Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short period broadband contract

Options
  • 06-08-2009 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

I'm in cork city and I'm currently using meteor payg (no contract) mobile broadband. The speed is fine but the 5gb cap is very restricting.

I'd like to get 'proper' broadband but I'm not sure if I will be in my current house for the duration of a 12 month or even 6 month contract. I'd like to go with metro, smart or UPC, has anybody got any experience with how these companies deal with prematurely leaving a contract.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

daveyjoe wrote: »
    I'm in cork city and I'm currently using meteor payg mobile broadband. The speed is fine but the 5gb cap is very restricting, I'd like to get 'proper' broadband but I'm not sure if I will be in my current house for the duration of a 12 month or even 6 month contract. I'd like to go with metro, smart or UPC, has anybody got any experience with how these companies deal with prematurely leaving a contract.

I don't believe we're here to give advice on how to break contracts prematurely because you can't fulfil your obligations. Now if an ISP doesn't live up to their end of the bargain I'm all ears ...or eyes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

daveyjoe wrote: »
    I'm in cork city and I'm currently using meteor payg mobile broadband. The speed is fine but the 5gb cap is very restricting, I'd like to get 'proper' broadband but I'm not sure if I will be in my current house for the duration of a 12 month or even 6 month contract. I'd like to go with metro, smart or UPC, has anybody got any experience with how these companies deal with prematurely leaving a contract.

Its very simple - they expect you to pay the balance outstanding of the period you agree to when you sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

if you go the DSL route, I think BT still do a 6 month minimum contract

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

I've heard that some providers will allow you to move house and keep your existing contract without penalising you, does anybody have any experience with this?

Mods: Just changed the title, I don't why I had 'Meteor midband' in the title. Could this thread please be moved to broadband, as it doesn't relate to midband. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I changed the title and moved the thread, because it looked like you were talking about a Meteor contract, and not a contract that you don't have yet.

No one will tell you how to get out of a contract. What you want is broadband with a shorter term. If you terminate the contract early, you'll have to pay up the remainder. If you move, you can move your broadband as long as it's available at the new address.

• Advertisement

Dardania wrote: »
    if you go the DSL route, I think BT still do a 6 month minimum contract
    Could you provide a link? I can't find a 6 month contract on BT's site.

BT do 12 months : http://www.btireland.ie/AtHome_bb.shtml

Eircom does 12 months too

I'm thinking that I'll go with UPC's 10Mb student package. I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay the cash if I need to move out and cancel the contract before the 12 months are up.

Just wondering would it be possible to pass the contract onto a friend? I'm guessing the answer is no but thought that I'd ask anyway.

Perhaps "Unofficially". I don't think UPC would move it over to your friend, but your friend could pay it. You'd be the one to pay if they default though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I've transferred multiple contracts between addresses (both UPC and BT) and there was never any problem. I've also transferred between people and again no problem. I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem if you transferred the contract to your friends house in your name, and then wait a month and transfer it to his name. Generally they are pretty understanding about such things.

• Advertisement

Cool, that's a helpful post. Thanks!

Advertisement