If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for 37" - 42" TV

Options
  • 06-08-2009 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm looking for a 37" full HD flat panel for our living room. 32" is a bit small, and I think 42" might be a bit oversized for the room. No religious feelings about LCD vs Plasma or any brand loyalty to worry about.

HD sources will be:
    UPC HD box
    Xbox 360
    Potential future Blue ray player
    Potential future htpc

It would be nice if it could play video files from usb, but not a major issue if it cant.
    Mpeg4 tuner for DTT would be nice.

Looking forward to seeing what you suggest :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Just FYI I got the 37 about two weeks ago and while a fantastic picture, I just swapped it for the 42 today and I would highly recommend it. My room ain't massive but it looks very well, the new Philips have a lovely design now and they're much slimmer than they used to be too. I would def send you down the line of the 42PFL8404 or 9604 if you can head that way, but ye best let the guys know what yer budget is and they'll give ye the best they can!

Only one caveat though if yer married prepare yerself for the "it's too real" conversation, I recommend the answers "That's the point" and "There's another telly out in the kitchen"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Maxheadroom

Lots of options for you to look at!

We have the very popular and well liked 37PFL8404 and the excellent 37PFL9604 retailling at €999 and €1399.99.

In the 42" screen size we have:

The 42pfl7404 100Hz LCD at €1099.99 (another Boardies favourite)
    the 42pfl8404 100Hz, Ambilight and NET TV €1299.99 (once again a bit of a hit with Boardies)
    and the range topping 42PFL9604H 200Hz, Ambilight wireless NET TV at €1799.99 (yep, sounding like a broken record - this is a popular one also....)

I'm on deliveries at the moment so I'll dig out spec on these and post up upon my return. You should find them all on the www.p4c.philips.com if you want to check 'em out sooner.

I'll send you Boardies pricing on them as well when I'm back in the shop.

thanks for the enquirey

Cheers
    Ash

Hi Maxheadroom

OK back to business...
    The 37PFL8404 is yours for €850
    www.p4c.philips.com/files/3/37pfl8404h_12/37pfl8404h_12_pss_eng.pdf

The 37PFL9604 is yours for €1200
    www.p4c.philips.com/files/3/37pfl9604h_12/37pfl9604h_12_pss_eng.pdf

The 42PFL7404 is yours for €800
    www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pfl7404h_12/42pfl7404h_12_pss_eng.pdf

the 42PFL8404 is yours for €1000
    www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pfl8404h_12/42pfl8404h_12_pss_eng.pdf

I've included links to the spec sheets for each TV - just a little temptation:)

Both the 7 and 8 series TV's have 4 HDMI inputs (5x HDMI on 9 series), 2x SCART and 1x VGA along with component and USB etc - so plenty of inputs there for you to get stuck into

OH you have a UPC HD box - I've asking them when they are going to release HD box/HD programing for months now and got now where with them:mad:

atb
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

AshMiller wrote: »
    Hi Maxheadroom

OK back to business...
    The 37PFL8404 is yours for €850
    www.p4c.philips.com/files/3/37pfl8404h_12/37pfl8404h_12_pss_eng.pdf

The 37PFL9604 is yours for €1200
    www.p4c.philips.com/files/3/37pfl9604h_12/37pfl9604h_12_pss_eng.pdf

The 42PFL7404 is yours for €800
    www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pfl7404h_12/42pfl7404h_12_pss_eng.pdf

the 42PFL8404 is yours for €1000
    www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pfl8404h_12/42pfl8404h_12_pss_eng.pdf

I've included links to the spec sheets for each TV - just a little temptation:)

Both the 7 and 8 series TV's have 4 HDMI inputs (5x HDMI on 9 series), 2x SCART and 1x VGA along with component and USB etc - so plenty of inputs there for you to get stuck into

OH you have a UPC HD box - I've asking them when they are going to release HD box/HD programing for months now and got now where with them:mad:

atb
    Ash

Thanks Ash,

€800 would be the top end of my budget for this. Is there a big difference between the picture quality on the 37PFL8404 and the 42PFL7404?

I'd be interested in seeing what the guys from Belfast could offer on other brands too ;)

I don't have the HD box yet, but we're moving into our new place in about a week and will hopefully get it in shortly after that. There's a thread about it over on the cable forum if you're interested

Hi Maxheadroom

Well the simple answer to that is - No!

As far as Image Quality is concerned they are the same, same LCD panel, processor, contrast ratio etc.

The only difference between them is the inclusion of Ambilight and NET TV on the 8 Series TV's

That probably helps slim the choice down abit eh!

Cheers
    Ash

• Advertisement

re the UPD HD BOX

Cheers

I was blissfully unaware they had released one - only spoke to them 3 weeks back as well!

Well thats next on my wish list now...

Cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

once you go ambilight you will never go back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi maxheadroom.

Nice boardie name by the way.....

Have you looked at the LG37LF7700 freesat model ?

It gets good reviews in the mags and it's one of the best that I have seen for HD sources, that's sensibly priced.

