If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Package Needed : AV Receiver + Speakers

• 06-08-2009 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi All,
    Have only just decided to get myself a dedicated sound system for the house as opposed to the basic - player/Xbox, speaker and tv arrangement.

I have looked and tried to read up but there is only so much I can make sense of.

Since its my first purchase I am looking for a mid range system. I have my hopes on a combination of an Onkyo receiver and a decent 5.1 speaker system and hoping you could suggest something

Anything to the tune of 700 - 800 would be enough to cover something decent I hope.

Thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

dsine wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Have only just decided to get myself a dedicated sound system for the house as opposed to the basic - player/Xbox, speaker and tv arrangement.

I have looked and tried to read up but there is only so much I can make sense of.

Since its my first purchase I am looking for a mid range system. I have my hopes on a combination of an Onkyo receiver and a decent 5.1 speaker system and hoping you could suggest something

Anything to the tune of 700 - 800 would be enough to cover something decent I hope.

Thanks

Dsine,

Thanks for the post, welcome to boards and we are honoured to be your 1st post - apologies for the delay in getting back to you - I was on an ill deserved break for the last few days.

Yes €700-800 will now get you a cracking system.

The 2 most obvious choices are the Onkyo 607 and the Denon AVR1910

We can do the Onkyo TXSR607 AV Receiver with the excellent Tannoy SFX 5.1 pack at just £599.95 / €699.99 or for an additional £19.95 you can add the stunning Denon AVR1910.

Or we can do the Onkyo 607 with the Kef KHT 1005.2 in black at £789.95 /€899.99 (again you can add the Denon 1909 for an additional £19.95)

Or finally you could go for the 607 with the Monitor Audio Vector V10/Vector V20/ Vector VW8 5.1 system at just £759.95 / €899.99

All of these are serious systems and if you need any further details please do just drop me a line and I'll do my best to answer any queries,

Thanks again and please keep me posted!

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dsine

Thanks John,
    I would like to go with the first option with the Denon. I believe I will also need to invest in the initial cabling. Not sure whether you can help out in this area too. Am giving the details so that you can arrive at an estimate of the length of wiring that i might need. Kindly ignore if it does not apply.

The living room area that the entertainment systems will occupy is a 12 feet by 12 feet square with one wall centre being the tv/ps3 etc. front speakers equidistant on each sides of the source and the rears on the other side. The satellites will be about 4-6 feet high and the cables to the rear will need to run from one side.

I will probably also also need 4 speaker stands (black, the mrs says) adjustable heights with cable running through the tube hopefully.

I realize that this is perhaps a tall list of requirements, but since this is the first purchase of this kind, I do not wish to end up not being able to setup the system on the day it arrives cos am missing something :eek:

Do feel free to suggest any additional essentials that I have most definitely would have clear forgotten.

Thanks a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

john, I am also looking for exact same thing as the original poster however my budget is more.

On all the systems you've posted whats the major difference and why say is one 900 and another 700 euro.

Is a separate system like this better than all in one system ?

Im so confused about all this stuff, have to read up about it.

Thanks John,
    I would like to go with the first option with the Denon. I believe I will also need to invest in the initial cabling. Not sure whether you can help out in this area too. Am giving the details so that you can arrive at an estimate of the length of wiring that i might need. Kindly ignore if it does not apply.

The living room area that the entertainment systems will occupy is a 12 feet by 12 feet square with one wall centre being the tv/ps3 etc. front speakers equidistant on each sides of the source and the rears on the other side. The satellites will be about 4-6 feet high and the cables to the rear will need to run from one side.

I will probably also also need 4 speaker stands (black, the mrs says) adjustable heights with cable running through the tube hopefully.

I realize that this is perhaps a tall list of requirements, but since this is the first purchase of this kind, I do not wish to end up not being able to setup the system on the day it arrives cos am missing something :eek:

Do feel free to suggest any additional essentials that I have most definitely would have clear forgotten.

Thanks a lot.

