Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest/Most Expensive bottle of Buckfast in town?

Options
  • 06-08-2009 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

I've found myself buying single bottles of the stuff lately so would like to know the cheapest place.... care to share your knowledge?

Most expensive i've found was SuperValu (Nestors) on Fr. Griffin Road. Last night it was €11.49 a bottle :eek: I know I should have just walked away, but couldn't resist :pac: Lesson learned, won't be going back

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

I'd imagine Tesco would be cheapest...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

It's not though, over €10 a bottle!

I *think* the cheapest may be 'Fine Wines' in Westside, but I forget how much exactly it is there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

JohnCleary wrote: »

I *think* the cheapest may be 'Fine Wines' in Westside, but I forget how much exactly it is there

Think it's €11.50 in Tesco (this was before the refit though). Dearest place I found was Topaz Newcastle for €12.49. I buy mine up north now, it's nicer somehow than the Southern Bucky (oh and cheaper too).

• Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

"not so fine wines "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I think it used to be 9 quid somewhere before, can't remember though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Anima wrote: »
    I think it used to be 9 quid somewhere before, can't remember though.

Yeah, about 6 years ago !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭scottledeuce

It's 9.50 in Fine wines at Westside.

Cheapest I've seen anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Richardsons used to do it cheaper than most back in the day. Haven't been there recently since moving further out of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Their advertising campaign worked so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I've found myself buying single bottles of the stuff lately

You're not actually *drinking* the stuff are you? Hopefully you are using it to keep barnacles off your boat or something.

I thought you were a growed-up?

'c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

That's a ridiculous price for a massive hangover. You can buy two half decent bottles of wine for near enough the same amount and get just as drunk. They even have screw tops.:cool: And if you buy cheap German stuff it's just as sweet.:rolleyes:

The only trouble is that drinking chateau plonk de pont while lying in a doorway is far less street cred looking than Buckfast out of a brown paper bag:D.

You're not actually *drinking* the stuff are you? Hopefully you are using it to keep barnacles off your boat or something.

I thought you were a growed-up?

'c

Buckfast is my all-time favourite :o

A neighbour of mine made me a Buckfast beef stew one time - sounds manky but by christ it was the tastiest stew i've ever had (Alcohol would have burned of leaving the sweet taste, divine!) - The next item on the menu is Buckfast Cheesecake

growed-up? me? You havin a forking laugh?? :P

The only trouble is that drinking chateau plonk de pont while lying in a doorway is far less street cred looking than Buckfast out of a brown paper bag:D.

We sat outside my house yesterday evening drinking our bottle of buckie as it was such a nice evening. Let's just say I live in a far-from-scummy area of Galway, and even the neighbours got a laugh out of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭lumpwood

As an avid fan of 'The B', I can pretty confidently say Fine Wines Westside is the cheapest at €9.50....would be delighted to hear it if anyone knows of cheaper though!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

ScumLord wrote: »
    Their advertising campaign worked so.

Tesco have advertised their Buckfast? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

I remember buying the stuff for 5 Irish pounds. Long time ago that was!
    I always get it in Harvest these days, nice offie, sound staff. €11 even.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

That's a ridiculous price for a massive hangover. You can buy two half decent bottles of wine for near enough the same amount and get just as drunk. They even have screw tops.:cool: And if you buy cheap German stuff it's just as sweet.:rolleyes:

Ya but its not the same at all. Why would you go to McDonalds and buy two hamburgers when you can have a lovely steakburger in Scotty's for the same price. It's all about the quality(OK think I'm still on about buckfast here!!)

Haven't had it in ages but was at oxegen and brought a bottle along and OMFG it was divine!! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DMBandit

lumpwood wrote: »
    As an avid fan of 'The B', I can pretty confidently say Fine Wines Westside is the cheapest at €9.50....would be delighted to hear it if anyone knows of cheaper though!!

Yep, Fine Wines Westside is the cheapest in town ;)

DMBandit wrote: »
    Yep, Fine Wines Westside is the cheapest in town ;)

But not accross the board. 6 longneck bottles of Bulmers is €14 in Fine Wines, compared to €12 in Lohans in Salthill. But anyhow, let's stay on topic :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

conti wrote: »
    I remember buying the stuff for 5 Irish pounds. Long time ago that was!
    I always get it in Harvest these days, nice offie, sound staff. €11 even.

I do too! This must mean you are around the "ten years of drinking bucky" mark! Congrats, that cannot be easy! My stomach said stop about 6 years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Des Hynes

But not accross the board. 6 longneck bottles of Bulmers is €14 in Fine Wines, compared to €12 in Lohans in Salthill. But anyhow, let's stay on topic :p

9.99 in Dunnes at the minute for 6 long necks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 galwayfeen

cheapest i seen for the bottle of b was in "sláinte" near forster court,
    10 euro for the sthufff,not bad considering their prices go up every second day:rolleyes:

I can confirm 9.50 for bottle of Buckie in Fine Wines, yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

I can confirm 6.50 for bottle of Buckie in Fine Wines, yesterday

:eek:

This is a great topic by the way, I can envisage the "Buckfast Index" replacing the Consumer Price Index in Irish economics books

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

o'learys had a deal a few months back,btl 11 euro with free can dutch gold or tuborg.havnt been there in a while so dont know if it still on.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

its gone from 9.50 to 6.50 ??
    is this a typo

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DMBandit

Hope you stocked up at that price! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭lumpwood

6.50....are you sure??Got it for 9.50 last month, hopping straight over if thats the case!!

its gone from 9.50 to 6.50 ??
    is this a typo
    DMBandit wrote: »
    Hope you stocked up at that price! :D
    lumpwood wrote: »
    6.50....are you sure??Got it for 9.50 last month, hopping straight over if thats the case!!

Typo, apologies :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 murchadh

Different breed of stuff the oul' Northern Buckfast. Green bottle instead of brown and a different volume alcohol. I think it's 15% and 14% down here. Not sure but there is a difference. Have a photo somewhere of the two bottles side by side - ah the peace process!

Advertisement