We have it at £599.95 and full details can be found here : http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/lg/37lf7700/lg-37lf77starstar

We also have it on display in the shop so if you are around town (Belfast that is), call in and see it in the flesh.

Hicks is right though, if you go ambilight, it's hard to go back.

Cheers

Dave

Thats very true re Ambilight!
    The room justs looks flat when you switch it off doesnt it!

Ash

Hi maxheadroom.

Nice boardie name by the way.....

Have you looked at the LG37LF7700 freesat model ?

It gets good reviews in the mags and it's one of the best that I have seen for HD sources, that's sensibly priced.

We have it at £599.95 and full details can be found here : http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/lg/37lf7700/lg-37lf77starstar

We also have it on display in the shop so if you are around town (Belfast that is), call in and see it in the flesh.

Hicks is right though, if you go ambilight, it's hard to go back.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I hadn't considered the LG, mainly because I'm not allowed to mount a satelite dish anywhere, so the freesat bit would be fairly useless. Does the set have an MPEG 4 tuner for the DTV trials?

Would you have either of http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/samsung/le40b650/sams-le40b650 or http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/samsung/le40b550/sams-le40b550 available?

Or would you have any other suggestions? I'll be doing a tour of electrical shops in Dublin tomorrow to check out what all the various options look like in the flesh.

I'm based in Dublin, but with the new motorway that's only 2 hours away from you so picking up in person wouldn't be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Thanks Dave,

I hadn't considered the LG, mainly because I'm not allowed to mount a satelite dish anywhere, so the freesat bit would be fairly useless. Does the set have an MPEG 4 tuner for the DTV trials?

Would you have either of http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/samsung/le40b650/sams-le40b650 or http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/samsung/le40b550/sams-le40b550 available?

Max,

John Mc back - apologies for the delay in getting back to you!

Ok - The LG does have an MPEG 4 decoder - however whilst it's a cracking TV if you cannot mount a Sat dish it's really not for you as the Freesat is it's USP! The 40B650 is available at £695.95 and the LE40B550 is now finished - however I do have one display LE40B530 that I would clear at £479.95

In my opinion the 37PFL8404H really is the pick of the bunch and well worth busting the budget by €50 (even if it's only to avoid the adverty by watching Youtube!)

Thanks again and please drop me a line if we can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

johnmc wrote: »
    .... and the LE40B550 is now finished - however I do have one display LE40B530 that I would clear at £479.95

I would be interested in this (if max doesn't go for it, that is :))

sweetie wrote: »
    I would be interested in this (if max doesn't go for it, that is :))

Go for it sweetie, I'm torn between the Samsung LE40B650 and Philips 42PFL7404.

The philips looks amazing, but when I was watching the demonstration videos in a few places, on the one with a guy in a red shirt running over a rooftop there was horrible motion artefacts around the moving figure. But the design of the TV is fantastic and spacewise it looks about the same as the samsung 40"

The samsung is more expensive, but has the ability to stream from the network and plays mkv files - both of those features significantly reduce the need for a htpc / media box. It also reviews extremely well. But, one place was showing the top gear arctic show in HD and it looked a lot softer and blurrier compared to the philips showing the same programme.

Gah, this is a tough decision. John Mc, don't suppose you'd have any insight (or be prepared to knock anything off that samsung price for a boardsie)?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

You have pretty much hit the nail on the head with the Samsung vs the Philips. The Samsung isn't as sharp as the Philips and the colour depth on the Philips is slightly better. The Samsung does handle motion slightly better but I would have to say that it not completely flawless with fast motion on stardard def. It's stunning on HD sources.

There are a few guys on boards that have bought them from us, so maybe you could get an unbiased review from any owners out there.

Back to JMC for the one about the price but I think I can guess the answer. :(

Cheers

Dave

Just a quick follow-up post, with a few more questions.

I've been back to compare the two screens again, and I'm pretty sure I prefer the Samsung.

Does your version of the LE40B650 have the MPEG4 DVB tuner?
    Do you have one in stock?
    Is it in store only or could I get it delivered to Dublin?

And I'm still waiting for an answer about a boardsie price ;)

Just a quick follow-up post, with a few more questions.

Does your version of the LE40B650 have the MPEG4 DVB tuner?
    Do you have one in stock?
    Is it in store only or could I get it delivered to Dublin?

And I'm still waiting for an answer about a boardsie price ;)

Apologies for that - I saw Dave had replied to your query - I did not see that he had not quoted and kicked the ball back into my court, typical! :rolleyes:

Ok the best price I can do on the Sammy is £694.95 plus £69.95 for the optional 5 year warranty - a total of £764.90 - delivery would be an additional £29.95 ie total total £794.85 - I expect to be able to deliver these from free stock withing the next 10 days(ish) as stocks are freeing up - if you wanted to save the delivery charge we will have limited free in-store stock from tomorrow and I'm happy to reserve you one of these if you wanted to pop up (and you can see the Tall Ships at the same time - they look amazing!)