Dsine,

No - Thank you! Much appreciated and apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

OK - here goes:

The Original System - Denon AVR1910 + Tannoy SFX 5.1 system @ £619.90

Add the following to complete the system:

2 Pairs of Tannoy SFX Stands

1 Panasonic 3 Mtr HDMI Cable

30 Meters of Gale Symphony 100 100 strand braided cable (may a few mtrs too much??)

Total system price is £749 (Blame the Mrs - those SFX stands are expensive!)

Keep me posted!

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

elvis2002 wrote: »
    john, I am also looking for exact same thing as the original poster however my budget is more.

On all the systems you've posted whats the major difference and why say is one 900 and another 700 euro.

Is a separate system like this better than all in one system ?

Im so confused about all this stuff, have to read up about it.

Hiya Elvis and thanks for the post,

First off - I'm sure no one will disagree that even a basic separates system is virtually always better than the vast majority of 'all-in-one' jobbies!!!!

The main differences between the systems as posted above is really the difference between the two hottest AV receivers around at the moment - the Denon AVR1910 and the Onkyo TXSR607 - Denon & Onkyo have been battling it out now for the last 2 or 3 years in the AV receiver market and I think that Denon may just be nudging it this season with the new 1910 - however both receivers are just excellent and we really cannot knock either to be honest!

The other major difference is the speaker packs of course and here I will lay my cards on the table - I'm a Monitor Audio fan - The Vector system is a new system from Monitor and it's slightly larger that most of the mid-range sub sat systems and subsequently it does sound better - however if you do have a slightly bigger budget you could go the whole hog and get a Monitor Audio Radius HD 5.1 pack with the Denon AVR1910 for £949.95 - this consists of 2 Pairs of Radius 45HD Satellites, a Radius 180HD dedicated centre, a Radius 360HD Subwoofer and all the wall brackets required (the speakers alone would normally retail at over £800 in the UK!) http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/radius-hd

Sorry for being so long winded and just drop me a line if I can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc

• Advertisement

Hi John,
    Just so that I can see if its possible for me to stretch things a bit.
    Can you please price the denon with the vectors with the necessary stands, cable and the necessary plugs. If the difference is within 150-200 I might just spring for one.

Thanks.
    johnmc wrote: »
    Dsine,

No - Thank you! Much appreciated and apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

OK - here goes:

The Original System - Denon AVR1910 + Tannoy SFX 5.1 system @ £619.90

Add the following to complete the system:

2 Pairs of Tannoy SFX Stands

1 Panasonic 3 Mtr HDMI Cable

30 Meters of Gale Symphony 100 100 strand braided cable (may a few mtrs too much??)

Total system price is £749 (Blame the Mrs - those SFX stands are expensive!)

Keep me posted!

ATB,

John Mc

Monitor Audio Radius HD 5.1 pack with the Denon AVR1910 for £949.95 - this consists of 2 Pairs of Radius 45HD Satellites, a Radius 180HD dedicated centre, a Radius 360HD Subwoofer and all the wall brackets required (the speakers alone would normally retail at over £800 in the UK!) http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/radius-hd
    /QUOTE]

Hi.

I've Been looking at reviews of the suggested and looks pretty much top quality stuff.

Denon 1910
    Monitor Audio Radius HD 5.1
    - 2 pairs of Radius 45HD Satellites ( 2 sides and 2 rears ?)
    - Radius 180HD (you are suggesting this as centre speaker I guess ?)
    - Radius 360HD subwoofer

I will need cable also, 30 meters as you quoated dsine should be enough. My roomis similar size to his. A single HDMI cable should suffice for now, I havent got a blueray player or sky hd yet but when I do the cable will be handy.

Will I be able to plug sky digital, dvd players (non blueray), ipods into this solution hasslefree from the box or do I need additional cables/connections ?

Can you quote me for everything above ?

If you have a Blue Ray Player which can be unclocked and supports USB input let me know the price also please.

