Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 Cylinder Focus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

No way engine would have pooed itself in the first 20 min and made one hell of a racket in that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

i thought they were making a new Focus with 3 cylinders. but this is better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Thats certainly odd - my first reaction was 'FAKE', particularly over the 'sparkplug mis-fitting required head to come off' bit. What are the chances of a new sparkplug breaking and falling into the one bore in the garage that didn't have a piston? Its more likely that when he took the old plug out he noticed that it wasn't used at all and had a poke around (or dropped a screwdriver down the bore while looking for the piston!)

Either way, it looks like Mr. Ford has egg on his face for selling a motor with only three working pots and its amazing they never noticed it driving like a Daihatsu Charade.

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

My first reaction is "FAKE". The pin is worn, there is no mention of checking the sump for the remains of the piston, I imagine that 80mph in a 1.4 on three cylinders would be a struggle, there would not have been a smooth idle which any decent mechanic (decent home mechanic even) would have found that no.1 piston wasn't performing. There are marks on the top of the rod as well, suggesting the something hit it. It couldn't have been the head/spark plug as the rod wouldn't reach. So the only thing left was the remains of the piston. I also find it hard to understand that a compression test wasn't done as part of the initial problem diagnosis.

I've been in a car that had a piston break, and it was the most spectacular death ever, as the piston left the engine through the sump. How the devil did that keep going?

But, I've seen the way a friend of mine looks after his Mondeo (services once every 30K miles!), maybe the ford could take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I'm pretty sure it's legit, I'm a regular on there and know Knighty (editor of VW Ultra) isn't one for wind-ups, especially one as elaborate as this.

He could of course be the victim... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

But for every tankful of petrol, would one quarter of it not have gone in to that empty cylinder and straight into the oil? And a spark would ignite all the fuel vapor and oil in the sump and the whole lot would go up wouldn't it? I doubt it's real, no way you could have that rod whacking up and down loosely in a cylinder for that long and something else not breaking with the vibrations.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

1.4 Focus isn't exactly lightning fast running on all 4 cylinders! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

We'll just have to wait and see, the thread was removed pending a response/resolution from Ford.

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?p=6229335

Advertisement