to cover up the shooting. In January 2003, the family of Costas "Gus" Christofi settled with Williams in a wrongful death civil lawsuit for $2.75 million.

On April 21, 2006, a Hunterdon County appeals court ruled that Williams can be retried on a reckless manslaughter charge stemming from the shooting death of Christofi.[2]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

The last I heard of him he was in hospital. A pretty sad decline tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Da GOAT

pretty sure he wasnt drafted in 1997 and if he was he defo didnt sign such a contract.

• Advertisement

so i doubt it is jason williams your looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Da GOAT wrote: »
    pretty sure he wasnt drafted in 1997 and if he was he defo didnt sign such a contract.

You're half right he was drafted in 1990 by the Phoenix Suns but he did sign a contract that large with the New Jersey Nets.

ah wait, its not the jason williams i thought about. no 55 for kings, thats prob him.

also larry johnson signed a big one and his back was wrecked soon after for the knicks but yea JW form nets was always injured.

Advertisement