Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours house left abandoned for over 10 years??

Options
  • 06-08-2009 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi, was'nt sure which thread this goes under so just put it in the DIY. My neighbours house has been left empty for over 10 years now. In this day and age it's a bit strange because if they have moved abroad they would surely be renting thes place out. I live in an estate where the other houses are either occupied by it's owners or rented out to tenants, students etc. I don't remember who owns the house as I would of been young at the time. I was wondering if anyone knows of a situation like this and if theres anyway of looking into the matter and maybe moving in myself..(long shot I know!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Start squatting in it. It'll be yours after 12 years :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

call the council. If they do nothing just move in. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Move in yourself, change the locks on the doors and start a record of your habitation there. Assuming you don't get booted out before 12 years time; the place is yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lennon84

Thanks for the replys. I wonder is there any way i could just say i was living there the last 12 years since it has been vacant that long? Be a bit hard though as the neighbours either side of the house could clearly see that the house has been empty. Any one have any ideas? p.s i'm not exactly the squatting type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

You're not living on Tory Island are you? Surely you have enough car parking space by now ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭gillo_100

You should be able to find out the name of the owner by checking Thoms directory if you want to, your local library should have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

lennon84 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys. I wonder is there any way i could just say i was living there the last 12 years since it has been vacant that long? Be a bit hard though as the neighbours either side of the house could clearly see that the house has been empty. Any one have any ideas? p.s i'm not exactly the squatting type.

My word, you're actually serious aren't you :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

I know at least two houses in the inner city that changed hand in just such a way. One of the oldest laws. Have you not heard the expression squatters rights

• Registered Users Posts: 83,634 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

wouldnt you need some bill or proof of adress from 12 years ago to claim squatters rights now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hell Toupee

It's either a contested will or it's haunted !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Person that owns the house could be in prison or perhaps in a nursing home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

2 stroke wrote: »
    Person that owns the house could be in prison or perhaps in a nursing home.

Is that why its in DIY ? are you going to do the house up for them as a suprise when they get out ?....best neighbour ever :D ( he might leave it to you in his will)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

It's not your house. Go get a job and get your own mortgage.

Advertisement