Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini-Complaint re: Moderation

Options
  • 06-08-2009 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭

Hi

As I say in the headline, this is not a major complaint about the Mod but a minor gripe I'd like to know the answer to.

I was involved in a little tete-a-tete on After Hours on the following thread (the relevant posts are on this page and the page before):
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055626678&page=18

Fair enough, I did get a bit personal and I made two comments (below) that would certainly be considered (minor) personal abuse and got banned for 3 days; fair enough, I accept my punishment and will be good from now on and I told the Mod as much myself (it was Dr Bollocko, btw)
    drkpower wrote: »
    1. Dont let your emotion cloud your judgment (if you had any to begin with).
    2. Please dont accuse me of supporting child abuse just because you are not mentally capable of grasping simple concepts.

In any case, the reason I have a bit of a gripe is that I let myself become bit personal (primarily) because of the following post:
    Be embarrassed, be very embarrassed, and be ashamed of what you stand up for. .

Without going through the whole debate, he was stating that I was standing up for priests who committed clerical child abuse when nothing was further from the truth (which is evident from the thread). In my PM to Dr Bollocko after being banned, I made the point that patrickthomas was guilty of personal abuse and far more (defamation, for one) and I hoped and expected that he would be dealt with in (at least) a similar fashion to myself (ie. he would be banned).

Perhaps I am wrong but it appears that patrickthomas is still posting. I would have left this with the Mod but Ive had no reply as yet (I pm'd almost immediately after being banned). As I said, I accept my own punishment but surely, by any standard, accusing someone of supporting the perpetrators of child sex abuse (with no foundation) is more significant personal abuse than alluding to someone's stupidity.....??

I'd appreciate a response and perhaps an explanation.
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

That's a large thread, can you quote his posts that are personally abusing you and where defamation is involved please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Sure

I am terrible at linking posts so apologies for the mess this post is!!!!
    244, 247, 250, 254, 256, 258, 260, 261 are the relevant posts but the one below is the really objectionable one.

Essentially, I am being accused of "standing up for" perpetrators of child abuse. To be honest, while it bugged me to high heaven at the time, I chose not to report it and to let it go as I judged that it was probably just a bit of bluster, but if I subsequently get banned for essentialy calling him "stupid" in response, I am more than a little peeved that the personal abuse/defamation that he doled out did not result in any similar punishment.

Again, this is more about consistency; I am not declaring my innocence. I should have bbit my tongue but when someone calls you a clerical child abuse sympathiser it can be difficult, as you will probably appreciate.
    post_old.gif Yesterday, 10:57 #256 patrickthomas
    blue_star_1.gif

Adverts | Friends

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drkpower viewpost.gif
    What are you talking about; many abusers have been and continue to be brought to trial and if you want anymore to be brought to trial, you should not want the abusers in the Ryan report named.

Your short-sightedness will protect those that we all want imprisoned. That is warped logic. Forgiveable for a teenager, embarrassing for a grown man.

Be embarrassed, be very embarrassed, and be ashamed of what you stand up for.
    user_offline.gif

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I can certainly see your point and am performing the inquest myself right now.
    Regardless of anything I learn from this I think that in the context of what I am seeing action should have been taken with the both of you or not at all.
    My initial concern was that you had crossed the line into personal abuse whereas the other poster hadnt. Perhaps thats a debate on semantics rather than intent.
    With the time that has passed since the incident I think that the best thing to do is simply to lift your ban rather than taking action and hopefully we won't see sniping like this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Thanks for the reply.

I wasnt really looking for my ban to be lifted but I see your point; might be overkill to retrospectively ban the other guy.

Just thought I'd raise it as an issue; while personal abuse in the form of "you dumbass" is easier to spot, personal abuse consisting of gross misrepresentations of someone's position are morally and practically far more significant.

But naturally you guys cant be expected to be everywhere and to be following the nuances of every thread so its understandable these things happen every now and again; anyway, thanks for taking the time and Ill lay off the personal stuff for a while....might make your job easier!;)

Advertisement