Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Organic farmers milk price?

• 06-08-2009 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

Anybody know what organic farmers are being payed for their milk at the moment? Im thinking I might have to convert as the price im getting for ordinary milk is dire! Is Glenisk the only purchaser in Ireland and would they purchase from anywhere in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I think it was about 10 c more after 2 years but its too late anyway
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/press/pressreleases/2009/july/title,33766,en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Pacoa

By "too late" do you mean it's too late to solve the current crisis? It takes too long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

The existing Organic Farming Scheme is suspended for new applications from today, pending the outcome of the review
    I think the review will say there are no funds available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭G-Man

Theres an organic dairy farmer near me, he says Glenisk cut the price from 38c to 30c ... (I dont know how recent, i may have the figures wrong.).

He then decided to work in partnership, with a small startup dairy who bottle it. The bottler said processing costs would make it very difficult to pay 40c back to farm side (which farm side needed)... i.e as its a partnership, the bottler was making no profit at that (milk is sold retail for 1.25 a litre.)

I notice Superquinn have own brand organic at 1.25/L alongside glenisk at 1.60/L.... Milk is stamped IE. Lidl have organic milk also at 1.25 L. its stamped UK/NI. So with this competition, expect to see even more price pressure on organic milk. This was always going to happen, as organics become more mainstream and there are more suppliers, the price pressures would force farmers back to the same level of profits.

Is cheese supplier the way to go... Cheese retails at 22/Kg.. But, 1 K of cheese needs approx 8/10 Kg of Milk... + the processing costs, but cheese surely there is a better chance of developing brand loyalty.

Good luck, I am not dairying myself, but understand Your pressures.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Pacoa

Thanks for that g-man, its preety much what i thought the price would be. They couldn't go much lower than that cause then there'd be no point in being organic. Paying something like 500 euro per ton of ration would push up your costs and then no antibiotics for mastitis, i think alot of farmers would just go back to conventional dairy farming if the price gap closed too much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement