Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ant Fly Day

Options
  • 06-08-2009 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

So its that time of year again. Just took a stroll down Irishtown and there are walking ants everywhere with the odd few flying ants. This evening they'll be everywhere!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I for one..

Oh what's the point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

It's National Aunt's Day... Big Ceremony in Irishtown I hear... Dunno what to say about the flying ones.. must've drank Red Bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

14_anteater-pleased_med.jpg

You need one of theses

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭aidom

Really. Tis a day to stay inside so....

I've been dreading this all summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Wouldn't it be fly ant day?...and do we get a day off work to celebrate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

BVB wrote: »
    14_anteater-pleased_med.jpg

You need one of theses

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

I'll be keeping all the windows closed today so, little fe*kers aren't going to infest my house!! Do they fly at night or go away once the sun goes down or what??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Love2love wrote: »
    So its that time of year again. Just took a stroll down Irishtown and there are walking ants everywhere with the odd few flying ants. This evening they'll be everywhere!
    I was walking down Irishtown earlier too and saw them. You just have to walk down the road standing on hundreds of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

1- Direct sunlight
    2- Magnifying glass
    3- ???????
    4 - PROFIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It is. It really is. How come it is? I saw a few today when I went out to make a phonecall to the bank. I was on hold for ages so I inevitably ended up playing with them, seeing if they could sniff out their trails after I redirected them and things. Next I see a large one. It must have been old queenie herself. I havent seen one in years. At first I though 'thats a mad looking fly' then I thought 'no way! It's a bloody antfly so it is''

Do they only come out for one day or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'd love to have a job where I see the outside world every so often. Then I could join in discussions like this without having to resort to posting clips:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

WindSock wrote: »
    It is. It really is. How come it is? I saw a few today when I went out to make a phonecall to the bank. I was on hold for ages so I inevitably ended up playing with them, seeing if they could sniff out their trails after I redirected them and things. Next I see a large one. It must have been old queenie herself. I havent seen one in years. At first I though 'thats a mad looking fly' then I thought 'no way! It's a bloody antfly so it is''

Do they only come out for one day or something?

They do..The queens come out to mate. They grow wings and mate in mid-air with chosen males. Then they fall to the ground and lose their wings. The male then dies and the queen goes off to start a new colony.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

They do..The queens come out to mate. They grow wings and mate in mid-air with chosen males. Then they fall to the ground and lose their wings. The male then dies and the queen goes off to start a new colony.

Bitches man.

Jesus these things are so annoying. There's not tons of them flying about but they'll still always crash into you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Jesus these things are so annoying. There's not tons of them flying about but they'll still always crash into you.

There's a Dave Matthews song in there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

First time I ever heard of such a day, or flying ants for that matter

Is this a new phenomenon?

First time I ever heard of such a day, or flying ants for that matter

Is this a new phenomenon?
    Seriously? I've a terrible memory but I can still remember a day from when I was about 12 when area I lived was swarmed with flying ants. They obviously can't fly very well so they just crash off you as you walk. Horrible things.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Weird, I'm in the south of France at the moment and all the flying ants came out today. Coincidence?

lol:P Just like us, eh? lol!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Bump....they are back. Flying ants all over the place here where I am in Cork today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Just walked outside my house and its like the ground is moving there is so many ants :eek
    I feel all itchy looking at them..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

What? Who? Nope, not a clue do I have!
    O' well. Back to annoying the wife. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

100's in the Beer Garden I was in last night ,,,BXXstards kept on wanting to go for a swim in my pint !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_ant_day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

The only ones I have seen have been plastered to my bumper. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭líreacán

It's baaaaaaaaa-ack!!!

At first, you just see one or two with wings struggling along the ground...then maybe one or two fly into you on the way home...then more...they get caught in your hair, stuck to your cardi and next...you look down and they are ALL OVER THE GROUND!!!! Take cover!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nts

Saw tonnes of bluebottles today but no antflys.
    I like this thread getting bumped each year because it reminds me of eirebhoy.

Advertisement