Thanks

Richie

Hi John,
    Just so that I can see if its possible for me to stretch things a bit.
    Can you please price the denon with the vectors with the necessary stands, cable and the necessary plugs. If the difference is within 150-200 I might just spring for one.

Thanks.

Dsine,

apologies for the delay in getting back to you and here we have a problem!

Monitor Audio don't often screw up - but they have this time - there is no standmount for the Vectors so I'm not sure if these will suit you if Mrs Dsine is still looking for the nice cable management floor stands??

ATB,

John Mc

Hi John,
    Ok, can you price them without the stands but with all the cables and the connectors and everything that I might possibly need. I would like to place the order latest by tomorrow.

Thanks
    Dsine,

apologies for the delay in getting back to you and here we have a problem!

Monitor Audio don't often screw up - but they have this time - there is no standmount for the Vectors so I'm not sure if these will suit you if Mrs Dsine is still looking for the nice cable management floor stands??

ATB,

John Mc

Ok,

AVR1910 AV Receiver
    Monitor Audio V10 Satellites * 2 Pairs
    Monitor Audio V20 Centre * 1
    Monitor Audio VW8 Subwoofer * 1
    Panasonic 3 Mtr HDMI * 1
    Gale Symphony 100 Speaker cable * 30 Mtrs
    £829.95/€969.99

Thanks again,

ATB,

John Mc

• Advertisement

Hi John,
    Alright this sounds good. Will go with this. Can you let me know what needs to be done next.
    Ok,

AVR1910 AV Receiver
    Monitor Audio V10 Satellites * 2 Pairs
    Monitor Audio V20 Centre * 1
    Monitor Audio VW8 Subwoofer * 1
    Panasonic 3 Mtr HDMI * 1
    Gale Symphony 100 Speaker cable * 30 Mtrs
    £829.95/€969.99

Thanks again,

ATB,

John Mc

Hi John,
    Alright this sounds good. Will go with this. Can you let me know what needs to be done next.

Thanks Dsine (& Mrs Dsine)

Just drop me a PM with your contact details and I'll get one of the guys to drop you a line today and get you sorted,

Thanks again - got there in the end...and don't forget to give us a shout - we are here if you have ANY issues!

John Mc

Hi John.

You never answered my post above. Can you get back to me on that.

Thanks

Richie

elvis2002 wrote: »

Monitor Audio Radius HD 5.1 pack with the Denon AVR1910 for £949.95 - this consists of 2 Pairs of Radius 45HD Satellites, a Radius 180HD dedicated centre, a Radius 360HD Subwoofer and all the wall brackets required (the speakers alone would normally retail at over £800 in the UK!) http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/radius-hd
    /QUOTE]

Hi.

I've Been looking at reviews of the suggested and looks pretty much top quality stuff.

Denon 1910
    Monitor Audio Radius HD 5.1
    - 2 pairs of Radius 45HD Satellites ( 2 sides and 2 rears ?)
    - Radius 180HD (you are suggesting this as centre speaker I guess ?)
    - Radius 360HD subwoofer

I will need cable also, 30 meters as you quoated dsine should be enough. My roomis similar size to his. A single HDMI cable should suffice for now, I havent got a blueray player or sky hd yet but when I do the cable will be handy.

Will I be able to plug sky digital, dvd players (non blueray), ipods into this solution hasslefree from the box or do I need additional cables/connections ?

Can you quote me for everything above ?

If you have a Blue Ray Player which can be unclocked and supports USB input let me know the price also please.

Thanks

Richie

Richie,

apologies for the delay in getting back to you -

Ok if you want to add a MR (for standard DVD only) Blu-ray and a few other bits as above here is a suggestion.

Philips BD3000 Bluray
    Cambridge Audio ID10 Ipod dock
    Cambridge Audio ID10 Ipod Dock remote & accessory kit
    Cambridge Audio Optical (to connect Audio from Sky+)
    Cambridge Audio Scart-6 Phono - To connect Video from Sky+

All bundled together at £159.95

Thanks again and apologies for the delay in getting back to you,

Keep me posted,

ATB
    John Mc

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.