Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonusbonds and Conns Camera's

Options
  • 06-08-2009 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

A note of warning for you - I was buying a camera recently out of Bonusbonds I got from work. I searched the Bonusbonds.ie website and noticed Conns Camera's on their list. In the shop the assistant told me that they are 'accidently' on the bonusbonds website and will take the vouchers as a favour but will have to charge commission. I had to pay 14 euro extra for commission. I was disgusted.

I should have cancelled my purchase and have to say it has put me off Conns Camera's (and bonusbonds) and I would never shop there again. I emailed Bonusbonds three times about this and their commission policy in general but surprise surprise they never replied.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Why take it out on Conn's Cameras? They didn't force you into the sale. They gave you the option saying that they don't have to take the bonds, but seeing as they were mistakenly on the list, (which happens a lot) they would, but would need to cover their own costs of cashing the bonds themselves, by charging you a commission fee.

It's not rocket science to just say that it's ok, I'll think about it and check around for somewhere that will take them, thank you for the offer anyway.

Melodrama much?

Edit: Most people when going to pay with something that isn't overly common like Visa, Mastercard or cash would ask on entering if a shop do they take a certain form of payment to double check as shops change policies all the time. Might be an idea to keep that in mind next time you are using an alternate form of payment.

eg: My Dad uses American Express which was fairly common to be accepted 10 years ago in this country. Now very few places seem to take it. He doesn't just go in to say a restaurant, eat a meal and just expect that they will accept his card as it is a well known credit card company. He asks first if they take it as form of payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Weyhey wrote: »
    I should have cancelled my purchase
    Exactly, only yourself to be disgusted with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

Edit: Most people when going to pay with something that isn't overly common like Visa, Mastercard or cash would ask on entering if a shop do they take a certain form of payment to double check as shops change policies all the time. Might be an idea to keep that in mind next time you are using an alternate form of payment.

eg: My Dad uses American Express which was fairly common to be accepted 10 years ago in this country. Now very few places seem to take it. He doesn't just go in to say a restaurant, eat a meal and just expect that they will accept his card as it is a well known credit card company. He asks first if they take it as form of payment.[/quote]

Thing is with Amex, for example with an Aib Visa machine, It automatically takes most cards except Amex. You have to apply seperately to have it installed.

i run a restaurant and get very few Amex cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

spongeman wrote: »

eg: My Dad uses American Express which was fairly common to be accepted 10 years ago in this country. Now very few places seem to take it. He doesn't just go in to say a restaurant, eat a meal and just expect that they will accept his card as it is a well known credit card company. He asks first if they take it as form of payment.

Thing is with Amex, for example with an Aib Visa machine, It automatically takes most cards except Amex. You have to apply seperately to have it installed.

Probably off-topic, but I think that the Amex merchant charges are in excess of other credit card companies, and many retailers stopped having anything to do with them, not just in Ireland, but worldwide. Amex maintains that their card-holders usually spend more than non-Amex card-holders, so the retailer isn't really losing out. This snobbish attitude doesn't seem to have damaged their business though.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

This is also a warning about using bonusbonds in general. Anyone wants to learn from it so be it if not ignore it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Most places won't charge a commission so it's not really a waring about bonus bonds in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

spongeman wrote: »
    Soundman wrote:

That is my point. 10 years ago, most places that my Dad would want to use his AmEx card would accept it. It seems that since the head office for Europe moved, or the moved out of Ireland (I can't recall), very few places accept it. My point being was that in a case like that, you ask before you avail of the services to make sure that it is accepted.

Weyhey, just face up that you were wrong in your rant and that you should have just used some common decency in your dealings with Conns Cameras and realise that in this big bad old world of ours, especially considering the way technology is. Mistakes happen. Nobody was at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Gillo wrote: »
    Most places won't charge a commission so it's not really a waring about bonus bonds in general.
    But some might have opted out so it is a general warning to ask when you go in.

I am guessing the OP might have spent time with a sales man testing out cameras etc, in which case it can be a bit awkward or embarrassing to say no at the last minute when asked for more money.

I am not saying cons cameras are playing tricks, but pubs know that people do not traditionally ask for prices of drinks before ordering, and so people are less likely to refuse the drink esp. once poured (and no they do not have to display ALL prices on the door)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

rubadub wrote: »
    But some might have opted out so it is a general warning to ask when you go in.

I am guessing the OP might have spent time with a sales man testing out cameras etc, in which case it can be a bit awkward or embarrassing to say no at the last minute when asked for more money.

I am not saying cons cameras are playing tricks, but pubs know that people do not traditionally ask for prices of drinks before ordering, and so people are less likely to refuse the drink esp. once poured (and no they do not have to display ALL prices on the door)
    How many places accept gift vouchers for drinks? The issue is not the price of the camera, its the charge for accepting the voucher as a favour when they didn't have to accept it, but I agree on the lack of consumer alertness.

Could the OP not have haggled for a deal on the fee, I bet the shop would have bent a bit more to get the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

i've never heard of places charging commission for vouchers!if they don't accept them, they don't take em, end of story!

sounds really dodgy tbh, you shouldn't have bought it. it's not like there was a gun to your head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

14 Euros is a lot though for commission.

Advertisement