Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is my Head at??

Options
  • 06-08-2009 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Hi all

A while ago I purchased some bottles of Guinness and to my disappointment found it very fizzy with very little head, convinced due to the widget in the can I would get a much better result and got some cans this evening, I got No head at all, it looks like a pint of coca cola!.I held the glass at 45 degrees and poured, straightened up for the end of the can and nothing!! Very Disappointed.

Am I doing something wrong. I do like a nice creamy head on my guiness, please tell me its possible in the home.

John
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

My guess is that you picked up bottled Guinness Extra Stout (old school looking bottle/can). This contains no widget and is fizzy (with CO2) like a lager.
    (IMO much nicer than the widget can anyway!!!!:))
    I dont think any Guinness bottles these days have widgets!!

You probably wanted Guinness Draught (can with a widget). This contains a widget containing Nitrogen that creates the creamy head when the can is opened that doesnt dissolve. Same as a pint in a pub...

If you shake the cans a little you should be able to hear the widget inside.

Also, its really important that the glass is absolutely spotless when you pour beer into it otherwise the head wont last long at all (for fizzy beer that is, widget cans will always have a head)...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

If it was bottles of Extra Stout that you picked up, then leave them at room temperature, and you should have a big frothy head, and more flavour to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Everything these two above have said ^

There's a draught bottle with a "rocket" widget. They're very very expensive though and basically jsut a novelty.

d36e54e1f62455d422fd603bc15179e1_thumb_1.jpg c7854d86b51c02a8e46ae2daf4c9f628.jpg

http://www2.guinness.com/en-row/Pages/thebeer-draught-bottle.aspx?me=cqlba1q1w3eppnb0zslv12vn

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Anybody still got a guinness syringe?
    pci019-1978.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

Hi all

I realised my mistake from a bit of research on the net alright. Indeed it was Guiness Extra Stout I had purchased.... oops! Just in from work now I will indulge in a nice glass of Guiness DRAUGHT.

Thanks for your advice all.

John

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

johnc24 wrote: »
    oops!
    I think the advice was that you dodged a bullet.

I see in today's paper that the Guinness heir prefers Extra Stout to nitro draught:
    It seems the punters there – who he describes as a “bit long in the tooth” – enjoy a bottle of Guinness, which, interestingly, also happens to be how Rory likes to take the black stuff. “I prefer the bottle to the pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Born in Dublin’s Rotunda Hospital, Rory had a privileged childhood, that involved mucking about on the brewery site and the family’s former 78-acre estate at Farmleigh in the Phoenix Park, which is now owned by the State.

The Guinness family were never really salt of the earth were they ? Drink of the humble working man my bum! :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    The Guinness family were never really salt of the earth were they ?
    Did somebody say they were?

It was the drink of the working man, but the working man's beer money went to the aristocracy and their shareholders. Little changes.

Advertisement