Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network type?

Options
  • 06-08-2009 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Quick question on the networking and sharing center under windows vista. Whats the difference if any between a private and public connection? The information you get in the windows help center is a bit ambiguous...
    Im running a public connection at the moment-is this more secure than a private connection?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Private network allows file/print sharing and network discovery (where other users on the network can see you).

Public network does not allow those things.

For internet usage, public network is what you want because you don't want to allow Joe Internets access to your files/printers or discover you over the network ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Ok thanks :)

In relation to file sharing windows says i have this on..the button to turn this off is greyed out.. it says i should use my firewall to change this setting. Futhermore network discovery is set to neither on or off but 'custom settings'. I'm using comodo firewall with most settings near maximum. I dont suppose you know what any of this means? :confused: Paranoid that neighbors are hacking into my laptop.. eek.

Network Discovery
    This is a mixed state in which some settings related to network discovery are enabled, but not all of them. For example, network discovery could be turned on, but you or your system administrator might have disabled a firewall exception that affects network discovery.

Network discovery requires that the dnscache, fdrespub, ssdpsrv, and upnphost services are started, that the Windows Firewall exception for network discovery is enabled, and that other firewalls are not interfering with network discovery. If some but not all of these are true, the network discovery state will be shown as Custom.

I'd wager your Comodo firewall is preventing Network Discovery from doing it's regular business, so Vista shows it up as Custom. It's nothing to worry about, mine is custom too. Network discovery only lets other people on your network know you're there. They can't do anything to you.

Something of note for Comodo Firewall and turning Network Discovery & File Sharing off
    http://forums.comodo.com/empty-t23605.0.html
    What you want is impossible with CFP. Here is why. In order for network discovery off, and file sharing off, windows firewall MUST BE ON!!! Its dumb I know, however CFP will protect you from incoming connections, so even if those options are on your safe. The other options CAN be disable with out having windows firewall on.

That link you sent me helped a lot :)

Following info from comodo forum i've put comodo into 'stealth all ports' under the firewall. Though i haven't disabled netbios settings needed for file sharing. I'm annoyed with windows for this. Its possible hackers can see my computer now..but to be honest i need use my computer for utorrent so some visibility is a necessary risk. I was thinking a getting a mac some time soon..then i could be virus free :D

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    That link you sent me helped a lot :)

Following info from comodo forum i've put comodo into 'stealth all ports' under the firewall. Though i haven't disabled netbios settings needed for file sharing. I'm annoyed with windows for this. Its possible hackers can see my computer now..but to be honest i need use my computer for utorrent so some visibility is a necessary risk. I was thinking a getting a mac some time soon..then i could be virus free :D

I use Windows firewall, I'm virus free. You could open up one port for uTorrent and that's the only one that's open. If you want to run a stealth check then Google for "Shields Up!" by GRC. Don't go grabbing the tinfoil hat just yet ;)

• Advertisement

With all due respect windows firewall? i know that the firewall in windows live onecare is not the exact same as windows firewall but are they not similar enough? im using comodo firewall as it is the best free firewall according to
    http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php

I have a healthy paranoia of everything i don't trust. That include my neighbors:rolleyes:

With all due respect windows firewall? i know that the firewall in windows live onecare is not the exact same as windows firewall but are they not similar enough? im using comodo firewall as it is the best free firewall according to
    http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php

I have a healthy paranoia of everything i don't trust. That include my neighbors:rolleyes:

I know my system like the back of my hand, constantly monitor for rootkits and other infiltrations. Windows Firewall and Avast! are doing just the job but I've got Windows Firewall very well set up :D

But why windows firewall? why not comodo, Kapserksy or one of the many decent firewalls out there?

On a slightly separate note can someone hack into my computer to see what im doing via my webcam?

But why windows firewall? why not comodo, Kapserksy or one of the many decent firewalls out there?

On a slightly separate note can someone hack into my computer to see what im doing via my webcam?

Because Windows Firewall does what it needs to do - block incoming connections and outbound ones can be monitored too in Vista. That's all a firewall is and while not being the most friendly firewall it does it's job :)

If your computer is compromised, then it's possible that somebody might enable your webcam. That's why most webcams have a light that indicates if it's active :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Any decent modem also has an SPI firewall which if you know how to set it up you won't have problems

MC

• Advertisement

So are you saying i should use Windows firewall instead of Comodo firewall?

So are you saying i should use Windows firewall instead of Comodo firewall?

Not unless you know well what you're doing ;)

Advertisement