Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee Shop and refills

Options
  • 06-08-2009 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just back from the States a week or so and Cork has most things any big city over there has except for one thing, a diner or coffee shop that will refill your coffee without a charge.

Is there anywhere in Cork where you can go in, sit down, order a coffee and need not feel like having to buy any more stuff but they refill the coffee as part of the whole thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

you may find a decent hotel (4 or 5 star) who may do free refills but don't expect them to some around with the coffee pot offering the stuff, you need to go up and ask. My mother has done just that and she was successful a lot of the time but it's a case of hit and miss I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

There used to be a great little coffee shop next to UCC years ago called An Cupan Tae. They used always give refills of coffee. Long gone though I am afraid and don't know of anywhere else that does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Why would they, you are expected to pay for things in Ireland not get them for nothing like the Yanks expect.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

There's a really nice Chinese restaurant down the street off the south mall where the ulster bank is. Across from the Indian restaurant. They do a solid meal deal for like under €10 and you get coffee with it. They have no problem and don't seem to charge me when I ask for a refill. That's really the only place I ever get free coffee topped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

there's a few places will top up coffee with your breakfast, but only if you actually buy a breakfast.

• Advertisement

deRanged wrote: »
    there's a few places will top up coffee with your breakfast, but only if you actually buy a breakfast.

Any names?

Having read the OP again, I see it mentions just buying a coffee and nothing else and getting refills. I can't see anywhere doing this as you are just taking up space and not spending much money. If you are also eating then you would be more likely to get a refill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Ludo wrote: »
    Any names?
    Cafe de la Paix (opposite the Kino).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've found a good few times that you get free refills in Scott's during the afternoon, at least as long as you order from the the same person.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Liberty Grill do refills. At least, if you get a cup of coffee, as opposed to a pot. Maybe it was just a nice waitress that day...:p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Scoozi's and Nash 19 do free refills. You'll only get refills if you're drinking filter coffee, because then they can go around with a pot. If you order an Americano, it's from an espresso machine so you have no chance of getting a free refill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

Why would they, you are expected to pay for things in Ireland not get them for nothing like the Yanks expect.

MC

What about boffer.co.uk's £7 charge? Can't be expecting things for free now can we?!

Ludo wrote: »
    Any names?

Having read the OP again, I see it mentions just buying a coffee and nothing else and getting refills. I can't see anywhere doing this as you are just taking up space and not spending much money. If you are also eating then you would be more likely to get a refill.
    I see your point...must go into town for breakfast someday when I can afford it and see what the craic is haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

mmmmmmmmmmm.......coffee.....ilove gloria jeans....... but don't know if they do refills i know i wouldn't, unless people ate or spent a minimum.....pesky tax dodging students:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

The Newport bar in Paul Street/Rory Gallagher Square also do refills on Coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

The Farmgate in the English Market does free refills, in both parts of the restaurant (Waiter service/self service) and the ladies who work there are usually good craic.

+1 for Nash 19......fab food, service like clockwork, refills regularly. One of the best/best run / friendliest cafes I've experienced. No wonder the queues out the door at times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Fabio wrote: »
    What about boffer.co.uk's £7 charge? Can't be expecting things for free now can we?!

It's a £7 surcharge if you knew anything about it you might have saved yourself the embarrassment. :rolleyes:

Max001 wrote: »

+1 for Nash 19......fab food, service like clockwork, refills regularly. One of the best/best run / friendliest cafes I've experienced. No wonder the queues out the door at times :)

Are you for real ? Loads of folk working in town for years say the place is a kip.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Are you for real ? Loads of folk working in town for years say the place is a kip.

Well, 'loads of folk' know nothing then. I don't dabble in hearsay. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Nash ++, been there on occasion and had always enjoyed the food.

I wouldn't class folk I know who work in town for years (open of them works acorss the road from there) saying the place is awful as hearsay. You might as well encompass everthing on boards.ie as hearsay so if that is your philosophy :D

• Advertisement

Its hearsay if you're repeating something someone else saw etc and then told you about. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Geog

You can see why lots of places DON'T do refills though as they would fear their tables will be hogged for the day. Having said that, I think one refill is quite acceptable.

Geog wrote: »
    You can see why lots of places DON'T do refills though as they would fear their tables will be hogged for the day. Having said that, I think one refill is quite acceptable.

It seems to work okay in the U.S. and no doubt elsewhere. Can't see why its not done here. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Max001 wrote: »
    It seems to work okay in the U.S. and no doubt elsewhere. Can't see why its not done here. :confused:

while I sort of see your point I also realise there is a massive cultural difference between punters here and in the States. Take the example of the daily newspaper dispensers in cities round the US, you know the ones where you put in your few quarters and it opens, allowing you full access to all the papers inside. You simply take one and close it again, easy.
    Now, can you see that working well in Ireland? I'd give it 5 minutes before someone either; sets the contents on fire, relieves themselves all over the papers, steals all the papers..the list goes on.

Basically there would be too many chancers/freeloaders here to make the system work nationwide, hence why it is confined to a minority of places that are probably secure in their clientele to do it.
    Sorry for going on with an odd example but ya get the gist yeah?? :)

Couple of other reasons for not doing it here...

Very few places serve plain old filtered coffee anymore. This is the only coffee that can be easily refilled. Too many double skinny lattee drinkers these days.

It is also a service thing. To encourage more tips in the US the waitress will top you up. Not a big deal here.

Now, can you see that working well in Ireland? I'd give it 5 minutes before someone either; sets the contents on fire, relieves themselves all over the papers, steals all the papers..the list goes on.Sorry for going on with an odd example but ya get the gist yeah?? :)

Yup, I do indeed and thanks for the early morning laugh :D

It's a £7 surcharge if you knew anything about it you might have saved yourself the embarrassment. :rolleyes:

Embarrassment?! :confused: Whatever makes you feel happy :rolleyes:

Well done.

Thanks to everyone else for actually contributing meaningful things to the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭104494431

Bill-e wrote: »
    There's a really nice Chinese restaurant down the street off the south mall where the ulster bank is. Across from the Indian restaurant. They do a solid meal deal for like under €10 and you get coffee with it. They have no problem and don't seem to charge me when I ask for a refill. That's really the only place I ever get free coffee topped up.

That would be Star Vast, they have decent food and they are friendly. Their coffee is instant coffee and also tastes like crap though, hence the free refills.

Advertisement