Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price quoted ex-VAT

Options
  • 06-08-2009 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

Question,

I'm buying an expensive item as a consumer (standard consumer item being sold by a company that mainly deals with consumers, i.e. not to businesses).
    Met the sales guy, agreed a price.
    Item gone for production.
    Invoice emailed out to me a couple of weeks later.

No deposits or anything paid yet.

The invoice reveals that the agreed price was ex-VAT (according to the company). I wasn't expecting that. What's my standing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭billyblanks

I would of thought that all retail items have to be priced including VAT..

Scroll down to VAT section....

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Print-versions-of-guides/NCA-prices-guide.html

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

I would of thought that all retail items have to be priced including VAT..

Scroll down to VAT section....

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Print-versions-of-guides/NCA-prices-guide.html

The link seems to agree.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Since you haven't yet paid anything, and they only gave the invoice after the agreed price, you could very well walk away, or offer to pay the original agreed (VAT exclusive) price as full payment. They may accept, as if they don't they'll be out of pocket.

Yeah, there are a few questions hanging over this purchase. Just wanted to be clear where I stood on this one.

Hoping to find an easy resolution to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

brianmc wrote: »
    I'm buying an expensive item as a consumer (standard consumer item being sold by a company that mainly deals with consumers, i.e. not to businesses).
    What is the business, and what is the item, & where did you meet the guy (i.e. was it blatantly obvious to him you were not buying it for business use). I doubt you have any standing, but am curious as I often see prices without VAT, both in catalogues and quotes I get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

rubadub wrote: »
    What is the business, and what is the item, & where did you meet the guy (i.e. was it blatantly obvious to him you were not buying it for business use). I doubt you have any standing, but am curious as I often see prices without VAT, both in catalogues and quotes I get.

B2B or B2C?

I may be mistaken but I kind of remember that for B2C it is a legal requirement to show inc VAT. The price you see is the price you pay [e&oe]

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Buying as a consumer, you have a reasonable expectation that quoted prices will include VAT. I'd point this out to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

RangeR wrote: »
    B2B or B2C?

I may be mistaken but I kind of remember that for B2C it is a legal requirement to show inc VAT. The price you see is the price you pay [e&oe]
    Most of the time I am buying B2C, but I am often not surprised they do not include VAT, e.g. I rang a hardware store to get a high-end heat gun, got to the place and had to knock on the door to get in, it was really a trade only place, I just rang up as I heard they stock them and the price. It was only 1 of 2 places said to stock them, and in hindsight it was understandable they thought I was a builder in the trade, and the guy on the phone might have presumed it too. Most "B2C" people will not be buying high-end equpiment like this. (they let me off the VAT BTW :))

The OP already said it was expensive and had to meet a sales guy, so he might have assumed he was a professional.

This is what I am curious about with the OP's situation, he also said "mainly deal" with the public, so I am guessing it is not the likes of argos...

It happens the other way too, I get quotes in for items where it should be obvious it is for work, and they include VAT. There are sort of grey areas like radionics, farnell, viking, where you can go in off the street, but catalogues will exclude VAT.

Details don't really matter that much...

This is very much a clearly B2C situation and, to be honest, I can't imagine this guy ever having a "trade" customer. It's just the nature of his product.

The link does seem to suggest that the VAT inclusive price is a legal requirement in B2C cases.

Anyhow, in this instance it turns out that it was an invoicing mistake and the price I was quoted was intended to be the inclusive price and now will be.

Thanks all.

Advertisement