Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tara Brady/TodayFM/Last Word.

• 06-08-2009 6:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭

I'm listening to The Last Word with Matt Cooper on TodayFM right now, and they're doing their regular, Thursday-evening-shortly-before-7o'clock Movie Slot.

They always have the same two guests on, Tara Brady and Declan Bourke.

Am I the only person who's annoyed titless by yerwan Tara? She just can't speak! I've never heard anyone on radio who has so many verbal tics. She constantly says em, ah, ah, em, and repeats repeats repeats repeats the same word over and over again as she tries to figure out what she wants to say next.

Matt, get her off. Why not try to get Michael Dwyer from the IT or someone like that? Or if you want gender balance, surely there must be another female movie journalist somewhere out there who can actually speak.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

yep shes brutal. even mario rosenstock took the piss out of her in a sketch with all the um ahs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Totally agree. Once counted the number of times she said "sort of" in the one sitting and it came to 11.

I even texted in about it. Alas, they didn't read it out.

It sounds like she's distracted by someone who keeps pushing her in the back while she's trying to speak.

Then your man wasn't in one week, so who did they get in to stand in for him? Tara's husband. eek..

Nothing wrong with him, but the whole thing of hearing how they each are when they're watching a film together was like having your newly wed sister in law and her husband over for dinner and absolutely ruining the evening because you and your partner had a fight just before they arrived in the door, but there they are, in your face, with PDA's every few seconds. Appetitie gone..

Do like The Last Word though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

kraggy wrote: »
    Do like The Last Word though.

IMO - Matt Cooper is better than Mary or George. If Rachel English was back on this slot on RTE radio 1, I would imagine that it would be a better show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I can't stand when Declan Bourke says book (he rhymes it with "puke"). I love the show, listen to it most days in work (or on the way home), but I still laugh when Matt talks about going to the "thee-ate-her" on a "Sat-her-day".

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mulphisto

eh.. eh.. eh.. eh.. She is so annoying. eh .. eh..
    I have to turn off for this bit of the show.
    Well this bit and the Marian McKeon bit from America. Thankfully I think she's finished now.
    Otherwise love the show.
    Do they still have the re run on Saaaherday? :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

Used to listen to Hook, much prefer Matt Cooper now. I wonder when he's going to shake off that cold though.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭windowcleaner

The other FAIL on the last word is stuart clarke doing the music news. Guy doesn't have a breeze, really doesn't. When it comes to music business and tech stories, he's just totally on the side of the labels and IRMA and IMRO. Very unbalanced stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭cazze

God she is brutal ! !:eek:
    very annoying ! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

I'm listening to The Last Word with Matt Cooper on TodayFM right now, and they're doing their regular, Thursday-evening-shortly-before-7o'clock Movie Slot.

They always have the same two guests on, Tara Brady and Declan Bourke.

Am I the only person who's annoyed titless by yerwan Tara? She just can't speak! I've never heard anyone on radio who has so many verbal tics. She constantly says em, ah, ah, em, and repeats repeats repeats repeats the same word over and over again as she tries to figure out what she wants to say next.

Matt, get her off. Why not try to get Michael Dwyer from the IT or someone like that? Or if you want gender balance, surely there must be another female movie journalist somewhere out there who can actually speak.

yep she is brutal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

She may possibly know her stuff, but to be honest, I can't tell, as the lady is downright impossible to listen to.

I was hanging on in the car to hear the Last Word cover Inglorious basterds the other day, but after half a dozen eh...eh...eh...eh...eh's and concious repetition of words from Ms Brady in the first minute of the section, I had to switch off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

Yeah I heard that BV.

It was pretty dire. Cooper (I think) was getting a bit pissed off with her. It was like she was distracted.

