Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top 5 Fantasy Picks

• 06-08-2009 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

I know there are many threads covering this topic however for all the people new to fantasy football, I thought it might be nice if the seasoned football followers could throw some light on the subject and identify the main men in each different area.

Here is mine

I expect this thread to get moved or at least hijacked by the 'knowmorethanyou' guys but here goes - - - - - - -:D

Running Backs
    1. Adrian Peterson - Vikings
    2. Michael 'Burner' Turner - Cardinals
    3. Matt Forte - Bears
    4. Maurice Jones 'Too Tall' Drew - Jags
    5. Steve Slaton - Texans

Quarter Backs
    1. Tom Brady - Patriots
    2. Drew Brees - Saints
    3. Peyton Manning - Colts
    4. Philip Rivers - Chargers
    5. Matt Ryan - Falcons (New TE should help)

Wide Outs
    1. Larry Fitzgerald - Cardinals
    2. Randy Moss - Patriots
    3. Andre Johnson - Texans
    4. TJ Houshmandzadeh - Seahawks
    5. Steve Smith - Panthers

Tight Ends
    1. Antonio Gates - Chargers
    2. Jason Witten - Cowboys
    3. Dallas Clark - Colts
    4. Greg Olsen - Bears
    5. Tony Gonzalez - Falcons

Defenses
    1. Superbowl Champs - Steelers
    2. New York Giants
    3. Minnesota Vikings
    4. Rex Ryans Jets
    5. Baltimore Ravens

Kickers
    TBH I don't know enough about this area but personally I would look for a team that has poor Red Zone conversion or alternatively pick your kicker week by week. Try and find a team with poor offense against a team with strong defence.

I am a Steelers fan but the teams I am looking forward to watching this year are the Chargers, Vikings & the Bears.
    I would go so far as to say that the Chargers could be a good outside bet for the AFC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭boccy23

On your RBs, I would efinitely include Chris Johnson (Tennesse) instead of Slaton.
    QBs look good. Might take Aaron Rogers over Matt Ryan but picking hairs a bit.
    WR is always difficult but Reggie Wayne / Indianapolis / Greg Jennings, Green Bay/ Calvin Johnson, Detroit would be in my league.
    On DEF I would include Phillie or Minnesota over the possibility fo what Rex Ryan will do with the J-E-T-S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I think u will be surprised at how LT rebounds over in SD. He and Vincent Jackson are gonna have big years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

I don't think anyone will hijack your thread to be honest its the first top picks of this year thread we have to be honest. Good job. I would agree with most of your picks.

Kickers:
    1. Stephen Gostkowski NE
    2. Mason Crosby GB
    3. Rob Bironas TEN
    4. Jason Elam ATL
    5. Ryan Longwell MIN

My changes in Bold.

WR:
    1. Larry Fitzgerald - Cardinals
    2. Randy Moss - Patriots
    3. Andre Johnson - Texans
    4. Calvin Johnson - Detroit
    5. Steve Smith - Panthers

DEF:
    1. Steelers
    2. New York Giants
    3. Minnesota Vikings
    4. Tennesse Titans
    5. Baltimore Ravens

QBs Im not too sure. Maybe Drees at number 1 as far as fantasy goes the fact he is a gunslinger all the time you will score alot with him. I like your gutsy call of Matt Ryan I know I will add him to my fantasy teams this year big fan. But whether he throws enough to get enough points to put him in the top 5 is another thing. With Turner on the ground they wont throw as much.

But good job dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭The Munky

Can Reggie Wayne fill Marvin Harrisons boots? For Colts fans they better hope so cos I don't think Dallas Clark will be able to do everything. Greg Jennings is a good WR and if Rodgers can have another good year then he will be there or there abouts. Johnsons year will depend on the overpaid QB rookie in Stafford.

RB - I hear ya on the Titans kid but Slaton will outperform him this year IMHO.
    On Defense - Rex Ryan + Bart Scott should tighten those J_E_T_S holes up and who knows......

BTW Cheers Tallaghtoutlaws.... Gonzalez should bring more passing to the Falcons, good short yardage target in their new TE which in turn will help Ryan & Turner

The Munky wrote: »
    Can Reggie Wayne fill Marvin Harrisons boots? For Colts fans they better hope so cos I don't think Dallas Clark will be able to do everything. Greg Jennings is a good WR and if Rodgers can have another good year then he will be there or there abouts. Johnsons year will depend on the overpaid QB rookie in Stafford.

Johnson is a baller no matter who is at QB and I would expect Stafford to go to him all the time. Wayne wont fill Harrisons boots. I see Manning spreading it around.
    RB - I hear ya on the Titans kid but Slaton will outperform him this year IMHO.

I would defo have Slaton top 5 kid will only get better.
    On Defense - Rex Ryan + Bart Scott should tighten those J_E_T_S holes up and who knows......

