Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental question

Options
  • 06-08-2009 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

If i want to terminate my lease which runs out in Jan 10 can i do this without loosing my depoist if i give enough notice?? My landlord says i cant help need advice!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Moved to the Accommodation & Property forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Paul96 wrote: »
    If i want to terminate my lease which runs out in Jan 10 can i do this without loosing my depoist if i give enough notice?? My landlord says i cant help need advice!!

unless you have a break clause then yes he can keep your depsit and can sue you for all outstanding rent until Jan 10

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

just as a matter of interest. if i were to loose my job, and where unable to afford the rent, surely i would have no choice but to move out.
    i am asking this, as i am a tenant and a landlord of anyother property. so i am interested in both sides..........

as a londlord, i would have no problem with a tenant terminating the lease due to financial problems, it has happened with my previous tenant.
    but i dont know what rights i would have in that situation as landlord or tenant.

Paulyh wrote: »
    just as a matter of interest. if i were to loose my job, and where unable to afford the rent, surely i would have no choice but to move out.
    i am asking this, as i am a tenant and a landlord of anyother property. so i am interested in both sides..........

as a londlord, i would have no problem with a tenant terminating the lease due to financial problems, it has happened with my previous tenant.
    but i dont know what rights i would have in that situation as landlord or tenant.

Thats why people need to think about what they are signing before doing so. Realistically people should be asking for break clauses in their lease to combat these kind of things, a sort of protection plan incase something out of the ordinary happens.

people take out cover against loans to prevent similar things why do they not think about the same when signing other financial agreements ?

I think that most landlords would have the cop on to let this kind of situation end amicably anyway. There needs to be a level of logic here.

However if its a case of somebody deciding they can rent somewhere lese for less or whatnot then yes they should feel the effect of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Paul96

The reason is that there where a couple of us sharing the lease and subsequently loss of jobs has forced us to move out i have said this to the landlord but he sees it as not his problem if i cant keep my depoist then how am i to afford a place for myself?

• Advertisement

Paul96 wrote: »
    The reason is that there where a couple of us sharing the lease and subsequently loss of jobs has forced us to move out i have said this to the landlord but he sees it as not his problem if i cant keep my depoist then how am i to afford a place for myself?

the landlord is right, Its not his problem.

Advertisement