Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roundabout at Homebase/Supermacs Dublin Road

Options
  • 06-08-2009 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Has anyone else noticed the speed drivers are coming through that roundabout? usually from the side coming into town??

I live in Castle Oaks and frequently have near misses where cars coming into carlow are not yielding at the roundabout (or even slowing down) ploughing straight through like the roundabout does not exist :mad: :mad: :mad:

As I said I've had some real near misses. Saw the Gardai parked up by the roundabout a few times last month but it doesn't seem to have done anything. Anyone else experience this??

Rant over... I am now Ms. Happy again :p

(Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.....)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Hi Ms Happy...

You are so right. I too live Castle Oaks, and you take your life in your hands going into the estate from the Dublin side.
    So many times, I've had to stop on the middle of the roundabout because someone has pulled out in front of me.
    Is the roundabout invisible to other drivers or something???

It's only a matter of time before there's a serious accident there.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭HugoIrl

Too be honest its not just that roundabout there are bad drivers all over the place. I work near the roundabout coming into superquinn and I've seen drivers go round it the wrong way!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

True it does happen everywhere, one of the main places I have noticed it is the roundabout at the back of Fairgreen. Women drivers pulling out in front of cars and cutting across them to get into the centre.

Have noticed the Guards at the CastleOaks roundabout too a few times but normally just sitting in the car...maybe its the spot to get away from it all after a hard day.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

The worst has to be when you go from the Deerpark(Braun) roundabout to the Dr Cullen one. The amount of people who use the double lanes to jump ahead of people in the right hand lane is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

HugoIrl wrote: »
    Too be honest its not just that roundabout there are bad drivers all over the place. I work near the roundabout coming into superquinn and I've seen drivers go round it the wrong way!!!

I've seen that too!!! It's a bit scary seeing a car coming toward you when they obviously don't have a clue what they're doing.:eek:

• Advertisement

In comparrison to other towns I have to say Carlow has an unbelieveable ammount of roundabouts. I lived on the portlaoise road for a while and when I would drive home to my parents in Wicklow I would pass through an unbelieveable 8 roundabouts!

My driving instructor was right..... he said if you can drive in Carlow you can drive anywhere:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭HugoIrl

I find that's true, plus Carlow is definitely a pedestrian friendly the amount to crossings and lights is insane

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

We see a lot of nutters speeding from the town towards Dunnes that don't slow down. It makes coming out of the business park "interesting"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i am totally amazed when i see totally sane drivers coming around the corner at superquin heading towards dublin and kilkenny and stopping at the red traffic lights meant for the through traffic! i was crossing the road today at that corner near the bus park and a car came out from kenneddy avenue turning towards kilkenny and just stopped at the pedestrian lights meant for the dublin traffic thus holding up dozens of people and creating chaos for other traffic trying to use that junction.

shortly after when the lights on kennneddy avenue again turned green a car turned the corner heading towards dublin and again stopped at the pedestrian lights meant for traffic from the kilkenny road direction. have these people no shame to be showing their stupidity off to the whole town?

also at the roundabout out where the motorway is i have seen cars drive down the off-ramp and negotiate the roundabout without stopping and some barely slowing down, as if they have the right of way! again showing off their stupidity to all watching!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Ms Happy wrote: »
    Hi All,

Has anyone else noticed the speed drivers are coming through that roundabout? usually from the side coming into town??

I live in Castle Oaks and frequently have near misses where cars coming into carlow are not yielding at the roundabout (or even slowing down) ploughing straight through like the roundabout does not exist :mad: :mad: :mad:

As I said I've had some real near misses. Saw the Gardai parked up by the roundabout a few times last month but it doesn't seem to have done anything. Anyone else experience this??

Rant over... I am now Ms. Happy again :p

(Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.....)

Witnessed a guy going into town make sh!te of his Octavia's left front wheel (and likely suspension too) there a few weeks back while avoiding a dog that was crossing in the middle of the roundabout. In fairness it had been raining so the road was wet but this guy must have been going a bit too fast because when he braked he skidded in a straight line, mounted the footpath and stopped a fair bit past S'Macs building. Those of you who a familiar with that area will know that kerb is quite high.

Dog was seen scurrying up the road in the direction of Dublin, current whereabouts unknown.

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    i am totally amazed when i see totally sane drivers coming around the corner at superquin heading towards dublin and kilkenny and stopping at the red traffic lights meant for the through traffic! i was crossing the road today at that corner near the bus park and a car came out from kenneddy avenue turning towards kilkenny and just stopped at the pedestrian lights meant for the dublin traffic thus holding up dozens of people and creating chaos for other traffic trying to use that junction.

shortly after when the lights on kennneddy avenue again turned green a car turned the corner heading towards dublin and again stopped at the pedestrian lights meant for traffic from the kilkenny road direction. have these people no shame to be showing their stupidity off to the whole town?