Is she hot? If so, I'll let this one go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I heard her attempts to talk about Inglorious Basterds alright. Jesus the woman couldn't string a sentence together that time. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Both her and Stuart Clarke are Goddamn awful. Best thing for both them & us is for 'em to be locked in a cage and plunged into an icy cold lake.
    All I need is some lengths of stout bamboo and rope, the promise of airtime would surely lure these [FONT=&quot]vacuous people into their own obvious deathtrap.
    I'd threathen Cooper with the possibility of joiing 'em too when I'm at it!!
    [/FONT]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Firetrap wrote: »
    I heard her attempts to talk about Inglorious Basterds alright. Jesus the woman couldn't string a sentence together that time. :mad:
    I hadnt noticed her CONSTANT ehhhhhhhhhhhhh uuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmm eeerrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmm's untill I saw this thread, then I heard the same slot featuring the Inglorious bastards review. My god, she didnt say anything at all, there was actually a 5 second ehhhhhhhh at one stage :eek:

VERY annoying and pointless radio.

Gift grub took the mick out of her and Stuart Clark again yesterday on the Radio Roy sketch.
    However when Matt Cooper played the clip later that day the Tara Brady bit was edited out!
    Anyone else notice this?

No but they still have the original on the website as a podcast :D I suppose they felt on the Last Word that they couldn't take the p!ss out of her umm aaahhhhing (the Stuart Clark thing wasn't as cutting I thought)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

and here's the ehh ehh edited version at the end of this clip
    http://www.radioireland.ie/lastword/892009-16.wmv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭squonk

The Stuart Clarke bit was brilliant though, really funny if you're a muso! I haven't heard her but will hopefuly tonight. She sounds like a headwrecker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

mulphisto wrote: »
    Gift grub took the mick out of her and Stuart Clark again yesterday on the Radio Roy sketch.
    However when Matt Cooper played the clip later that day the Tara Brady bit was edited out!
    Anyone else notice this?

Well spotted. Thought it was odd. Mario included Stuart on yesterday mornings gift grub "phone in" he said "i just called to complain about yesterdays gift grub. it sounded nothing like me!" To me, it sounded like an in-joke and maybe Tara called to complain?! that's why it was edited out later in the day?! strange one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

The famed Tara pictured at a recent event

_W9U6865.jpg

I didn't think she wore glasses......
    sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭earwicker

^ Ha!

I cannot stand this woman either. She may be able to write about movies (although I say that without having ever read her stuff), but she is awful on the radio. I have to switch off.

And, is Matt now leaving his mic open during interviews? I'm positive I can hear him mouth-breathing.

I do get a kick out of Stuart Clark, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alanjreid

She's absolutely brutal. Its RADIO...... you can't have people on radio that can't speak. People visiting from other countries must think she is filling in for someone on holidays. Seriously how can such stuttering be allowed on the RADIO, a purely 100% audio experience.
    If you take out the ums and awes what does she actually contribute? About 40 seconds worth of words I'd say. It is by far the most irritating thing on radio. Get shot of her - there must be better that our little country has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

they really need to get rid of her, I cannot listen to her she really grinds my gears!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

Listened painfully to her yesterday.

Get her to do an album review of 'The The' and she'd sail through it!

I can't wait til something called Am Am comes along either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Good news.

Next week The last word will be reviewing "AM AM AM" , an affirming documentary concerning how A disparate group of celebrities cope with their fluctuating self confidence levels once the first flush of fame has departed. Featuring : Yo Yo Ma, Boutros Boutros Ghali, Clifton Gonzalez Gonzalez , La La from the Tellytubbies and 80's new jack swing soul band Toni Tony Toné.

Music By The The and Duran Duran. "

"FASCINATING" - Mark Kermode, BBC Radio.
    "*****" - Michael Dwyer, Irish Times
    "AM AM AM - BRILLIANT BRILLIANT BRILLIANT. AM. AM. AM. AM. AM.." -Tara Brady, TLW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

how is she still working there , shes has just spoken aggh ughhh agghh ammmmm ammm uuuuuhhh for ten minutes aghhh, matt must be given her one :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭FredBloggs

earwicker wrote: »

And, is Matt now leaving his mic open during interviews? I'm positive I can hear him mouth-breathing.
    duckysauce wrote: »
    matt must be given her one :D

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 donovanu

I realise I may have missed the boat on this one but I'm assuming this Tara Brady is the same lady who does on the ball movie reviews etc. for the ticket - so give her a break. Clearly she has some kind of rational thought process - maybe she just can't verbalise it - maybe she was offered big bucks to go on Matt Cooper - anyways leave the poor girl alone!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/theticket/2011/0318/1224292444005.html

Advertisement