Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac and Wirless

Options
  • 06-08-2009 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi I hope this is the right forum. basically, I bought a Mac abouth three months ago and it was working fine with my eircom wireless until about a month ago. Since then it has been slow if I get it at all and drops out when I can manage to get it. I rang Eircom (useless) and they said I need to reconfigure the mac for wireless? It works grand when I bring it to anyother place with wireless which would suggest to me the problem isnt the mac. Any help would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Is there another laptop that's working ok? (i.e. can you isolate the problem to be the wireless or the mac?)

I'd suggest that some neighbour of yours has got wireless installed also, and is drowning out your signal. You can change the channel your wireless operates on by logging into the router. Change it to 1, 7 or 11, and away from whatever it's on, and try again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

In fairness to Eircom or any isp wireless is not their problem. They provide a signal to your home or office and thats it.

First thing to do is to check via ethernet if the signal is ok.

If it is then you start your wireless diagnosis. See if there are other wireless networks around as Snappie suggests and change the channel too.

Also have any wireless gizmos been added in your home? things like wireless tv senders can be disastrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 SA1

Hi guys, just thought I would fill ye in on what is rapidly becoming a saga. Rang Apple and after about an hour on the phone I am no better off. Basically they say hardware and software is working fine on macbook. Fair enough as it works grand on other peoples networks. Basically they want me to try and change the channel as was so helpfully suggested here. The only thing is that my brother came down with his macbook and had no problems using my router for wireless, as have friends with their laptops. This would seem to indicate the problem is with my mac. So will try changing the channel, they suggested two up or down from what it currently is. Hopefully that will help. Pray for me!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I wonder if in some way the settings which the Mac is holding for your network have become corrupted? Can you clear all the networks from your mac?

Go into network in system preferences and then go into advance - you should see network details there. Try clearing them. You could also try renaming the Wireless network on the netopia. This should help the mac to see it as a different network.

Advertisement