Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sect 5.1 of NEW Firearms Application Forms is incorrect? yes or no.

Options
  • 06-08-2009 4:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

This section asks whether or not you intend to hunt with your firearm.
    Its seems to be the same as the old text i.e. do you intend to hunt exempted wild mammals according to the wildlife acts if so please provide your licence to do so from the NWPS.

Last time I looked, no licence was required to hunt exempted animals, although you needed it recorded on you FAC.:confused:

Is there something here that i have missed? Or Perhaps there will be new regs on hunting Licences that have yet to show them selfs.:eek:

PS what about birds?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Its seems to be the same as the old text i.e. do you intend to hunt exempted wild mammals according to the wildlife acts if so please provide your licence to do so from the NWPS.

Last time I looked, no licence was required to hunt exempted animals, although you needed it recorded on you FAC.:confused:

Is there something here that i have missed? Or Perhaps there will be new regs on hunting Licences that have yet to show them selfs.:eek:

PS what about birds?

As far as I understand it, it breaks down like this:
    • Wild mammals
      • Protected wild mammals - e.g. deer
        • Exempted wild mammals - e.g. deer in season
      • Unprotected wild mammals

See Section 25 of the Wildlife Act 1976.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Other bit of info...If you want to shoot Clays...Tick the hunting box.It's considerd part and parcel of the hunting thing by The Man;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Other bit of info...If you want to shoot Clays...Tick the hunting box.It's considerd part and parcel of the hunting thing by The Man;)

Seriously?

I mean I know those nasty orange buggers are vermin but it seems a little more like target shooting.

The lack of a heartbeat or the ability to reproduce would seem to negate their qualifying as "living".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    If you want to shoot Clays...Tick the hunting box.It's considerd part and parcel of the hunting thing by The Man;)

What? How?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yeah, clay pigeon shooting seems to have zigged at the right time to dodge the crapfest the rifle and pistol shooters are now hip-deep in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Mr Flibble

I mean I know those nasty orange buggers are vermin

Not quite up to speed on the whole peace process thing are we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Mr Flibble

Sparks wrote: »
    Yeah, clay pigeon shooting seems to have zigged at the right time to dodge the crapfest the rifle and pistol shooters are now hip-deep in.

Not really. It's shotgun shoooting, which is part of the Irish sporting culture. Not an anathema (or however you spell it) like the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Theres more than 200,000 shotguns licensed and their owners (largely the IFA) would tear Dermo a new one if he tried to touch them.

You'd see some solidarity then - there'd be no skiving off to the corners by the single barrel guys, the double barrel guys, the repeater guys and the pump action guys - as one they would shake leinster house.

B'Man

Are we still talking about shotgun shooting Bananaman? Aren't the ICPSA still in court every other month or so dealing with the LCPSA/ICPSA split?

There are no privileged reference frames, as a physicist might tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

200,000 shotguns? Not unless they've started multiplying like cells.

Well. There'd be around 160,000 without any difficulty (that was the number reported a few years back). But 200,000 is definitely a stretch too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Did the Minister not state there was ~250,000 firearm licenses in the state?
    Were not ~200,000 of them shotguns?
    Were not 1800 of them Pistols?
    Were not the balance ~ 48,000 of them rifles.

B'Man

The Minister might have stated that B'man, but there's only 238,000 licences in the state, and there's some 70,000-odd rifles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

But thats insane. There is no way in hell any reasonable person ... oh wait. My mistake, I keep forgetting that the powers that be are about as reasonable as a five-year-old throwing a tantrum.

Honestly though ... "hunting"? Its no more hunting than I am Clark Kent.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Bananaman wrote: »
    Did the Minister not state there was ~250,000 firearm licenses in the state?
    Were not ~200,000 of them shotguns?
    Were not 1800 of them Pistols?
    Were not the balance ~ 48,000 of them rifles.

B'Man

Since when did we believe anything from the 'Ministry for Misinformation'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Exact figures were given in Dail questions and are posted here somewhere if someone is bothered to do a search.

The overall total of firearms licences is somewhere in the region of 230,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

Bananaman wrote: »
    Theres more than 200,000 shotguns licensed and their owners (largely the IFA) would tear Dermo a new one if he tried to touch them.

You'd see some solidarity then - there'd be no skiving off to the corners by the single barrel guys, the double barrel guys, the repeater guys and the pump action guys - as one they would shake leinster house.

B'Man

the minister, is he a clay buster like enda. explains it:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

PS what about birds?

For the ordinary pheasant/pigeon/duck shooter the short answer is tick no. Got that from the FO and in an e mail from Des Crofton to confirm as I was myself a bit confused. However got an e mail from someone else who said I have to apply for a licence to shoot pheasants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

But thats insane ... "hunting"? Its no more hunting than I am Clark Kent.

Just who exactly is saying clay pigeon shooting is hunting? And where are they saying it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

The Gardai themselves..Or so my local FO is telling me.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

PJ Hunter wrote: »
    the minister, is he a clay buster like enda. explains it:(

first time ive been called that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

For the ordinary pheasant/pigeon/duck shooter the short answer is tick no. Got that from the FO and in an e mail from Des Crofton to confirm as I was myself a bit confused. However got an e mail from someone else who said I have to apply for a licence to shoot pheasants
    Who do you trust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

AFAIK, the only licence issued from the NPWS is for deer hunting. As that is what you have to attach if you answer 'Yes' to the question, surely it's just for deer hunting?

Advertisement