Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reporting spam

Options
  • 06-08-2009 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

i know this is prob not the correct place to post this but couldnt find where ... sorry :confused:

i unsubscribed to tesco.ie 2.5 months ago and am still getting mails with offers
    i have reported to customer care numerous times but they havent done anything and im getting annoyed with it now.

who can i report this to or is there a body set up for this?

Thanks in advance
    John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

kudzRS wrote: »
    i know this is prob not the correct place to post this but couldnt find where ... sorry :confused:

i unsubscribed to tesco.ie 2.5 months ago and am still getting mails with offers
    i have reported to customer care numerous times but they havent done anything and im getting annoyed with it now.

who can i report this to or is there a body set up for this?

Thanks in advance
    John

You can block emails that you don't want in your inbox.

spam1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kudzRS

thanks for the reply, i know this can be done but i dont feel that is enough.. everytime i have contacted them they have told me "thats done now" and that will be done within "7 days" but they never do..

i have sent god knows how many emails at this stage and i feel like i am hitting a brick wall... thats why i want to take this route... if its happening to me then how many others are experiencing the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Electronic Mail

Electronic mail (i.e. a text message, voice message, sound message, image message, multimedia message or email message) for the purpose of direct marketing cannot be sent to you without your prior consent unless it is from someone with whom you have a current customer relationship. The Data Protection Commissioner considers that, in order to comply with the provision of the Data Protection Acts concerning the retention of data for no longer than is necessary, and in line with best practice, a ‘current customer relationship’ exists only where a business and a customer have engaged in a business transaction within the previous twelve months. The rules for direct marketing using electronic mail are simple:

Marketers may send you electronic mail for direct marketing purposes where:

(i)

You have given them explicit consent to do so within the last twelve months, or

(ii)

they have obtained your personal contact details in the course of a sale to you of a product or service within the last twelve months, they informed you of their identity, the purpose in collecting your contact details, the persons or categories of persons to whom your personal data may be disclosed and any other information which is necessary so that processing may be fair, and
    * the direct marketing they are sending is in respect of their similar* products and services only, and
    * you were given a simple cost-free means of refusing the use of your contact details for direct marketing purposes at the time your details were initially collected, and where you did not initially refuse the use of those details, you are given a similar option at the time of each subsequent communication. (If you fail to unsubscribe using the cost-free means provided to you by the direct marketer, you will be deemed to have remained opted-in to the receipt of such electronic mail for a twelve month period from the date of issue to you of the most recent marketing electronic mail).

Marketers may not send you any electronic mail for direct marketing purposes in the following circumstances:

* if you have not given your prior consent to receiving such mail within the last twelve months in accordance with the options set out above,
    * if the identity of the sender has been disguised or concealed or a valid address to which you can send an opt-out request has not been provided, and additionally, where the electronic mail is an email communication, a valid address at which the sender may be contacted has not been provided.
    * if you have joined a club to which you pay a subscription for text, multimedia or email message services, unless the direct marketing is directly related to a similar* product or service to the subscription club of which you are a member,

If you are receiving electronic marketing messages contrary to these rules, you may complain to the Data Protection Commissioner.

http://dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/guidance/unwanted_marketing_consumer_guide.htm&CatID=18&m=r#5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kudzRS

thanks for the reply, didn know it was the data protection comissioner that deals with that :confused:

complaint logged :D now so hopefully all will stop

thanks for all your help
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Bewleys Hotel and Crowne Plaza also send emails after you tell them not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

kudzRS wrote: »
    thanks for the reply, didn know it was the data protection comissioner that deals with that :confused:

complaint logged :D now so hopefully all will stop

thanks for all your help
    John

I suppose it might make sense since they're abusing your data..who knows though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

this is where mail rules can come in very useful. :)

see how many email addresses you can find online with an @tesco.ie address (managers, store addresses, customer services, complaints etc. just keep looking till you can't find any more) and set up an automatic mail rule to forward every single one of them back to every tesco address you can find and put a note in the top to say you have asked for this to be removed several times and you will continue to forward each and every mail sent to you on to them until it stops. :D

fight fire with fire. :)

Advertisement