Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planets in the sky

Options
  • 06-08-2009 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what Planet or planets were visible in the sky last night? Pretty sure I saw one to the left of the moon last night and just wondering which it was.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

"It will lie to right of the almost full Moon on the 6th of August" -Jupiter

I thought it was jupiter cause it was very bright but I also thought it could be venus, but this says it would be to the right of the moon where as I saw it on the left hand side of the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Venus orbits the sun inside of earths orbit, it is only visible close to the sun. Its maximum elongation is 28 degrees. Rising about 3am now I think, haven't managed to stay up late enough for a proper look yet

efla wrote: »
    Venus orbits the sun inside of earths orbit, it is only visible close to the sun

I just thought it might be because it was so bright. More than likely Jupiter.

A7X wrote: »
    I just thought it might be because it was so bright. More than likely Jupiter.

Yes, that was jupiter. It will be in the same position tonight

• Advertisement

It was a beatiful sight. The moon was completley bright and just jupiter to the left of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

That was indeed Jupiter.

I think Mars is visible low on the horizon at about 4AM or so...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Uranus (I think, I'd have to check on Stellarium) is out there too, but it's not nearly as bright as Jupiter.

I wish I had a telescope ha

Does anyone know how easy it is to get into the Space buisness? Like is it easy to move from any sort of engineering to it?

Anyone can take up astronomy as a hobby. I only have 10x50 binoculars and there's plenty to see with just them. They're a very cheap and simple starting point. For telescope's, you just read the sticky! :) Prices differ with what you want obviously.

jumpguy wrote: »
    Anyone can take up astronomy as a hobby. I only have 10x50 binoculars and there's plenty to see with just them. They're a very cheap and simple starting point. For telescope's, you just read the sticky! :) Prices differ with what you want obviously.

I'm not talking about working as an astronomer, I'm talking about engineering things for space and working on space missions like with the european space agency.

• Advertisement

Ohh I'm sorry!

Not too sure about that, as Ireland isn't a member of ESA (as far as I know) I'm not sure if they look for candidates here. However, there are degrees people can get in 3rd level such as astrophysics. I'd assume these kind of degrees would be helpful in search of an engineering job. Many people are probably experienced advanced materials engineers (like aircraft). I'd imagine though, it's a matter of your CV and backround in engineering. It's an expanding sector though and could be set for a boom with the dawn of space tourism.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure I'd be some what way qualified for that sector. It's something I'd be really interested in alright. Must research it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Terry Cotta

Ye Ireland is a member state of ESA. I applied there before.

Check this out

Its a recruitment agency for jobs in the space industry. They give a list of their clients so you can just bypass the recruitment agency and apply direct to the companies. I have looked at those and other companies and you really need to have plenty of experience in the space industry.

I dont know how qualified you are but a good way to get into the industry is through graduate programmes.

Ye Ireland is a member state of ESA. I applied there before.

Check this out

Its a recruitment agency for jobs in the space industry. They give a list of their clients so you can just bypass the recruitment agency and apply direct to the companies. I have looked at those and other companies and you really need to have plenty of experience in the space industry.

I dont know how qualified you are but a good way to get into the industry is through graduate programmes.

So they wouldn't take on graduates just out of say an Electronics engineering course?

So they wouldn't take on graduates just out of say an Electronics engineering course?
    I wouldn't see why they wouldn't tbh. Electronics play a huge role in spacecraft.

I wouldn't see why they wouldn't tbh. Electronics play a huge role in spacecraft.

It's all very confusing on the ESA website lol They seem to do some sort of year long post graduate course to give people some experience in the buisness.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Terry Cotta

Thats just what I'm after graduating from :) I sent CV's out but they probably wouldn't take any notice since I just have a Bachelors degree and no experience. In searching for jobs I've noticed that a Masters is becoming the minimum requirement. Over in Europe I think a lot of courses are now 5 years - 4 years degree and 1 year Masters

Thats just what I'm after graduating from :) I sent CV's out but they probably wouldn't take any notice since I just have a Bachelors degree and no experience. In searching for jobs I've noticed that a Masters is becoming the minimum requirement. Over in Europe I think a lot of courses are now 5 years - 4 years degree and 1 year Masters

Yeah I noticed that. There's also alot of mentions of doctorates but I'm pretty sure that would be for higher up.

