Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dixons tax free Gatwick

Options
  • 06-08-2009 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi all, I was wondering if someone could tell me what the Irish tax implications are for purchasing electronic items of circa £1300 are in the Dixons tax free shop in Gatwick are?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They won't sell it to you tax free unless you're leaving the EU. You then can't (legally) bring that back in without paying the VAT at the point of entry.You would go through the "Items to declare" channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Qwertyuiop

That sounds like old tosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Why?

When you go to buy, they ask you for your boarding card. They then know if you're travelling international or within Europe. If within the EU then the add the appropriate VAT.

Simple as that.

From their website:
    We offer ALL customers the same price regardless of whether they are travelling within the UK, the EU or around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Qwertyuiop wrote: »
    That sounds like old tosh.
    From their website:
    We offer ALL customers the same price regardless of whether they are travelling within the UK, the EU or around the world.

Then why come here and rubbish the information given to you?
    Why not ring Irish Customs and ask the pros?

• Advertisement

Because, perhaps, just perhaps someone may have done it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

To say someone had done it before is irrelevant. They may not have LEGALLY done it before.

You will NOT get help on dodging this on these boards.

The Customs people will be able to tell you 100% what you legal obligations are. Dixons may not.

Wow, what a barrel of laughs you are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

There are no implcations. AFAIK you are still paying VAT on it, Dixons are merely giving you a discount on the high street prices which happens to be equivalent to the rate of VAT.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

They may offer the same price (before VAT) but they will still need to charge you VAT as that is the Irish law and applies to any airport with in EU for a domestic flight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

From their website:

They cannot sell anything duty free if you are not traveling outside the EU, it's illegal. Therefore, they must be covering the VAT themselves, by just reducing the price. You'll get a VAT receipt and there should be no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Hi all, I was wondering if someone could tell me what the Irish tax implications are for purchasing electronic items of circa £1300 are in the Dixons tax free shop in Gatwick are?

Thanks

It's not *actually* tax free. Dixons are absorbing the cost of the VAT. So you have absolutely nothing to worry about. I've bought a few things from the Dixons "tax free" in Edinburgh airport while on my way home to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

eth0_ wrote: »
    It's not *actually* tax free. Dixons are absorbing the cost of the VAT. So you have absolutely nothing to worry about. I've bought a few things from the Dixons "tax free" in Edinburgh airport while on my way home to Ireland.

+1, have done likewise myself in Heathrow. Dixons are paying the tax
    so it's not duty free in the traditional sense. With the changes in Terminal
    1 it makes it now easier to access the shop.

http://www.dixonstaxfree.co.uk/

I've saved a fair amount on several items and the ring and reserve makes it easy.

Advertisement