Very true but Id still say fantasy wise still maybe one or two postions off top 5 but they are up there alright.
    BTW Cheers Tallaghtoutlaws.... Gonzalez should bring more passing to the Falcons, good short yardage target in their new TE which in turn will help Ryan & Turner

Just what the doctor ordered for Ryan. Im a big fan and have been to alot of Boston College games and the day he first got his shot I was impressed. Just search this thread Im a big fan he is my second man crush haha. Gonza add a huge + to the Falcons passing game.

• Advertisement

I agree with you on Johnson but I dont know if the Lions 'O' line will give the rookie enough time to offload to their top WR.

Ryan has the ability and potential be a top QB in NFL and with arguably a first ballot HOF TE now I reckon his numbers will improve this year. BUT but, I still think Rivers and Gates is a better QB/TE partnership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭boccy23

Whether Culpepper starts or not I would still go with Calvin Johnson. I think he is their only go to guy and will rack up the points.

Slaton in mind my could wear down. He is only 5'9" but has bulked up to 225. WIll this affect his zippiness? Should keep him in on short yardage. That in particular is the one slight against Johnson. Len-Whale does get those short yardage carries. Maybe without the Tequela he might have to share that load.

Will Gonzalez be as good as from Arrowhead? I hope so as he is one of my favourite players. If he does work out for the Falcons, then he would be a serious player in that offense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

i'd definitely have Maurice Jones-Drew in 3rd place for the RB position

and id have Josh Scobee in with the kickers...hes a freak for the long kicks...especially the gamewinners when they're really needed. lets just hope he can keep it up this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

I do this every time, but allegiances aside I'd have Steven Jackson in the top 5 RBs. If he plays 16 games he'll lead the league in yards from scrimmage. Because he's so good, but also (pertinently for fantasy football) because the Rams have no other hands to put the football in.

I'd also consider maybe Aaron Rodgers above Matt Ryan as a fantasy producer. And Calvin Johnson or even Boldin over Houshmandzadeh who will get a lot of ball but doesn't accumulate the kind of points his receptions count would lead you to assume.

And Kellen Winslow is going to see a lot of ball in Tampa, but whether he puts up elite numbers or just good numbers is sort of tied to whoever will be throwing to him. I'd put him in the conversation at TE anyway.

Good post, nice to get the discussion going.

Karlusss wrote: »
    I do this every time, but allegiances aside I'd have Steven Jackson in the top 5 RBs. If he plays 16 games he'll lead the league in yards from scrimmage. Because he's so good, but also (pertinently for fantasy football) because the Rams have no other hands to put the football in.

Im in a keeper league in the US and have Jackson as 1 of 3 keepers and looking at his finishing on points over the last 3 years in FF last season he was outside the top 10 backs on Total FF points. And just inside it the season before. So as far as top 5 I would stick him outside it. But true he will get all the carries. If the rams can get him more yards and tds he will destroy the points this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

The Munky wrote: »
    Can Reggie Wayne fill Marvin Harrisons boots?

I think the question is, can Gonzalez fill the 2nd receiver shoes? Or even, can receiver No.3 fill his shoes? Because Manning likes to play in his third receiver a LOT. But Wayne has been number 1 receiver for the last 2 seasons, and not far behind in the Superbowl year.

In Dallas Clark the Colts have one of the most underrated TE's in the league. You can keep your Shockeys, I think behind Tony Gonzalez, you won't find a better TE.

But the thing about Peyton, in terms of his Fantasy ranking, is this: You know that year after year he'll throw a QB rating around 95 or more, and 4,000 yards or more. Manning will always get the stats. In fact the comparison with Brady/Manning almost comes down to this: Brady has got the rings, but Manning has the stats. (And Tom has a VERY important Stat, but Peyton has a very important ring). Also mannings reg season record kinda suggests he's not a shammer.

In a nutshell, you look beyond Manning or Brady, you're a fool. But Brees needs to win games before I'll ever truly trust him as a QB.

That's my take on the Colts' offense.

It's weird, we're kinda been written off this season. But for all intents and purposes, our gaping holes from last season have been seen to. Such as Run Defense, and the Running game. We have to expect a fitter O-line than last season, and our D-line was thrown assunder before last years training camp. that won't happen again. Will Sanders get through a season intact? Well he's due - he'd be the best safety in the game if he could.

We lost a great coach, one of the best. But I think his system and his style is so deeply imbued in Indy that his legacy will remain. And Caldwell, well it remains to be seen. But who gave Tomlin a chance at the Steelers? We're apparently behind the Titans and the Texans in '09, just as we were written off last season. Before the start of the season and particularly @ 3-4. nine games in a Row (including 1 against the incumbent SB champs in Pittsburgh), saw us become the only team in history to get seven consecutive wins in five consecutive seasons, and the only team in history to get twelve wins in 6 consecutive seasons.

