Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**HELP** Water pipe from mains to house

• 06-08-2009 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi all, suppose to be buying this on saturday.. . tight for time now . . .

The mains is running along the main road, my house is 450meters back from it, so i have to buy 450 meters of pipe. the site is about 35-40 meters above road level.

I was originally thinking 3/4 inch pipe back to main house. .

so, 450meters back from the mains and a 40 meter rise, what would you recommend??. I had a guy on site today and mentioned go with inch & 1/2 or even 2 inch, saying also that i would get good pressure with this (and that i would loose water pressure with distance and rise.

I was originally getting 3/4inch high gauge wavin, but then i was made aware of blue alcaline water pipe which they use in the uk and NI. and given the distance, the Blue alcaline pipe(or what i think it is now from reading on net is Polybutylene) (ignoring the FX rates and NI cheaper) still works out way way cheaper,

3/4 inch wavin for 430 meters i got it at €470
    3/4 inch Blue Alcaline for 430 meters £140

is there any preference which i use? blue alca or wavin,

so, im stuck with 2 decisions which i thought i had made. . and now its

What thickness??

and wavin or blue alcaline??

immediate ideas/thoughts/responses would be brill. . .

thanks for your time in reading this.. .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Thats quite a rise - is there enough mains pressure ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭A country home

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Thats quite a rise - is there enough mains pressure ?

enough i know to bring it further up the hill, about another further 20 meters, maybe 25meters. (for cattle water trough) but that pipe is about 1/4 inch id say. .

just read this on the councils website

"Unplasticated Polyvinyl chloride (uPVC) pipes shall comply
    with the Provisional Local Government Approval Scheme (PLGAS/7) or with any
    subsequent revision thereof (or equivalent). Polythene pipes Type 32 (Heavy Gauge
    Only) shall conform to I.S. 134/1977 or equivalent. Polythene pipes Type 50 (High
    Density) shall comply with I.S. 135/1975 or equivalent"

"I also hereby agree to the conditions hereunder, if the extension is greater than the standard (½”) 12mm diameter supply.
    1. The watermain and service pipe shall be laid in piping of such materials and of such dimensions as may be determined by the County Engineer.
    2. The connection with the public watermain shall be made under the supervision of such person as may be appointed for the purpose by the County Council.
    3. The total cost of the watermain and service pipe, the laying thereof, the Water Service Control Unit together with the connection to the watermain shall be borne by the applicant for water supply.
    4. The extended watermain when laid and approved of by the Council shall be taken over and maintained by the Council with a right to grant further service connections on the conditions laid down herein.
    “Watermain” in this context means any pipe having a bore larger than ½”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

As per your post above your pipe type and size may well be determined by the local council. They can be accommodating at times :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

As Muffler said, the reigonal engineer will specify the pipe for you, they are precise and won't allow you connect anything other then they specify, usually.

• Advertisement

this i know, but i also know that if the max i can connect is half inch or 3/4 inch it does not matter what i have on the site. .

i could run a 4 meter 1/2inch to suit council and then step it up. . I am responsible for it so ill be looking after my own needs. sure its easier for the council to say 1/2 inch, its less hassle as its std but it wont suit me.

does many people use poly pipe? the blue pipe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

this i know, but i also know that if the max i can connect is half inch or 3/4 inch it does not matter what i have on the site. .

i could run a 4 meter 1/2inch to suit council and then step it up. .
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

i could run a 4 meter 1/2inch to suit council and then step it up. . I am responsible for it so ill be looking after my own needs. sure its easier for the council to say 1/2 inch, its less hassle as its std but it wont suit me.

does many people use poly pipe? the blue pipe?

This will just lower the pressure.

Advertisement