Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new album released today: "1995"

Options
  • 06-08-2009 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭

Today I release my new album "1995".

thumb1995.jpg

At first glance this may appear to be just another collection of songs, albeit in more of the acoustic, melodic style than the usual harder rock style that I do with Texas Galaxy. That may be correct, but the twist is that all of these songs were written in 1995. Hence the clever album title.

I wrote an awful lot during that period, and thought it would be fun to record one or two of these old songs that I still really liked. That led me to do more and more, until soon I had a fully fledged album project on my hands. The good thing was, as all the songs had been written and slaved over 14 years previously, I had very little to do except realise the arrangements I had in my head, and make sure they were recorded properly.

The songs themselves are simple, straightforward, all romantically inclined; melodic, upbeat, and somewhat naive lyrically. But it is this youthful naivety that attracts me to them; I wasn't trying to say anything deep here, more "it is what it is". I didn't change one lyric or melody from the originals (lucky I was able to remember them all). Musically it is also very simple: acoustic guitar, piano, drums, some embellishments like hammond organ and electric piano. I say simple but then I remembered I put strings on "Blackberry Lane" and trumpets on the reprise and on "What Can It Be"!

Anyway these are some of my favourite "old" songs; so take them as they are at face value, from the mind of a young 20 year old who just liked to write songs about girls.

The songs:
    1. Blackberry Lane
    2. Where Was My Goodbye?
    3. Sunday Afternoon (Fallen In Love)
    4. What Can It Be?
    5. So Far Away
    6. If & When
    7. Letting It Rain
    8. Another Day For Stories
    9. We've Had A Wonderful Day
    10. Raining
    11. Photograph