Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Statutory Instruments

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Mac Tire wrote: »
    Hi again all....What about this GSM Back-up yoke??? I take it that an 'eircom' monitored alarm isnt what their chatting about....

The Eircom Phonewatch uses your normal telephone line, OR a GSM (mobile phone SIM card, independent of landline AND electricity supply) if you don't have a phone line, OR a telephone line AND a GSM as a backup in case your phone line is cut by feckers.

As I read it you'll have to have the Phonewatch (or other PSA ok co.) system with both if you fall into that category. That's expensive. I know several people who have their own alarm dialler that rings them, next door, etc. But it seems now that monitored is the one to have. When filling out the Phonewatch form there's a section asking if there are firearms in the house so perhaps those activations are dealt with as a priority/with caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

rrpc wrote: »
    Which is for exactly one year after it was issued (at most).
    In which case, every year he signs off on me afresh...
    (and no, not my problem if he doesn't see me in the interim, that's his job, not mine. The law remains the same regardless).
    But they don't know if there's a problem. They're just asking you and a few friends if there is :)
    That could be interesting, all my shooting friends are generally well-described by the phrase "cracked hoor" considering the amount of time, energy, money, blood, sweat and tears they put into the sport...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

G17 wrote: »
    The Eircom Phonewatch uses your normal telephone line, OR a GSM (mobile phone SIM card, independent of landline AND electricity supply) if you don't have a phone line, OR a telephone line AND a GSM as a backup in case your phone line is cut by feckers.

As I read it you'll have to have the Phonewatch (or other PSA ok co.) system with both if you fall into that category. That's expensive. I know several people who have their own alarm dialler that rings them, next door, etc. But it seems now that monitored is the one to have. When filling out the Phonewatch form there's a section asking if there are firearms in the house so perhaps those activations are dealt with as a priority/with caution.

Is it much hassle to get the fitted monitored Eircom tricked up to this 'GSM' crack too??? I have the monitored alarm all fitted and approved by CPO.....Cheers for the help ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Meyer

Just a quick question, I have 2 restricted firearms so I don't require a monitored alarm? Does this still apply if I add another non-restricted firearm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Callow Man

Meyer wrote: »
    Just a quick question, I have 2 restricted firearms so I don't require a monitored alarm? Does this still apply if I add another non-restricted firearm?

According to the schedule a monitored alarm only applies to 3 or more restricted firearms or 6 or more of any type of firearm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Is it much hassle to get the fitted monitored Eircom tricked up to this 'GSM' crack too??? I have the monitored alarm all fitted and approved by CPO.....Cheers for the help ;)

No, not much hassle really. I got the GSM fitted a while ago (I had the normal Eircom Phonewatch but was concerned about the phone line outside the door) and now my system runs on both the normal line and the GSM. If the line is cut the GSM will still send the alarm to the monitoring centre. It just means you will have to make some space for an extra box being installed somewhere near your original Eircom Phonewatch panel (the box is a bit large for my liking).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sparks wrote: »
    In which case, every year he signs off on me afresh...
    Just being pedantic you understand, but he doesn't sign renewals, that's delegated to a sergeant.

New acts make a number of changes and it's best to take a read of them in the context of the new form. The old days are gone for good it seems.

Got a reply from Brian from Duffy's Fishing and Shooting today. I have his permission to post his reply here:
    Brian wrote:
    I have consulted with Infac Irl nad they have assured me that all Infac gun safes meet if not exceed BS 7558, they are made in Spain and the Spanish have an equivalent standard to BS 7558, as soon as I have the relevant info I will post it on the website.

As soon as the info is up on his page I will gladly post a link to it here.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Sparks wrote: »
    In section 2.3, where it says (C) at the top, meaning that if it's a new application, you must fill this bit out.

Because of the Firearms Act, Section 4, specifically a combination of subsection 1:and subsection 2, part b:.

If I've been signed off on for seven years by a Garda Superintendent as being safe to have a firearm under 4(2)(b), what's the point of asking for a character reference? He knows who I am. If I was some random unknown person, I could understand it (and I'm told that's the intent); but making it mandatory is, to my mind at least, just looking for something to fail an application on. And if there's reason to fail an application, I'd rather it was done openly instead of pointing any civil lawsuit towards your character references instead of towards the Superintendent.

Asking applicants who have already had licences for years to produce character references... it's just plain dodgy.

My FO says,: My wife and someone who can attest to my good character....if I can find one:(

Any lads suffering Legislation overload yet
    anyway to sumarize

1 shotgun not restricted (break it into pieces and hide) easier buying a safe
    2-6 firearms not restricted (safe and proper locks on windows fitted to BS....)
    over 6 not restricted monitored alarm with bells and whistles and safe

I note safe is used but the standards mentioned are for "cabinets":confused:

• Advertisement

Any lads suffering Legislation overload yet
    anyway to sumarize

1 firearm not restricted (break it into pieces and hide) easier buying a safe
    It's actually one shotgun.

ok fixed :othanks for that is the rest a good summary

ok fixed :othanks for that is the rest a good summary
    Well there are four levels, and you've just listed three.

You can split it to restricted and non-restricted and leave out level one as purely for a single shotgun.

Restricted
    • One firearm - Safe
    • Two firearms - Safe, proper locks and normal alarm system
    • Three or more firearms - The full works; bells, whistles and GSM.

Non-restricted
    • Three or less firearms - Safe
    • Four or five firearms - Safe, proper locks and normal alarm system
    • Six or more firearms - The full works; bells, whistles and GSM.

