Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems connecting Mac to a Wireless Network that has a PC on it.

Options
  • 06-08-2009 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had this problem? We got UPC broadband in yesterday and my PC can connect wirelessly without a problem. My flatmates MacBook can only detect the signal when it is right beside the router and even then it's a very poor signal.
    Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Have you ruled out the Macbook as a problem? i.e. How does the Macbook perform on another wireless network.

Have you ruled out the router? i.e. Reboot the router, do not connect a PC to it and then try to connect the Macbook on it's own

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Germag

running 24ins iMac, old iMac, 2 PC's, 1 Mac book and 1Mac book pro. Some wired some wireless, all on a netopia router with eircom. No problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

the macbook works fine on other networks.
    just restarted the router there. same problem

littlejp wrote: »
    the macbook works fine on other networks.
    just restarted the router there. same problem

Did you ensure the only device connected was the Macbook? If so then it would appear to be a router problem. As to what the problem is I'm not sure - what's the make/model of your wireless router?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Would you by any chance have mac access turned on on the router?

Have you tried chaning the wireless channel?

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    Would you by any chance have mac access turned on on the router?

Have you tried chaning the wireless channel?

As in MAC (Machine Address Code) restrictions? Surely that'd prevent connection, but not signal?

You could be on to something regarding channels, but that would affect all users and not just the Mac Wifi, no?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

As in MAC (Machine Address Code) restrictions? Surely that'd prevent connection, but not signal?

You could be on to something regarding channels, but that would affect all users and not just the Mac Wifi, no?

The mac restriction shouldnt affect signal but I am clutching at straws here:)

Heh, I was genuinely curious there..that's some good clutching, had me baffled :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The fact that a PC is already on the network doesn't matter to a Mac, tbh I've found connecting macs to networks (especially if switching back and forth between numerous ones) to be much better on macs compared to Windows

Cabaal wrote: »
    The fact that a PC is already on the network doesn't matter to a Mac, tbh I've found connecting macs to networks (especially if switching back and forth between numerous ones) to be much better on macs compared to Windows

For some reason my WRT54GL wouldn't assign an IP via DHCP when I connected the Macbook Pro to it via ethernet cable when there was a PC already connected to it. I've tried even using open source software on it to no avail. When I hook up a mac I've to reset the router for it to work.

If I have a PC connected to the cable modem and I remove the ethernet cable from the PC and put it into a Mac then it won't work. I have to reset the cable modem and it works. I've used different cable modems and different Macbooks too, same issue.

Just to throw out a reason why I was approaching this line of thought ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement