Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chest problems

• 06-08-2009 11:02pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was wondering did anyone here ever experience chest problems while playing sport? I'm in my early twenties and play gaelic.
    It really slows me down and I'm always panting for my breath when even some of the fatter, older men find it easier than I do.

It's doesn't really bother me at all when I'm not running etc and I don't know if its a heart problem. I don't really over do it at all.

What is so annoying is one day I am one of the fastest lads and the next I am nearly the slowest.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Sounds like you need to see a doctor or sports physio and have some aerobic capacity testing done.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Thanks for the response. Would this involve aerobic excerise? Im not clued up on the subject my apologies.

Also I often find it worst after I have been sexually active, could there be a link there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Doctor tbh.

I have bad enough asthma so thats how I am after any running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Chances are you are awake later and spending a lot more when you are sexually active, (I'm guessing you means its worse the night after you've been sexually active) so you're not gonna have as much energy the next day.

Wasn't there something a few years ago about premiership players not allowed have sex the night before a big match a few years ago, no idea how many calories I burn during sex but it's a fair bit of excerise.

But definitely get yourself checked by a doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Sounds like you need to see a doctor or sports physio and have some aerobic capacity testing done.

Where can ya get that aerobic breath testing done??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

FITNESS TESTING:
    National Coaching and Training Centre
    University of Limerick
    Co Limerick
    Ireland
    Tel +353 - 61 - 202895
    Fax +353 - 61 - 202868
    nctc@ul.ie
    www.nctc.ul.ie/ - national coaching and training centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

The Mater also do a very comphrensive mens health check think it'll set you back about 800 euro it may be part of that and if you might be able to get certain tests done at a cheaper price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

Sounds like you should definitely get a check up.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

I was in hospital for a few days. They done tests and said my heart was fine.
    Problem is I still dont know what is causing the shortness of breath.

Everytime Im sexually active, I have shortness of breath for upto a week.
    But most weeks I train at least 2/3 times for football and so my performance is bad most of the time. Giving up sexual activity cant be the answer, Im in my early twenties.

I really dont know what to do tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

You might just be unfit. Fitness drops very very quickly. One of the young lads was down the club last night and was GASPING for breath after 2 rounds on the pads. This is an 18 year old we're talking about who's lean and relatively muscular and fit as a fiddle only 3 months ago. I'm more than 10 years older than him and have no problem banging out 5 rounds because I haven't stopped at all.

Anyway, one way or the other, your doctor's the person to see. Otherwise it's just random eejits on the internet speculating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭trout

OP - go back to your GP and explain your concerns.

You need medical advice, and you won't get that here.

Advertisement