I was just smiling to myself whilst typing that up, thinking of my previous Sergeant with whom I had a protracted mexican stand-off where he insisted (despite the fact that I had proof) that you couldn't have more than one rifle.

There may well be a few shocked Gardai around the country reading this stuff over the next few weeks :D

There may well be a few shocked Gardai around the country reading this stuff over the next few weeks :D

I can type this, I can type this, i i it's g gg gg getttting, s sss ss standardised for all cc cc concerned.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

I was just smiling to myself whilst typing that up, thinking of my previous Sergeant with whom I had a protracted mexican stand-off where he insisted (despite the fact that I had proof) that you couldn't have more than one rifle.

Let all such Gardai read the second answer in the PQIRT's on their website.

"THERE IS NO LIMIT"

G17 wrote: »
    I can type this, I can type this, i i it's g gg gg getttting, s sss ss standardised for all cc cc concerned.

Your local guard has a stammer?

Sandy22 wrote: »
    Let all such Gardai read the second answer in the PQIRT's on their website.

"THERE IS NO LIMIT"
    That caused a wry smile too.

There'll be a lot of illusions shattered over the next few weeks. If nothing else, this process will be an education for everybody...

....I hope ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Yes it looks like the "smoke and mirrors" aspect of firearms licensing as experienced by some applicants will be no more and we will have a standardised process in its place;)
    Now ... if only the guidelines were published:)

Your local guard has a stammer?

He will have that, at least, when me and 'er indoors arrive with a wheelbarrow full of paper work!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

Just looking at the secure storage bit also,external doors to be fitted with locks to bs standard
    I checked all my doors and they are all the multi bolt locking type but no bsi kite mark on any of them.
    are we going to have to change our doors and windows aswell????

infac safe no mark either...

• Advertisement

daveob007 wrote: »
    infac safe no mark either...

Info on Infac was posted further up (or down depending on how you view the posts):

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61495070&postcount=69

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 DMZ

Preusse wrote: »
    Info on Infac was posted further up (or down depending on how you view the posts):

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61495070&postcount=69

Another little gem, the original SI on restricted firearms is currenlty being amended, I wonder what little surprises are in store for us when that publishes.

Of course the original SI was a mess, but it would be too much to expect an improved document I would expect more draconian and unreasonable definitions or perhaps they might be integrating the *tsa list of olympic style pistols!

Least I get sanctioned for the above statement, it is a factual statement of concern, the list has been circulated and well know, I would be concerned that it would now be integrated into the new restricted list SI!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

Preusse wrote: »
    No, not much hassle really. I got the GSM fitted a while ago (I had the normal Eircom Phonewatch but was concerned about the phone line outside the door) and now my system runs on both the normal line and the GSM. If the line is cut the GSM will still send the alarm to the monitoring centre. It just means you will have to make some space for an extra box being installed somewhere near your original Eircom Phonewatch panel (the box is a bit large for my liking).

thanks for the info Preusse....Are we talking larger than the Standard alarm panel here??

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Can I just clear this one up please? Is the Secure Accomodation SI a minimum .... Or ..... Can the super just go ahead and make everyone get a monitored alarm for example?!? After all, the new licence has space for whatever conditions deemed necessary by the licencing authority??!?

bigred wrote: »
    Can I just clear this one up please? Is the Secure Accomodation SI a minimum .... Or ..... Can the super just go ahead and make everyone get a monitored alarm for example?!? After all, the new licence has space for whatever conditions deemed necessary by the licencing authority??!?

These are minimum standards, if he deems the need to apply stricter standards to any individual the legislation allows him to do so. Back to the good old days. Interestingly there is no legislation that allows the CPO to visit your house! So will they still plod in your door, yes they probably will.

DMZ wrote: »
    Another little gem, the original SI on restricted firearms is currenlty being amended, I wonder what little surprises are in store for us when that publishes.
    Good grief, for a chap only interested in taking up target pistol shooting in December, you sure got yourself well informed very quickly.

Newbies for ya :rolleyes:

Good grief, for a chap only interested in taking up target pistol shooting in December, you sure got yourself well informed very quickly.

Newbies for ya :rolleyes:

Legal background, not hard to research the current situation with all the information in the public domain! A few phone calls, easy really, New to shooting but not to politics!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

DMZ wrote: »

Of course the original SI was a mess, but it would be too much to expect an improved document I would expect more draconian and unreasonable definitions or perhaps they might be integrating the *tsa list of olympic style pistols!

Least I get sanctioned for the above statement, it is a factual statement of concern, the list has been circulated and well know, I would be concerned that it would now be integrated into the new restricted list SI!
    Hi DMZ, what's your concern exactly? The Restricted SI says "designed for use in connection with competitions governed by International Olympic Committee regulations" etc. Other pistols are already restricted.

thanks for the info Preusse....Are we talking larger than the Standard alarm panel here??

Hi Mac Tire,

only slightly. I just measured it and its 25.5cm x 25.5cm x 8.5cm.

• Advertisement

fat-tony wrote: »
    Hi DMZ, what's your concern exactly? The Restricted SI says "designed for use in connection with competitions governed by International Olympic Committee regulations" etc. Other pistols are already restricted.

My point is a simple one, there will be an amended SI on restricted firearms and it will issue in the coming weeks, we will see, but it is realistic to be concerned considering the bull that has been floating around for the last couple of months.

Advertisement