Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Three novice travelling questions

• 06-08-2009 5:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

I've 3 questions that I'm lazily going to put up here before I go research them. Any help is appreciated.

1. How much DEET is needed for 2 months use for 2 people? Should I buy it in Ireland or abroad? Are there alternatives if it causes skin irritation etc?

2. What kind of sleeping mats (for a tent) are most suitable for travelling (from a storage/transport point of view as well as from a comfort point of view)?

3. What's the process for getting a Visa for India? And how long does it take?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭macca1983

cfitz wrote: »
    I've 3 questions that I'm lazily going to put up here before I go research them. Any help is appreciated.

1. How much DEET is needed for 2 months use for 2 people? Should I buy it in Ireland or abroad? Are there alternatives if it causes skin irritation etc?

2. What kind of sleeping mats (for a tent) are most suitable for travelling (from a storage/transport point of view as well as from a comfort point of view)?

3. What's the process for getting a Visa for India? And how long does it take?

Thanks!

1. Go down to the pharmacy ask the nice lady behind the counter. I bought mine here and when i was away i bought another bottle too. Just bring a regular sized bottle and when abroad you can buy another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭raemie21

You have to have a visa organised in advance. Can do by post or going to the Embassy off Leeson St.
    Multi entry lasts for six months as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

raemie21 wrote: »
    You have to have a visa organised in advance. Can do by post or going to the Embassy off Leeson St.
    Multi entry lasts for six months as far as I can remember.

If you go to the Embassy is it just a case of queueing, filling out a form, and taking home your Visa? Or would you need to go more than once? (I'm not from Dublin see!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭raemie21

Yeah you can get it done in a day but check the website to be sure it's still ok!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

As regards the deet get at least 50% strong. If you have a history of the little ****ers liking you, apply it all the time. They can ruin a holiday. I found the wipes to be very handy. Better than spray or cream. I wouldn't take a chance on getting what you want out there. Stock up!

ps I hate the little ****ers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I found lotion to be much, much better than spray. Get the 50% stuff.

Are you really planning on camping? I don't even know if that's possible in most places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

cfitz wrote: »
    If you go to the Embassy is it just a case of queueing, filling out a form, and taking home your Visa? Or would you need to go more than once? (I'm not from Dublin see!)
    You can get it done in one day but it costs twice as much iirc. I had to leave mine in and come back to collect it a week later. Maybe call them/check the website to see if can post the passport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

cfitz ( do worry about asking questions... always ask, it shouldn't be a problem for anyone).

1. like medication, stock up before you travel. Buy any product which guarabtees DEET. (or nowadays they may just be saying that).

2. it sounds like you are travelling for a while (India and China). There are Foam mats (6' x 3' ?) that you will lose on the way, but can replace. You can get more comfortable 'foam mats' a little longer, a little broader in Ireland. But are you going to lose them on the way?
    I would go for the foam mat thicker, longer, broader just for the comfort camping and train travel if you can use it early in the trip. (without having to carry it a long time before you start to use it).

3. Normally give it two weekis including phonecalls asking why there is a delay. get it before you travel, one less worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm hoping to get the Visa sorted out before the end of next week so that should be ok. I got a 10mm deep foam mat yesterday, so that's another thing sorted for me. (Also, regarding the camping questions that people asked - I'm usually ok to mind these things and the camping question was more to do with Africa than India.)

Thanks again.

Advertisement