I'd love to have something to do with Space exploration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Download a program call Stellarium, A7X, to see which planets and stars are in the sky at any one time. It's an excellent program.

That ESA graduate thing is only for those with a PhD as far as Im aware? I've been through a degree in Computer SCience and Industrial Biology so far, and now Im starting my PhD in Physics and Chemistry (mostly IR Spec. and NMR). Once this is done, I'll be knocking on ESA's door!

Kevster wrote: »
    Im starting my PhD in Physics and Chemistry

Godspeed on the lonely road

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

Hi All,
    Was out looking at the sky for the last few nights and noticed that Jupiter changed position last night-it was on the right hand side of the moon and all the other nights it was on the left. I know there is probably a really simple explanation for this-like orbiting planets-but could someone please enlighten me?
    Only saw a couple of meteorites last night, both spectacular-the second one was like nothing I've ever seen before-it was like a ball of fire with a flaming tail which lasted for a second or two only-saw it at about 11.30 in the western part of the sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

fifilarue wrote: »
    Only saw a couple of meteorites last night, both spectacular-the second one was like nothing I've ever seen before-it was like a ball of fire with a flaming tail which lasted for a second or two only-saw it at about 11.30 in the western part of the sky.

You lucky thing :) Would love to see that

Hi All,
    Was out looking at the sky for the last few nights and noticed that Jupiter changed position last night-it was on the right hand side of the moon and all the other nights it was on the left. I know there is probably a really simple explanation for this-like orbiting planets-but could someone please enlighten me?
    It's because the Moon and Jupiter "move" at different speeds. The Moon revolves around the Earth whereas we see Jupiter due to the Earth's revolution. Both are moving at different "speeds". Hence the change in position. If I'm wrong someone tell me!
    I must look out for meteorites tonight, people are seeing loads of them!

It's because the Moon and Jupiter "move" at different speeds. The Moon revolves around the Earth whereas we see Jupiter due to the Earth's revolution. Both are moving at different "speeds". Hence the change in position. If I'm wrong someone tell me!
    I must look out for meteorites tonight, people are seeing loads of them!
    thanks jumpguy-good luck with the meteorites tonight-might take a break myself as i have a sore neck from looking upwards and a hangover from drinking wine to stay warm...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Had a look at Jupiter with a telescope for the first time ever this week. Managed to see the two moons to its right also. Tiny Tiny specks but cool all the same.

Now if only I could make sense of all these feckin lenses I have :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Hi All,

As Jumpguy says, it is the way the moon is moving, being nearer to us. It will be further left of Jupiter tonight. Remember that the moon goes around us in a month, whereas Jupiter takes nearly 12 years to go around the sun. If you get a long clear night and watch where the moon is in relation to another object, and then go and look again a few hours later, you will notice that the moon has moved in relation to that object.

It would be hard to notice this with a planet on a single night. Over the course of a few months you would notice this. Jupiter will be visible in the night skies right through the winter so if you monitor its progress over the next few months, you will notice its movement in relation to stars that are near it. From year to year you will notice a bigger change. As Jupiter takes just under 12 years to orbit the sun, from our perspective it appears to be in a different one of the 12 zodiacal constellations each year.

Thanks for that Flukey-really interesting. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Took this photo of jupiter and moons last night just after midnight
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/eolhc/3798898529/sizes/l/in/photostream/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

That's a crisp [clear] image dude - nice one. Jupiter is so easy to spot because it's always the brighest thing in the sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Had a great view of Jupiter last night.

I was able to make out all the moons, and the cloud bands. It was so clear the planet had some colour in the cloud bands.

A great view.

Hauk :)

Advertisement