The layout of that junction doesn't help; drivers unfamiliar with the system there are not sure if the lights are red because they are repeater lights for the Dub-KK traffic or if they are red because the little green man is about to light up and bodies step out. Generally with repeater lights there is only one light diagonally opposite on the far right-side of the junction, here there are two. This makes people think the lights are for the crossings.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    The layout of that junction doesn't help; drivers unfamiliar with the system there are not sure if the lights are red because they are repeater lights for the Dub-KK traffic or if they are red because the little green man is about to light up and bodies step out. Generally with repeater lights there is only one light diagonally opposite on the far right-side of the junction, here there are two. This makes people think the lights are for the crossings.
    the layout of the junction is absolutly fine and if drivers are so afraid that the little green man is going to pop out for the pedestrians they should not have turned the corner on an amber or red signal!! everyone else except these fools are able to follow the rules of the road and negotiate this junction safely and without holding up traffic in the whole town!

foggy_lad wrote: »
    the layout of the junction is absolutly fine and if drivers are so afraid that the little green man is going to pop out for the pedestrians they should not have turned the corner on an amber or red signal!! everyone else except these fools are able to follow the rules of the road and negotiate this junction safely and without holding up traffic in the whole town!

If you turn on red the other lights would either be green to allow traffic though or red to allow pedestrians cross, in either case you wouldn't be holding up anyone except other traffic-light jumpers.

If you turn on green or amber then the lights after the corner would be red, would they not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

HugoIrl wrote: »

Living in Ballon and it's bananas the amount of screeching tyres and skids from people that are caught out by right of way traffic as they speed through the village roundabout at the TOP garage. I know this sounds idiotic but I love pulling out in front of people as they speed toward the roundabout , and watching them freak out trying to slam on.... I'm sick and tired of people speeding through my village.... I'm totally sick of it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

kwalshe wrote: »
    Living in Ballon and it's bananas the amount of screeching tyres and skids from people that are caught out by right of way traffic as they speed through the village roundabout at the TOP garage. I know this sounds idiotic but I love pulling out in front of people as they speed toward the roundabout , and watching them freak out trying to slam on.... I'm sick and tired of people speeding through my village.... I'm totally sick of it..

You'll love doing it when they smash into you and both of you end up in hospital.

You're not far wrong, it doesn't just sound idiotic, it is.

SV wrote: »
    You'll love doing it when they smash into you and both of you end up in hospital.

You're not far wrong, it doesn't just sound idiotic, it is.

Yeah like I would actually pull out in front of somebody who I did'nt think would stop in time, use the conker eh!
    Maybe you missed my point , I'm on the roundabout with the right of way and they are speeding towards a Yield sign , and I'll say it again ..... I'm sick and tired of people speeding through my village.... I'm totally sick of it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

kwalshe wrote: »
    Yeah like I would actually pull out in front of somebody who I did'nt think would stop in time, use the conker eh!
    Maybe you missed my point , I'm on the roundabout with the right of way and they are speeding towards a Yield sign , and I'll say it again ..... I'm sick and tired of people speeding through my village.... I'm totally sick of it..

Yes, because you can tell if they'll be able to stop in time.
    Sure they're brakes are always going to be in top form and as for the tires?! Full thread all the time!

You may very well be sick of people speeding through the village but what you're saying there that you do is pure idiocy and is going to get someone killed.

SV wrote: »
    Yes, because you can tell if they'll be able to stop in time.
    Sure they're brakes are always going to be in top form and as for the tires?! Full thread all the time!

You may very well be sick of people speeding through the village but what you're saying there that you do is pure idiocy and is going to get someone killed.
    Ok SV I take your point it would be idiotic , maybe I should have worded my original post better, I don't pull out in front of people, I merely exercise my right of way on the junction, I don't wait there for people to come and then go out into junction. A scenario that happens to me regulary is this, happens a least once a week and when I'm bringing my kiddies for walks in the village I see it happening too.
    When you exiting the Top garage taking the 3rd exit of the roundabout(granted it is a fried egg stupidity roundabout) towards Carlow , as I proceed , indicator signalling right, a car will come in at speed from the Wexford side and either keeps going or jams on hard for him and people behind him, both instances leave me stranded in middle of roundabout after stopping to avoid a collision.
    This invariably causes a similar reaction to the traffic coming from the carlow side of the roundabout to jam on aswell as I'm trying to get out of the way.
    I'm a lover of driving like yourself SV, I travel approx 1500kms a week with my job in my 2.0 TDi car and love doing every metre of it, I have an certified advanced driving qualification as part of the job and I'm tested on this with work, I even have a copy of Roadcraft and An Advanced Drivers Handbook so I'm take in interest in how this stuff should work.
    Anyway as I said I agree with you it would be idiotic , just wanted to clarify what the craic was... Now the heads in a happy place..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

blacknight wrote: »
    We see a lot of nutters speeding from the town towards Dunnes that don't slow down. It makes coming out of the business park "interesting"

I met a Carlow Couriers van coming from Dunnes direction once, on the wrong side of the roundabout, flaking it through it.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    If you turn on red the other lights would either be green to allow traffic though or red to allow pedestrians cross, in either case you wouldn't be holding up anyone except other traffic-light jumpers.

If you turn on green or amber then the lights after the corner would be red, would they not?
    the problem is that drivers are turning on green then stopping at the pedestrian crossing(which they should drive through) and this leaves cars queing up behind them which then blocks other traffic from the bus park etc when the lights turn green for them.

• Advertisement

Ms Happy wrote: »
    Hi All,

Nearly killed here again last night by an eastern european driver who had no concept of the rules of the road in relation to roundabouts.

Went to the Garda station to report not just the driver but the incident itself. the Garda on duty had not interest at all, wrote the reg down on a scrap of paper and muttered something about contacting the council.

I hate this roundabout sooooooooooooooooooo much.

Advertisement