We may not be playoff kings, but we are ****ing EMPERORS of the regular season. Keep that in mind for your Fantasy Football ;) :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Here's a list that has more "sleepers" in it rather then the top players.

Zach Miller(Te, Oak) - 8th in receiving yards for TE's last season and lead the league is recieving average with 13.9 for every catch. All this despite having a pretty woeful offence around him, Raiders still have no legimate No.1 WR so he should get a lot more of the ball with our improved OL. Lacks the TD's though.

Michael Bush(RB, Oak) Most likely would of been draft in the 1st round in 07 if he didnt break his leg in the final year of college. Still suffered with fitness last year and his body wasn't ready for a 16 game season as a load carrying RB. Avg 4.4 yards last season and supposedly he's been looking excellent in TC, with Oaklands excellent running game I expect him to be the leader in rush yards for the team next year. Throw in a weak Run defense division and he's not a bad choice as a 2nd/3rd RB. Surprising good in the passing game as well.

Enough of the homer picks. :D

Greg Olsen(TE, Bears) - Never really got a chance to show the reason he was 1st TE taken in the 07 draft but with Jay Cutler now throwing to him I expect big things from him next year. Add in the fact the bears don't have a stand top quality WR means Olsen should get a lot of the ball.

Carson Palmer(QB, Bengals) With probably the most talents tackle in the league being drafted by the bengals to help protect their star QB Palmer should have an excellent season. On form one of the best QB's in the league and with Ocho ready to rock these guys have huge potential to light it up next year.

Ocho chinco(WR, Bengals) Meh, see above.

Matt Schuab(QB, Hou) - Joint second highest avg last season, if he can stay fit and last the whole season along with Andre johnson and Owen daniels then he could be a fantasy steel.

There's plenty more but I'll leave it that for now.

Here's a list that has more "sleepers" in it rather then the top players.

Zach Miller(Te, Oak) - Michael Bush(RB, Oak) ????:D:D:D Sleepers? or should put us to sleep? lol, Miller possibly but Bush? is he even in the top ten? ;)

Enough of the homer picks. :D

Greg Olsen(TE, Bears) - AGREED
    Carson Palmer(QB, Bengals) POSSIBLY

Ocho chinco(WR, Bengals) SO FAR ITS ALL TALK WITH CHAD - But he has the ability and I would love to that Future HOF Jacket out again this season

Matt Schuab(QB, Hou) - COULD BE A SLEEPER

A guy I also like the look and who should have a far better season this year is Bears WR Devin Hester - If he returns to the return game and that coupled with Cutler's accuracy should put his numbers put from the 3 TD's last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

Running Backs
    AP, Forte, MJD, Turner (380 curse), Slaton

Quarter Backs
    Brady Brees Manning Rodgers Rivers

Wide Outs
    Fitz Moss AJ Megatron Jennings

Tight Ends
    Witten, Gates, Gonzo, Clark, Olsen

Defenses
    Ravens, Steelers, Chargers, Giants, Eagles

Kickers
    Whoever plays in a dome or against DET, SL, DEN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

davyjose wrote: »

In Dallas Clark the Colts have one of the most underrated TE's in the league. You can keep your Shockeys, I think behind Tony Gonzalez, you won't find a better TE.

In a nutshell, you look beyond Manning or Brady, you're a fool.

I see u have a blind spot 4 ur nemesis, the San Diego Chargers. :cool:

How u cannot mention Antonio Gates or Philip Rivers is beyond me. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Ive been tipping Reggie Bush to return to form this season, but apparently he's had more problems with his knee, although Saints are saying he'll be ready for the new season. Here's hoping, when he's on form, he's nearly a shoe in for play of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Craig87

I would have to include Calvin Johnson I no he plays for DET but he still gets it done. I wouldn't have T.J. Im not trying to be smart or cocky but at Qwest in bad weather SEA will be running the ball.

On D you have to have TEN there too

Leslie91 wrote: »
    I see u have a blind spot 4 ur nemesis, the San Diego Chargers. :cool:

How u cannot mention Antonio Gates or Philip Rivers is beyond me. :eek:

Well Brees was the best QB as far as stats are concerned last year. All it will take is another mistimed tackle or falling bundle to take Brady out for the year again.

Manning won't be as productive as he has been. His No.1 in Harrison is gone and he has no running game to back him up.

Craig87 wrote: »
    All it will take is another mistimed tackle or falling bundle to take Brady out for the year again.

This can be said for any QB including Brees in fairness. Bradys knee was healthy when helmet hit it and he tore two ligaments. So his injury can happen anyone.

This can be said for any QB including Brees in fairness. Bradys knee was healthy when helmet hit it and he tore two ligaments. So his injury can happen anyone.

Yes thats true, but an injury is more likely to reoccur than and new injury to occur.