Keep me posted,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Could you check on the mpeg4 tuner for me? I'd want to know before making the trip. Seems like delivery and petrol would cost the same, so I'd probably drive up, saves waiting on the delivery ;)

Could you check on the mpeg4 tuner for me? I'd want to know before making the trip. Seems like delivery and petrol would cost the same, so I'd probably drive up, saves waiting on the delivery ;)

Oh yep, Doh! sorry about that one!

110% MPEG4 tuner on-board,

Drop me a post before you travel & I'll get one into reserved for you (they came in this morning and 3 left the shop within the hour!)

ATB,

JohnMc

Keep one aside for me - i'll be up for it tomorrow. I'll pm my details once I get home from work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 nightowl2

Hi, I'm new to this site I hope I'm posting in the right place. I'm looking for a 32" Lcd tv, but has to be a silver one, anyone know where I'd get one, thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi Nightowl2

Yep your in the right place alright.
    Only problem they are all black!
    Have a chat with the guys in Richer Sounds they may have silver TV's by other brands but I think most tend to wear black nowadays.

Cheers
    Ash

Keep one aside for me - i'll be up for it tomorrow. I'll pm my details once I get home from work.

Unfortunately there wasn't one left to be reserved by the time my details got to the shop. I have my name down for one, any idea when you're expecting stock to come in?

Unfortunately there wasn't one left to be reserved by the time my details got to the shop. I have my name down for one, any idea when you're expecting stock to come in?

Max,

yep apologies for that - your Mail/PM only hit me on Friday evening & I asked the guys to call you Saturday morning - I'm not sure what stock we have coming in this week as they are really,really low in stock in our main warehouse in England - I have ordered some but I'm not sure if they will arrive - do you want to drop me a line on Thursday and I should have some firm info?

Apologies again for the inconvenience,

ATB,

John Mc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Max,

yep apologies for that - your Mail/PM only hit me on Friday evening & I asked the guys to call you Saturday morning - I'm not sure what stock we have coming in this week as they are really,really low in stock in our main warehouse in England - I have ordered some but I'm not sure if they will arrive - do you want to drop me a line on Thursday and I should have some firm info?

Apologies again for the inconvenience,

ATB,

John Mc

Hi John,

Any update on this samsung LE40B650 ? as I'd also like to get one.

thanks.

syboit wrote: »
    Hi John,

Any update on this samsung LE40B650 ? as I'd also like to get one.

thanks.

Yes,

....and the news is not great!

We don't expect any until 1st week in September and even then the quantities will be limited but I should be able to clear all back orders - plus a few extra.

If you want one drop me a PM with your contact details and I'll pop a no obligation order onto the system to get you on the list,

ATB,

John Mc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Yes,

....and the news is not great!

We don't expect any until 1st week in September and even then the quantities will be limited but I should be able to clear all back orders - plus a few extra.

If you want one drop me a PM with your contact details and I'll pop a no obligation order onto the system to get you on the list,

ATB,

John Mc

thanks John, pm sent.

AshMiller wrote: »
    Hi Nightowl2

Yep your in the right place alright.
    Only problem they are all black!
    Have a chat with the guys in Richer Sounds they may have silver TV's by other brands but I think most tend to wear black nowadays.

Cheers
    Ash

Hi Ash, Sorry I'm only getting back to you now as I'm only new to this site. Thanks so much for getting back to me when you did & I got in contact with Richer Sound's, no joy in getting a silver tv. Think the only place is from the UK & they won't ship to here. Thanks again for your help!!

nightowl2 wrote: »
    Hi Ash, Sorry I'm only getting back to you now as I'm only new to this site. Thanks so much for getting back to me when you did & I got in contact with Richer Sound's, no joy in getting a silver tv. Think the only place is from the UK & they won't ship to here. Thanks again for your help!!

Nightowl,

sorry about that - we DO ship lots of TV's into the south - just we don't have anything in silver at the moment (I'm not sure why we cannot get silver manufacturers will have to wake up and smell the coffee soon as we have a sizable demand for silver now!)

Thanks again for the opportunity to quote,
    ATB,

John Mc

Nightowl,

sorry about that - we DO ship lots of TV's into the south - just we don't have anything in silver at the moment (I'm not sure why we cannot get silver manufacturers will have to wake up and smell the coffee soon as we have a sizable demand for silver now!)

Thanks again for the opportunity to quote,
    ATB,

John Mc

Hiya John,

I think you took me up wrong, as I know you will ship to the south, I was on about different sites I tried like amazon etc before I found your site, but they won't ship to Ireland.

I wouldn't mind the tv isn't even for me its for someone in my family & she's as fussy lol.
    I've a black Lcd & it's lovely.

Thanks alot for your help.

• Advertisement

nightowl2 wrote: »
    Hiya John,

I think you took me up wrong, as I know you will ship to the south, I was on about different sites I tried like amazon etc before I found your site, but they won't ship to Ireland.

I wouldn't mind the tv isn't even for me its for someone in my family & she's as fussy lol.
    I've a black Lcd & it's lovely.

Thanks alot for your help.

Night,

No worries - crossed wires & all that!

ATB,

John Mc

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.