Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Militaria Shop in Dublin?

Options
  • 06-08-2009 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been posted before, but is there a militaria shop in Dublin? I remember there being one on Parnell Square, but it seems to be closed now (unless I'm mistaken). Have they moved, or are there any other similar shops about?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Hi - I think your best bet would be militaria fairs.

There are a couple in Dublin every couple of months (one at the North Star hotel & one at the Teachers club on Parnell square).

If you check the events thread at the top it should have up to date info on the next ones. Offhand I think August 15th at the North star is the next one.

The last big-ish shop I can think of was in the powerscourt arcade, charged a fortune compared to webprices and went out of business.

There is still one in Georgian arcade with a very limited selection however.
    There is also one in blackrock market selling medals, uniforms and photographs but again limited selection and not cheap.

The fairs will have a selection of dealers (from Ireland and ocassionally from abroad) and private collectors selling, tend to have more selection and prices are slightly better than shops, For the best prices the web is usually the best place to buy, the likes of the e-stand on wehrmacht awards forum, or the for sale section of gmic tend to have reasonable prices and a wide selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

VonLuck wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been posted before, but is there a militaria shop in Dublin? I remember there being one on Parnell Square, but it seems to be closed now (unless I'm mistaken). Have they moved, or are there any other similar shops about?

Thanks.

the bloke from parnell closed as , from what i heard , he was driving in from carlow every day and decided to retire . he was a nice bloke . i had some good chats with him and bought a couple of things off him .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭VonLuck

the bloke from parnell closed as , from what i heard , he was driving in from carlow every day and decided to retire . he was a nice bloke . i had some good chats with him and bought a couple of things off him .

Ah okay. I had a few chats with him myself, although I never bought anything. Sound guy. Sorry to hear he closed.

Where and when are fairs normally held by the way?

VonLuck wrote: »
    Where and when are fairs normally held by the way?

i was at 1 in the north star hotel on 15th august . a fair few stalls not much room to move and e5.00 in. next 1 is 7th november in north star . i have bought a few things there , some medals and badges since i started going. you might get a bargain if your lucky. i buy badges off the same bloke and he gives me a decent discount around 50% of selling price . dont know his name but hes sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

The North Star Fair is not bad but the venue is crap. Too small and it gets way too warm. Some of the regular dealers are sound but there are few enough bargains. The €5 entrance fee is a bit steep also.

The Salute Show in the Exhibition Centre in Swords next Saturday and Sunday will more than likely have a dealer or two present. I was there last year and picked up a few items.

• Advertisement

ollaetta wrote: »
    The North Star Fair is not bad but the venue is crap. Too small and it gets way too warm. Some of the regular dealers are sound but there are few enough bargains. The €5 entrance fee is a bit steep also.
    Couldn't agree with you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

The Teachers Club fair was yesterday unfortunately. I had it set in my phone to remind me and everything but for some odd reason, no reminder. Ah well, it will be back in december.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bren1938

Cyril Wall of Yesteryear was the name of the shop. Excellent place went there for years and a good place to meet fellow collectors. Living in Cavan, Health not the best these last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭The Dragon

Except for the militaria fairs held in Dublin there is no where else to buy militaria. No militaria shops in Dublin thats for sure. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

bren1938 wrote: »
    Cyril Wall of Yesteryear was the name of the shop. Excellent place went there for years and a good place to meet fellow collectors. Living in Cavan, Health not the best these last few years.

Loved that place, didn't realise he wasn't well. Does he turn up to any of the fairs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭The Dragon

I brought up the subject about militaria shops before in another thread. Alot of people made some very valid and interesting points. Basically everyone would love to see a militaria shop open but in order for the shop to remain open you would need turnover like any other business. You would also need a variety of items to sell in order to facilitate every ones pocket. Low end militaria although bread and butter items would not generate enough money to keep a shop open and people here in Ireland will not pay high end prices for items.

Maybe if there was an up turn in the economy things would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Would have to sell other antiques to survive, or something else. Nobody would go to a shop anywhere out in the country where rent is low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ladybird.d

Hiya Kowloon,

How are you? Just came across this thread, and seen that my Da and his old shop was mentioned, it's great to see that other people, rather than myself loved that shop, always had great characters in it :) Unfortunetly my Da doesn't go down to the fairs that often, as he's not down in Dublin that much.

Advertisement