Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dissertation + Skype

Options
  • 06-08-2009 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

I start a taught masters in september i know its early but i have been coming up with ideas on what i should do my thesis on however i was just wondering would it be possible or allowed if i wanted to use skype to contact external experts acedemics or to contact research subjects.

Any advice you could offer would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CathalMc

Your supervisor(s) probably has/ve ideas already. So talk to them first, even under the pretense of determining what specific area "to think about". Most likely you'll get a better understanding of the situation then. The research element of taught masters is pretty small, so its possible they might want to waste their PhD-level research on the taught-masters students. However, frequently a good masters may be a small collaborative part of a larger (other person's) PhD project. So you could ask other students in your department for opportunities like that.

As for contacting external academics with or without skype - go for it. They might not be terribly liberal with their own ideas, but they might be willing to discuss the current state-of-the-art in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyberwit

Thanks thats very interesting just thinking about it at the moment should be really enjoying my last few weeks but you know

Advertisement