Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oakfield Park

Options
  • 06-08-2009 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭

Has anyone been to this park near Raphoe? Planning to go on Saturday if the weather is good and just wondering what it's like - are there any picnic benches there, for example? Definitley looking forward to a go on the train :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Has anyone been to this park near Raphoe? Planning to go on Saturday if the weather is good and just wondering what it's like - are there any picnic benches there, for example? Definitley looking forward to a go on the train :)

According to thaty website there are picnic benches

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Never even knew it existed! Looks like a nice enough place to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Havent been there myself yet but hope to take a trip before the summer is over. (what summer I hear you say) I have driven past it a few times and it looks great.

Its owned by Gerry Robinson - the guy who is on TV at the moment investing money in various businesses. His house and gardens are on the opposite side of the road and I think he and his wife open the gardens up to the public on one or two days each year and it is a sight to behold I am told. There is an admission fee which I understand goes to charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

It's open now from Wednesday - Sunday until the end of August (I think). I always missed the one or two days opening in previous years. If all goes well and the weather favours it, I will report back after Saturday to let you all know what it's like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Mac055

God i didn't even know it existed and my home place is only a few miles away!! Looks beautiful, i'll have to take a spin over there. Let me know what it's like please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Well, the weather was lovely yesterday so we headed off for Oakfield Park and had a brilliant day. I can hardly believe this place was virtually on my doorstep. Entrance fee is €5, with €3 extra for the train ride, but kids under 3 free for everything. The train is small, but goes round the gardens for 4kms - all the kids enjoyed it, even those of us who were well into our second childhood :D
    Loads of walks and things to see - a castle, nymphaeum, waterfall, parterre, flowers, ponds, jungle jim, trees, trees and more trees. The place is extremely well kept and a pleasure to walk around. Great picnic benches beside the car park - mind you, the only drizzle we experienced was when we sat down to eat and we had to prop umbrellas on the tables :)
    But the absolute best for me was the adult swing from a huge tree near the house (and what a house, but private). If you haven't been on one in YEARS, it's an experience not to be missed. I can't wait to go back and have another go! It closes at the end of August, so anyone who wants to go will have to get a move on - the train only runs at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

Here is the link to Oakfield park, the has directions to it for people that are interested:

http://www.oakfieldpark.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

Great website! It's a great example of what can be done with a little imagination!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

It's a great example of what can be done with a little imagination!
    And a whole lot of money ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 pesy

The inside of this mans house is amazing...it has a large indoor swimming pool, tennis courts at the back of the manor and lots of land.... was invited there once by mr.robinson for a bbq and party which he had for the belarus childrens charity..one which he sponsors very generously 2!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement