Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable quality query for phone extension

Options
  • 06-08-2009 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have to install another phone socket as to accomodate phone line to my Sky digiboxes. Best option is to hard wire from my bedroom eircom socket to a location just behind the main tv etc. Route will entail drilling out of the gable end of house and then back in at ground level. So basically a stretch of cable will be permanently outside clipped onto the wall. Our gable end is about 10/12 feet from the house next door so reasonably well protected from the elements.

I have some ordinary phone cable in the garage which would be ideal to use to save on costs ,but it crossed my mind as to whether this will suffice for use on the outside or not. Can anyone clarify please? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

...or if you don't want the hassle you could just get a wireless phone extender - something like this:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97658&C=SO&U=strat15

I'm sure you can find a much cheaper version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

p15574 wrote: »
    ...or if you don't want the hassle you could just get a wireless phone extender - something like this:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97658&C=SO&U=strat15

I'm sure you can find a much cheaper version.

thanks, I've considered that option but will then have to plug in two more electrical items and have to leave them on all the time.Don't really want to do that. Would rather hard wire it myself for minimal cost and then have no additional electricity/socket cost. Really trying to find out if the cable I have will suffice or if you are supposed to use an "outdoor" type phone cable .

cheers

Also I'd be grateful if as well as answering my question regarding the cable ,if anyone knows the name of the tool you would use when connecting the wires to the eircom socket.Its usually very difficult to push them in and I assume there must be something you can buy to make that easy. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Sorry tried to reply to this yesterday but my googleweb crashed, heres my responce as a guy who does this professionally:

Technically the answer is No..!! But at the end of the day the other cable will "technically" work!!!

The cable you require is outdoor rated telco cable. This is the heavy duty 2 pair cable Eircom use for external work. Im sure you can buy a length in an electrical wholesaler for cheap. I did a job recently where I install half a km of it, it was cheap as cheap. The reason you want this cable is it is strong, it is resistant to UV, its waterproof etc etc.

20m of that cable and a box of cable clips shouldnt cost more than 20 euro Id say. Make sure when you run you cable into the lower room you put a loop in it and silicone the hell out of the hole. The loop stops water entering your cavity and causing dampness.

That all make sense?

Also if you need to use that cable you have in the shed, incase it in plastic round conduit that would help.

FusionNet wrote: »
    Sorry tried to reply to this yesterday but my googleweb crashed, heres my responce as a guy who does this professionally:

Technically the answer is No..!! But at the end of the day the other cable will "technically" work!!!

The cable you require is outdoor rated telco cable. This is the heavy duty 2 pair cable Eircom use for external work. Im sure you can buy a length in an electrical wholesaler for cheap. I did a job recently where I install half a km of it, it was cheap as cheap. The reason you want this cable is it is strong, it is resistant to UV, its waterproof etc etc.

20m of that cable and a box of cable clips shouldnt cost more than 20 euro Id say. Make sure when you run you cable into the lower room you put a loop in it and silicone the hell out of the hole. The loop stops water entering your cavity and causing dampness.

That all make sense?

Also if you need to use that cable you have in the shed, incase it in plastic round conduit that would help.

Many thanks for that Eoghan. Gonna get the proper cable as you suggest. Just a couple of questions that you might clarify for me.Apologies for this!

1.What do you mean by a loop? I will obviously fill the hole with silicone.
    2.Do I just say to wholesaler, I need external 2 Pair telephone cable?Does that means it has four wires within it? Is it a smilar thickness overall to the internal stuff?
    3.What is the tool you need to push the wires into the L1 and L2 connections in the eircom socket. cheers.

• Advertisement

hi again,

No problem and your more than welcome. Ok to answer ze questions!

1) As far as I gathered you are going from the first floor to ground floor ya? Ok when you get to the ground floor hole dont just shove it in. Creat an 8 inch loop and approach the hole from the bottom. that way when rain runs down the cable it will fall off the end of the loop and wont go into the hole. Remember silicone etc doesnt last forever expecially outside so when it degrades you will not get water flowing into your cavity. Also run the cable down in a straight line approx 3 -4 inches away from the first floor hole that way when you swoop round it'll look need.. That make sense? If it doesnt feel free to ask more.

2)ok ya ask your wholesaler that, yes 2 pair is four wire and no its probably twice as thick and has a hard coating. Its not as flexible as the indoor stuff. It also has a gel in it which is a pain in the ass but this is needed. You can clean the goo off with white spirits..

3)Depending which sockets you have depens on the tools. Some eircom boxes use a Krone tool, but some use screw terminals.

Oh also is this a broadband enabled line???

hi again,

1) As far as I gathered you are going from the first floor to ground floor ya? Ok when you get to the ground floor hole dont just shove it in. Creat an 8 inch loop and approach the hole from the bottom. that way when rain runs down the cable it will fall off the end of the loop and wont go into the hole. Remember silicone etc doesnt last forever expecially outside so when it degrades you will not get water flowing into your cavity. Also run the cable down in a straight line approx 3 -4 inches away from the first floor hole that way when you swoop round it'll look need.. That make sense? If it doesnt feel free to ask more.

2)ok ya ask your wholesaler that, yes 2 pair is four wire and no its probably twice as thick and has a hard coating. Its not as flexible as the indoor stuff. It also has a gel in it which is a pain in the ass but this is needed. You can clean the goo off with white spirits..

3)Depending which sockets you have depens on the tools. Some eircom boxes use a Krone tool, but some use screw terminals.

Thanks a lot for that reply! Another couple of clarifications if you have chance.

1. The loop confuses me. Do you mean this loop will be just hanging loose outside the hole?

2.what do you mean by "when you swoop round it'll look need.. " ?

3. It is a broadband enabled line. The phone connected to the socket I will be extending off has a DSL filter fitted. I assume I will need a filter also on the line to each of the digiboxes?

4. I think the Eircom box I'm extending from has no screw terminals,but those awkward things that it is very difficult to push the wires into?!?! What would I buy to enable me put those wires in properly?

thanks a lot

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FusionNet
    hi again,

Thanks a lot for that reply! Another couple of clarifications if you have chance.

1. The loop confuses me. Do you mean this loop will be just hanging loose outside the hole?

2.what do you mean by "when you swoop round it'll look need.. " ?

3. It is a broadband enabled line. The phone connected to the socket I will be extending off has a DSL filter fitted. I assume I will need a filter also on the line to each of the digiboxes?

4. I think the Eircom box I'm extending from has no screw terminals,but those awkward things that it is very difficult to push the wires into?!?! What would I buy to enable me put those wires in properly?

thanks a lot

Ill reply to this in the morning, bit pressed for time at the min..

Ill reply to this in the morning, bit pressed for time at the min..

Actually, I decided on the DECT wireless phone extender. It works perfect. Didn't really fancy drilling another two holes in the end of the house etc.

thanks anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement