Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Flannans Ranked No. 3 feeder school in Ireland

• 06-08-2009 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Thought this was interesting....
    St Flannans Ranked No. 3 feeder school in Ireland, and is the highest ranked non fee paying school in the country...

THE HIGH School in Rathgar, Co Dublin, is the top school in the State, according to one of the most comprehensive league tables published to date.
    The table – compiled by a research team at the University of Ulster and the Kemmy Business School at the University of Limerick – is the first to take socio-economic background into account when assessing schools.
    Until now, league tables – including The Irish Times feeder school list – have been compiled solely on the basis of the progression rates to third level. The social background of the school is not taken into account. The Irish Times list is dominated by fee-paying schools.
    In the new list, researchers took The Irish Times feeder list and re-evaluated the performance of schools based on the social background of the school. Schools were given additional credits if there was high local unemployment, low levels of computer ownership, a high immigrant population and low levels of participation in third level. The size of a school was taken into account.
    Prof Vani K Borooah, of the University of Ulster, who led the research, said: “We asked the question: if private schools were affected by the same circumstances as State schools, how would they be performing in terms of college progression?”
    The new list features many of the schools which also feature prominently in The Irish Times list. Ten of the top 25 are fee-paying schools, and just one Gaelscoil – Coláiste Eoin in Stillorgan – makes the list.
    But the list also features three schools from outside Dublin which have not featured prominently in The Irish Times list. They are St Flannan’s in Ennis, Gorey Community School (the largest school in the State) and Castletroy College, Limerick.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0806/1224252080487.html?via=mr

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Do we get some kind of reward, no? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Teadrinker

"Schools were given additional credits if there was high local unemployment, low levels of computer ownership, a high immigrant population and low levels of participation in third level. The size of a school was taken into account.
    Prof Vani K Borooah, of the University of Ulster, who led the research, said: “We asked the question: if private schools were affected by the same circumstances as State schools, how would they be performing in terms of college progression?”

What the hell does the above quote mean? No disrespect to St. Flannan's, a school I would champion at every turn, but this survey sounds quite mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

Maybe I'm biased, but I always thought the CBS was a better school from an academic point of view...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Kradock

Must say the education I received in the Tech has stood me well.;)

Advertisement