Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd Phone Port on UPC box?

Options
  • 06-08-2009 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

I just ran an extension today to run another phone from the 2nd port on the UPC box.

Now I tried before I done it, and the 2nd port dosent seem to be working. I just put a splitter into the 1st port and am using it this way.

My question is,

Does this 2nd port work as normal like this 1st port or is it for something else??

Do I need to do anything to make this port work?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

The 2nd port is there if you wish to take out a second line with UPC (with a seperate number, and additional line rental). If you only pay for one line, port 2 is not enabled.

Basically, it's not possible to run one line off both ports - you need to split the first port as you have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

wonder is there any hack you can do to get a voip pbx here...?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I'd imagine the port provisioning is all locked down so only UPC can modify it. No harm to take a look through the web interface, but I'd doubt it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Cheers lads. Saves me wasting anymore time.

While im here.... I have just the 1 phone off the splitter, but is it possible to run the other eircom phone set-up off the UPC box?

My set-up is: UPC box in spare room(to be office upstairs), only have phone and broadband with UPC, the other phone is in the main bedroom upstairs, and then the other phone is in the sitting room.
    While I have the 2 phones upstairs connected, can I use the existing phone cable to connect up the main bedroom down to the sittingroom, as it will be virtually impossible to do this with an extension.

The house has all phone cable internally, and if I can use this it would be perfect.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

The UPC cable modems are provisoned (configured) from the cable network side - not possible to change any settings from the customer side.

Yes, you can use your existing cabling. If you run an ordinary phone cable from Port 1 on your cable modem to any phone socket connected to your extension, any of the phones on this extension will now operate through UPCs service. Disconnect your existing eircom line completely from the extension first, at the main eircom socket in your property. It is very important you do this, even if the eircom line appears "dead".

• Advertisement

Thats great news Kensington.

Many thanks for the help.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

If you're going to go poking around with the eircom phoneline do bear in mind that it carries live electricity and could injure you if you don't know what you're doing.

Moriarty wrote: »
    If you're going to go poking around with the eircom phoneline do bear in mind that it carries live electricity and could injure you if you don't know what you're doing.

Thanks for the concern Moriarty, but Ive done a good bit of stuff before with the phones. What my problem is here, is that im not in my own place and therefore am trying to keep all the cables concealed, if I was in my own place it would be grand I would tack all the cables up neatly.

I'll post how I get on.

Advertisement