Same with footballers etc, if you snap a tendon or muscle when you heel the new muscle or tendon is made up of scar tissue. Scar tissue has less elasticity than regular tissue and makes reoccurring injuries more probable. Thats why some many athletes suffer with reoccurring problems.

• Advertisement

Yes thats true, but an injury is more likely to reoccur than and new injury to occur.

If a helmet hits a QB's knee it will fook it up whether a pre-condition was there or not.

Same with footballers etc, if you snap a tendon or muscle when you heel the new muscle or tendon is made up of scar tissue. Scar tissue has less elasticity than regular tissue and makes reoccurring injuries more probable. Thats why some many athletes suffer with reoccurring problems.

I agree as I have two bad knees myself and have had my MCL repaired. But the one thing pro atletes have is the best doctors and physiotherapists money can buy. They also have the best strength and condioning coaches who will continue to work with his knee. I love my physio he does wonders and I still play and coach football. Can you imagine how good Tom Brady's guy is?

If a helmet hits a QB's knee it will fook it up whether a pre-condition was there or not.

I agree as I have two bad knees myself and have had my MCL repaired. But the one thing pro atletes have is the best doctors and physiotherapists money can buy. They also have the best strength and condioning coaches who will continue to work with his knee. I love my physio he does wonders and I still play and coach football. Can you imagine how good Tom Brady's guy is?

Clearly a helmet to the knee is going to take any knee out, but I'm talking about something simple like just taking a sack, trying to twist to avoid a sack etc. His knee although he may be fit may not be use to game time physicality and buckle.

As far as the best doctors etc money can buy. Yes I am in no way disagreeing that fact, but take Owen Hargreaves. He plays with United one of the riches clubs in the world, yet he can't stay fit cause he keeps having the same knee problem. There is one thing money can't buy and thats your body. No matter how much money you have you can't buy new knees and thats what he needs.

As far as the best doctors etc money can buy. Yes I am in no way disagreeing that fact, but take Owen Hargreaves. He plays with United one of the riches clubs in the world, yet he can't stay fit cause he keeps having the same knee problem. There is one thing money can't buy and thats your body. No matter how much money you have you can't buy new knees and thats what he needs.

Hargreaves is having a different knee problem. Bradys ligaments both his ACL and MCL had clean breaks. Hargreaves did alot more damage to his knee than just ligament dude is unfortunate. Im not disagreeing with you the knee will always be weak but what im saying is depending on how the ligaments were repaired and broke define the lastability. Im sure there are guys on here that have gone through in some what brady has. I weigh 285 and have small sproblems with my MCL after it was fixed but it doesnt affect me to the extent of not playing. Tis why I attend physio twice a week. I know guys who tore both and with the right rehab continue to play with minor problems.

As for money. In the US ligaments are completely replaced in athletes. They use full strands of ligament from cadavers. One of my buddies was one of the clinical trials 10 years ago in WI when play college ball and he still played after the surgery was done on both knees. The ligament replcement is yet to be done here. Michael Owen is prime case in europe he went to the US to get his fixed.

What Im saying to you it is possible and the fact that brady is already working hard in pre-season and moving fine it looks like his rehab and medical team did a stellar job. As for the sack and twists and turns again yes Brady could fook it up again but so could any QB in the same situation. Ask anyone who plays the game even Rugby players experience the same pressure on their bodies.

Hargreaves is having a different knee problem. Bradys ligaments both his ACL and MCL had clean breaks. Hargreaves did alot more damage to his knee than just ligament dude is unfortunate. Im not disagreeing with you the knee will always be weak but what im saying is depending on how the ligaments were repaired and broke define the lastability. Im sure there are guys on here that have gone through in some what brady has. I weigh 285 and have small sproblems with my MCL after it was fixed but it doesnt affect me to the extent of not playing. Tis why I attend physio twice a week. I know guys who tore both and with the right rehab continue to play with minor problems.

As for money. In the US ligaments are completely replaced in athletes. They use full strands of ligament from cadavers. One of my buddies was one of the clinical trials 10 years ago in WI when play college ball and he still played after the surgery was done on both knees. The ligament replcement is yet to be done here. Michael Owen is prime case in europe he went to the US to get his fixed.

What Im saying to you it is possible and the fact that brady is already working hard in pre-season and moving fine it looks like his rehab and medical team did a stellar job. As for the sack and twists and turns again yes Brady could fook it up again but so could any QB in the same situation. Ask anyone who plays the game even Rugby players experience the same pressure on their bodies.

Im not saying that Brady will definatly get hurt he may go through the entire season or he may get hurt again its up in the air, but I do think the injury will effect him. I torn my calf playing ball and ever time I play now in the back of my head i think will it happen again, and i'm sure TB will be no different. I hope for his health that he has seen the last of it but you can just never know.

Advertisement