Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laminate floor with underfloor heating

Options
  • 06-08-2009 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all,
    I have underfloor heating and am planning to install a laminate floor over it. I know that with wood, or semi-solid floors you have to leave the boards for a week or two in the house with heating on to let the boards expand & contract etc before laying them to prevent warping. My question is: does this apply to laminate as well? Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Its funny but honestly I dont know myself and i know about the would. I always leave the laminate in the room a while anyway. Perhaps someone else can help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hell Toupee

+ 1 on Joey the Lips advice,
    I always give laminate the same respect as a wooden floor and let it acclimatize to the room before laying.

Here from the horses mouth is the manufacturers installation manual for laying laminate over UF Heating:

http://www.quick-step.com/europe/uk/en/faq/0008.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 83,634 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I would say yes. Laminates are still close enough in manufacture to Engineered and Solid Hardwoods. They just happen to be printed on MDF board.

But whadda I know, I've only been hired by a Hardfloor retailer for 6 weeks :D I'll ask my boss tomorrow, though theyve probably never had to answer the question - its Carolina. Who heats a floor in Carolina? :pac:

Always doublecheck with the vendor - in Joeys case, Quickstep. Shaw and Wilsonart are two other upper end laminate vendors that spring to mind also.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,634 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Boss says theres a fair chance you would have to prepare Laminate the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 curlyjane

thanks for all replies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement