Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ambassador

• 06-08-2009 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

So now the bodies exhibition is gone, when will the Ambassadoor be open for gigs again? Or is it already open?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

i thinks it turning into a library... seriously!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Its closing down isnt it? Or has that decision been overturned?

EDIT - what waltersobchak said!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I heard it was replacing the abbey street library, and then that it would only replace it for two years. That's all i know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

Where are you guys hearing this from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

The only good thing about the Ambassador is its size, sound there is horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

2 best gigs I ever saw were in the Ambassador: Killswitch Engage and the Vandals (even though I'm not a huge fan).

I heard they were trying to turn it into a library too. And David Norris is trying to get his hands on it. He'll probably want to run non stop episodes of Fraiser back to back.

Shane_C wrote: »

David Norris is trying to get his hands on it. He'll probably want to run non stop episodes of Fraiser back to back.

I'm presuming I'm not the only person who'd consider that better........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Actually, now that Bodies is over, it is showing 'CSI: The Experience'.

Exciting, I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

QOTSA90 wrote: »
    Where are you guys hearing this from?

I remember posting about it maybe a year and a half ago - if not longer, this was the moving of Dublin City Library to the Ambassador building......mind you there was supposed to be a 3-5,000 venue built by now - again no sign of it........
    dont know if theres been a reprieve or not but I havent heard a closing date yet........it would appear that the Academy up and running somewhat takes over from the Ambassador........obviously not the same capacity - but it's something....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

NIBBS wrote: »
    I remember posting about it maybe a year and a half ago - if not longer, this was the moving of Dublin City Library to the Ambassador building......mind you there was supposed to be a 3-5,000 venue built by now - again no sign of it........
    dont know if theres been a reprieve or not but I havent heard a closing date yet........it would appear that the Academy up and running somewhat takes over from the Ambassador........obviously not the same capacity - but it's something....

yeah im surprised there isn't a venue of 3000+ cause theres definately the demand for one, as certain bands are too big for the academy,button factory etc but too small for o2, and it defantely stops touring bands coming here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I love that place.qoftsa and eagles of death metal...amazing gigs!

The only plus I can think of that the academy holds, is the fact that its so small, you can really get up close and personal with the bands :P sound isnt too bad either :)

Isnt the tripod just for dj's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Oh, I love the Ambassador so so much. Saw KoRn and Flyleaf there and it rocked. Great gig; the lighting, sound, crowd interaction all amazing. One of my favourite shows. Saw Down there too and Thin Lizzy. It's such a pleasure to be in a small venue like that with your idols. I hope it re opens.

Glassjaw played there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

Fad wrote: »
    I'm presuming I'm not the only person who'd consider that better........

I like Fraiser and I like David Norris but I REALLY liked the old ambassador

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭IanMc666

The Ilac Library is getting moved over there..shame, it was a nice venue. Saw some great bands there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Fad wrote: »
    Glassjaw played there too.

Did you go to that? there must of been all of 300 people at it :eek:
    I was shocked, was a great gig none the less.

Ambassador was great cuz of its size and it was pretty comforable too.

C.S.I.

..the fuxk? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

poisonated wrote: »
    I love that place.qoftsa and eagles of death metal...amazing gigs!

While QOTSA were great, the sound was abyssmal in the Ambassador. Only in the Ambassador could the bass be so inaudible that when Nick Oliveri did his solo in "No One Knows", no one hears.

Granted, there were times when bands got a good sound out of the Ambassador, Bauhaus and Sigur Rós come to mind, but it was a rare treat for that to happen.
    QOTSA90 wrote: »
    Isnt the tripod just for dj's?

Only if non-DJs don't book it. A venue's a venue and Tripod have put on plenty of non-DJ gigs over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

A petition has been set up.....

http://www.petitiononline.com/statd/petition.html

Class, signed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Oh, I love the Ambassador so so much. Saw KoRn and Flyleaf there and it rocked. Great gig; the lighting, sound, crowd interaction all amazing. One of my favourite shows. Saw Down there too and Thin Lizzy. It's such a pleasure to be in a small venue like that with your idols. I hope it re opens.

That really was some gig wasn't it? :) My first, and so far still my best. Went to see Enter Shikari there last October as well which was insane, and the Hoosiers - and I've actually played there as well as part of Oxjam last Autumn which was amazing, so I'd hate to see it close when I've so many good memories of the place! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

****in' KIP. Hate the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Was wondering what was going on with the ambassador. I figured they were turning it into an exhibition venue now what with bodies and now CSI but never heard about the library thing. Havn't been to the academy yet so not sure how it compares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

****in' KIP. Hate the place.
    post reported!* How could you hate it?!

*not really :p

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Was wondering what was going on with the ambassador. I figured they were turning it into an exhibition venue now what with bodies and now CSI but never heard about the library thing. Havn't been to the academy yet so not sure how it compares.

Might not get a chance to if they turn it into a Library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Isnt that CSI Experience thing on there now?

Yup, but in the long run its supposed to become a library.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Bizarre, it doesn't seem suitable for a library at all.

Ambassador was great. True, the sound was poor, but it had the right size, a great location, and it made a very good mosh pit.

Advertisement