Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

argos stove

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

For festivals and similar it would be fine i think. For more serious mountaineering I would't touch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Say i was going into the mountains or somewhere for about 2 or 3 days would also be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Looks kinda big and heavy to me. Bear in mind you'll need to lug the appropriate (and pricey) cartridge around too. I've just bought one of these http://www.worldofcamping.co.uk/shop/Coleman_Sportster_Stove_-_Sportster_Stove__849

About twice the price, but probably smaller, lighter and costs nearly nothing to run as it burns unleaded petrol. And as the tank is refillable, no cartridge to carry. And will run on full for 1.5 hrs and simmer for 8.5 hrs on a full tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

il gatto wrote: »
    Looks kinda big and heavy to me. Bear in mind you'll need to lug the appropriate (and pricey) cartridge around too. I've just bought one of these http://www.worldofcamping.co.uk/shop/Coleman_Sportster_Stove_-_Sportster_Stove__849

About twice the price, but probably smaller, lighter and costs nearly nothing to run as it burns unleaded petrol. And as the tank is refillable, no cartridge to carry. And will run on full for 1.5 hrs and simmer for 8.5 hrs on a full tank.

Thats a great little piece of kit. Very useful that it runs on petrol rather than meths etc as its cheaper and easily available.

OP if you intend to use it a lot it is deffinitly worth investing in something like this. It will pay for itself ove time in fuel savings alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Trangia model 25 or 27 with a Primus gas burner attachment.

I've been hammering mine over the last 12 months - Use it pretty much weekly and for a few longer trips. Gas lasts ages, doesn't leave sooty pots, doesn't leak (with reasonable care of course), dissolve nylon or taint food. It's also safer, considerably so to my mind, especially if it's a case that you won't use the stove terribly often....

Familiarity with operation of petrol stoves and a regular maintenance regime is just too much of a chore for most, despite how good a bit of kit that Coleman actually is. For Joe Bloggs looking for something to stick on the shelf for a few months and drag out when he needs it, Gas is absolutely the way to go. With Petrol, I can't see how it could be anything other than nerve wracking for the casual user.

Petrol stoves are super in the right hands and for the right user, but that's not everyone....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Oh yeah, also check out:

MSR Pocket Rocket (€35 in 53 Degrees, a little more in other shops)
    JetBoil PCS - Anything from €69-89 depending on where you shop. That includes the pots etc. I also have the Cafetierre kit for mine which gets an awful lot of use while the trangia cooks up the dinner.

Both of those use the same type screw on gas canister, the same one my Primus F1 Lantern uses too.....

Petrol? Not for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

The Pocket Rocket is fantastic. Works like a charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Tells

Can't beat the pocket rocket..

And €30 in Great outdoors, more expensive elsewhere!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Tells wrote: »
    Can't beat the pocket rocket..

And €30 in Great outdoors, more expensive elsewhere!!

I saw that. I paid a lot more five years ago. Ah, well, it was worth it. It has the power to boil 500ml in an uncovered mess tin in 3 or 4 minutes. Absolutely brilliant.

Power stove it is then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    Trangia model 25 or 27 with a Primus gas burner attachment.

I've been hammering mine over the last 12 months - Use it pretty much weekly and for a few longer trips. Gas lasts ages, doesn't leave sooty pots, doesn't leak (with reasonable care of course), dissolve nylon or taint food. It's also safer, considerably so to my mind, especially if it's a case that you won't use the stove terribly often....

Familiarity with operation of petrol stoves and a regular maintenance regime is just too much of a chore for most, despite how good a bit of kit that Coleman actually is. For Joe Bloggs looking for something to stick on the shelf for a few months and drag out when he needs it, Gas is absolutely the way to go. With Petrol, I can't see how it could be anything other than nerve wracking for the casual user.

Petrol stoves are super in the right hands and for the right user, but that's not everyone....

Jaysus. You've scared me off my own stove now:D

If i was going mountaneering or something i wouldnt mind petrol but not at festivals where people wander around drunk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭gillo_100

Just a word of warning, at festivals flamable liquids are not normally allowed on to the campsites. To be honest its kinda with good reason considering the amount of drunk idiots an the close proximity of all those flammable tents.

At my first festival i got a bottle of meths taken off me. So just something to be aware of.

gillo_100 wrote: »
    Just a word of warning, at festivals flamable liquids are not normally allowed on to the campsites. To be honest its kinda with good reason considering the amount of drunk idiots an the close proximity of all those flammable tents.

At my first festival i got a bottle of meths taken off me. So just something to be aware of.

Never thought of that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

gillo_100 wrote: »

Little Bro????

TBH for general use you can't beat a Tangia, it's back down very small, is very straight forward to use and generally wind isn't a problem, even if you stick with Meths they work very well. I have a cousin who used the primus burner, but he realised that most of the handheld burners for felting roofs (sorry no idea what the proper name is), the gas canisters they use have the same fitting only the gas was more pressurised and a lot more potent. It cooked in no time at all- not saying it's safe to don't come back if you blow your stove up.

For me the best store I had was an MSR XGK, it used pretty much any fuel you could get your hands on, was quick and once you tried it a few times very straightforward to use. I gave a few people a loan of it and unfortunately it never came back.
    Funny reminds me of when I was in college, used to work in Great Outdoors and was a bit of a gadget / gear freak, they must of got nearly half my wages back with me buying stuff there:D

i got a msr pocket rocket but where do you get the fuel?

Would these do?
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3401981.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

plenty of the outdoor shop sell the gas cartridges either MSR's own stuff or the Coleman Fuel

Down South wrote: »
    plenty of the outdoor shop sell the gas cartridges either MSR's own stuff or the Coleman Fuel

Thank you. i thought i might have to send away for msr fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Bob Z wrote: »
    i got a msr pocket rocket but where do you get the fuel?

Would these do?
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3401981.htm

yes

is it a bad idea too store these for too long? If i bought these now but didnt use them for a while would that be dangerous?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

If stored correctly you should get a couple of years out of them I would have thought, that said any sign of rust and I wouldn't risk it.

Advertisement