Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this good value For a starting point to IT

Options
  • 06-08-2009 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭

The course is Cisco IT essentials/comptia at CIT .
    2 evenings a week sept to Feb .
    Its 1200 euro . dont think exam fee is included
    I am fairly computer literate and take to repair jobs and diagnosing faults quite well. Iv changed ram , graphics cards, troubleshooted bios issues , cd/dvd drive problems .
    I like the idea of a classroom as it forces you to progress what you guys think

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Barrypr

Seems like good value to me, I payed 1750 for my classes, 2 nights per week 3.5 hours per class, had a very lazy instructor though he really was awful, God bless cbt nuggets and the Todd Lammle book, you should check those out. If I had choice again I would go down the cbt and book route, pick up some cheap hardware or else a sim, if the instructor is good it may be worth the money.

Does the course cover the entire CCNA course material, do they have a good success rate with students passing.

When you say /comptia is that A+ N+ server+ Security+, what will the course actually cover, is it just bits of evething!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

no its just comptia A+ so im starting to question its value.
    I wouldnt mind paying out for a course further on but i believe im capable of doing this one from a few books.
    Am i to understand that the exam has 2 parts a practical and a written element .this is what it says
    the IT Essentials 1 Programme is a curriculum sponsored by Hewlett Packard delivered through the Cisco Networking Academy Program. It maps to CompTIA’s A+ Certification. Aims IT Essentials 1 /COMPTIA A+ will prepare students for both Examinations which make up COMPTIA A+ Certification; -A+ Essentials -A+ 220 - 602

Students who successfully complete this programme will also receive Cisco IT Essentials 1 Certificate. On completion the student has the requisite knowledge to sit the COMPTIA A+ Pearson VUE Examinations which are necessary to achieve Certification.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Forget it. If you're paying that kind of money, you need to get a return on the investment. The A+ is not worth €1200.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I am fairly computer literate and take to repair jobs and diagnosing faults quite well. Iv changed ram , graphics cards, troubleshooted bios issues , cd/dvd drive problems .
    In that case, read the A+ book, and do the exam for €300

The course would seem to be for those whose use of a PC consisted of using MS Word.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

the_syco wrote: »
    In that case, read the A+ book, and do the exam for €300

The course would seem to be for those whose use of a PC consisted of using MS Word.

Oh one last thing iv been doing research and see that the new 2009 exam is out but there is no real books or anything out yet, am i better off holding until the new books come out and do the 2009 a+ exam, and it might suit me better i would be more familiar with newer hardware than old stuff??
    So buy the book , is the software stuff of any benefit , is there a practical exam ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yes, hold off for the new books, as the old (2005 exam) books are for the obsolete exams.

Advertisement