Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starting the mandolin

Options
  • 06-08-2009 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

ok i love the sound of this instrument and would love to learn how to play it,

iv gotten some spare time on my hands now and want to start but im 27 and wondering am i too old to start??

also i dont play any instrument and worried it is going to be rock hard to play (with its 8 strings and all:rolleyes:)

and finally where the hell can i get lessons??

thanks in advance for any help you can give me...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

ok i love the sound of this instrument and would love to learn how to play it,

iv gotten some spare time on my hands now and want to start but im 27 and wondering am i too old to start??

Never to old to learn, no matter what anyone says! Might take you a bit longer to get going, but go for it!

also i dont play any instrument and worried it is going to be rock hard to play (with its 8 strings and all:rolleyes:)

Not rock hard at all really, the 8 strings are in double courses, which meas they are in pairs tuned to the same note and played together, so it's the equivalent of playing four strings really!

The only hard bit is building up your callouses when you start, mandolins can make bits of your fingertips when you're not used to them.
    and finally where the hell can i get lessons??

thanks in advance for any help you can give me...

Shouldn't be too hard to find a teacher. Ring around a few Comhaltas branches and see. Most tenor banjo teachers will also teach mandolin.
    http://comhaltas.ie/locations/

Think they also teach it in Aras Chronain in Clondalkin.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

thanks for that paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭BrianJD

I got one two years ago. Because I play basic guitar the chords are quiet easy but as the previous poster said, it is very tough on the fingers.

BrianJD wrote: »
    I got one two years ago. Because I play basic guitar the chords are quiet easy but as the previous poster said, it is very tough on the fingers.

thanks for that il get the plasters in:D

thanks for that il get the plasters in:D

i used to use a nail varnish brush and superglue to harden up my finger tips in the early days, worked a treat for me :) but careful not to touch anything till it dries!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭lolly22

Hey peter :)

It really does have a great sound eh, 27 is definitely not too old to start, id say the same thing to you if you were 57 ;)

Ok so you dont play any instruments but we all have to start somewhere, and what a great one to start on. It was my first string instrument which i got when i was 9 and still get it out the odd time now :)

I was thought in comhaltas in kinsealy i had a great teacher also thought guitar and banjo but not sure if they are all still teaching there these days, but if your in the dublin area i do know someoe else who is giving mandolin and banjo lessons if you havent found anyone yet pm me :)

Another great way to learn is to go along to sessions with your mandolin they are for beginers as well as advanced players and is a great way to learn tunes and get to know other musicians :D such fun

Anyway sorry this was so long :o but as other posters dont be worried bout the 8 strings just think of it as 4 and the more you play the quicker your fingers tips get use to the strings and they wont peel or hurt

Good luck with it :)

lolly that would be great il pm you now i still havnt found anyone:(

a mate of mine goes to a session every week and he is learning to play the guitar but i wouldnt be have to confidence to trun up and not the first thing about the instrument.

i cant wait to start playing............suppose i better get the mandolin too:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Comhaltas classes start back in about mid September in Monkstown, again use the comhaltas site to find a branch near you.

What do you want to play trad or accompanyment? Comhaltas aren't big into teaching chords, they teach you the tune note by note. If you can't read sheet music or pick it up by ear they use ABC notation which is easy enough to follow.

trad wrote: »
    Comhaltas classes start back in about mid September in Monkstown, again use the comhaltas site to find a branch near you.

What do you want to play trad or accompanyment? Comhaltas aren't big into teaching chords, they teach you the tune note by note. If you can't read sheet music or pick it up by ear they use ABC notation which is easy enough to follow.

iv tried there sight and couldnt find anyhitng on it about the mandolin. iv emailed them about half and hour ago.

not 100% sure what you mean by trad or accompanyment:confused:

lolly22 wrote: »

Another great way to learn is to go along to sessions with your mandolin they are for beginers as well as advanced players and is a great way to learn tunes and get to know other musicians :D such fun

Be careful here, not all sessions are beginner friendly!:) You'd be better off finding a session thats geared towards beginner's, like the Cobblestone in Smithfield on a monday night.
    a mate of mine goes to a session every week and he is learning to play the guitar but i wouldnt be have to confidence to trun up and not the first thing about the instrument.

I'd agree with you here to be honest, wait till you know a few tunes and a good bit of technique before you start sessioning.
    iv tried there sight and couldnt find anyhitng on it about the mandolin. iv emailed them about half and hour ago.

not 100% sure what you mean by trad or accompanyment:confused:

Comhaltas aren't great with the aul technology, you'd be best ringing them really!:)

What he means by trad or accompaniement, I think, is do you want to play tunes like this:

Or backing, similar to a guitar, with chords and no tune. Comhaltas will only teach you tunes really, which is best in my opinion. Even if you want to accomompany, you need to know the tunes!

Good luck again :D

• Advertisement

thanks for that. i want to play trad id assume if you can play tunes you would be able to accompany easy enough.

im going to wait a little while before i start going to session, as you said at least till i can play something:)

does anyone know if this mandolin is any use?

http://www.waltons.ie/Product/View.aspx?id=3382

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

not really sure if that yoke is any use but just wanted to say that me granda started learning mandolin at thirty five. he's now pushing eighty and one of the best trad musicians i've ever met so you're never too old to start. i play meself ( i'm not very good) but i find books are decent but if you can work from your ear you'll be a better player for it.

either way, batter at the thing till you find a teacher anyhow cos at least then you'll be comfortable with it in your hands when you go to lessons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 David Whelan Music

thanks for that mate, but this thread is an old one im paying 2 years now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 6degrees

hi, Peter - im preciesly where you were 2yrs ago, though older still. can you give me a steer on a few things with starting the mandolin. Where did you learn, did you go for that mandolinin waltons - any good? so hows it going 2 years down the line?
    thanks

Brian

6degrees wrote: »
    hi, Peter - im preciesly where you were 2yrs ago, though older still. can you give me a steer on a few things with starting the mandolin. Where did you learn, did you go for that mandolinin waltons - any good? so hows it going 2 years down the line?
    thanks

Brian

hi brian,

i went to aras cronoin in clondalking for my lessons, they have some great teachers up there and i picked it up quick enough. the mandolin i got would be a basic enough one, its an epiphone and iv never had any bother with it there is a lovely sound off it! 2 years down the line...well i have to say im loving the mandolin and have also picked up the banjo and started giving that a go, they are the same fingering just needs a little more of a stretch:). iv quiet a few tunes to my collection now.

im glad i picked it up now. hope this helps.

Darren

Advertisement