Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would a budget SSD make a difference to the speed of a PC?

Options
  • 06-08-2009 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭

I was looking at the budget SSD's, the 2.5 inch ones on HWV, something like the OCZ 30 gb model..

Anyone tried these yet? Since I am a fan of a fast bootup time and general fast hdd access.. do they provide a significant performance increase in loading times etc.. are the 3.5 inch models much faster?

At around 100 euros they seem affordable

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

No way, the cheap SSDs are rubbish, you would only notice a big jump in performance if you put one in a fairly crap machine. Intel X25/OCZ Vertex are the ones you should be looking out for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Frederico

So if I could put something like this

OCZ SSD 30GB SATA II 2,5" HardDisk Vertex (125 euros)

As my main drive and get a 1tb normal drive

you think my system would be a lot faster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

by all accounts, yes :)

the jump in response time from a trad hdd to a ssd is huge; even the raptor pales in comparison.

boot time/app loading and such are indeed faster.

hold off for now tho; intel are releasing new ssds in the next short while which should drop the price of the current ones.

and ocz have a 1tb ssd coming for ~2000usd if yer interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Advertisement