Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knife

Options
  • 06-08-2009 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

I'm looking at knives for outdoor use (camping, hiking etc). So far I have it down to two, the Leatherman Skeletool CX and the Buck X-Tract. I'm torn between the two! I know the leatherman is more expensive... but it is a leatherman. The buck can be opened with one hand, and looks more compact.

So anyone used them or have any advice?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Links to either?

Quality of the blade is the most important thing when looking at a knife. Don't want to be forever sharpening a quick dulling blade!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

If you are bivouacking and doing some rough stuff I would suggest something heavier and a leatherman. Maybe a traditional fixed blade hunting/fishing knife? Dead handy for stripping trees of small branches, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Huxoin

Links to either?

Quality of the blade is the most important thing when looking at a knife. Don't want to be forever sharpening a quick dulling blade!

Buck X-tract
    Skeletool CX

I think the skeletool's blade is slightly stronger, but then i'm not sure!
    lightening wrote: »
    If you are bivouacking and doing some rough stuff I would suggest something heavier and a leatherman. Maybe a traditional fixed blade hunting/fishing knife? Dead handy for stripping trees of small branches, etc...

I won't be doing anything too rough or tough. That's why I was looking for a kind of multi tool thing. Have you got any recommendations for a fixed blade knife? Just so I can have a look... I know there's thousands out there!

Huxoin wrote: »
    Have you got any recommendations for a fixed blade knife? Just so I can have a look... I know there's thousands out there!

Maybe a little over the top but...

http://www.gowanuslounge.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/machete.jpg

:pac:

Ha! Nice one :P. I don't know if I'll be needing a machete!
    Actually, I don't even need a knife recommendation, I need a site! I've looked on amazon.com and most of them can't be shipped outside us. Amazon.co.uk doesn't seem to have much in terms of fixed blade hunting knives. Is there a site that will deliver to Ireland, with a good range of knives?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Try ASMC.de or eBay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

http://www.marttiini.fi/puukot/shop/english/prod.asp?ContID=224

You can get them through Truetackle Ltd according to their website.

I have a few of Marttini's knives, picked up in my frequent travels to Finland - They're fantastic. The traditional Finnish pukko is a super simple knife and ideal for outdoors/backwoods use. Throw in a simple Swiss Army 'camper' model in your rucksack and you're done for everything from skinning/filleting fish through to opening tins etc.

The trick to owning a knife like that is to keep it sharp and clean, and it'll last a lifetime. My father in law has owned his since he was a little boy, and it's had a long working life. It's still in superb condition, although now sporting a much narrower blade than it did when new! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Something like this is highly regarded as a basic but quality fixed blade knife. http://www.firesteel.co.uk/Frosts%20Mora%20Knives.htm

I've just ordered this baby:D http://www.heinnie.com/g3gsad181432/Knives/Fallkniven/Fällkniven-F1-Survival-Knife/p-92-139-963/

A bit ott maybe if your onsure whether to buy a fixed blade or not, but the Mora is cheap as chips and perfect for camping/bushcraft/general duties around the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Have you got any recommendations for a fixed blade knife? Just so I can have a look... I know there's thousands out there!

Yeah, millions, plenty of decent advice here. I have my one years, don't know what make it is, but the blade is broad and heavy, so you can sort of swing it, dead handy for stripping small branches and the like. The lads on the hunting forum might help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Pages/Product.aspx?category=everyday&product=54751&

I find a swiss army knife, like the one above, is good enough for pretty much everything I need camping/outdoors etc.

The larger locking blade is pretty strong and solid, and most of the extra blades and tools (eg canopener, saw) come in very handy now and again.

A lot of people go on about steel quality, and fixed full tang blades, etc. but unless you are doing some fairly hard core bushcraft or campcraft, I wouldnt say something like that is necessary. I have one of those as well, but I dont think I've ever been in a situation where the SAK wouldn't suffice.
    I'm sure the leatherman is grand too - I just find the design of the SAK nicer to use as a knife, which is its primary function.

Anyway, for general purpose camping, hiking, etc I'd recommend one of the decent multitools over a larger, heavier, special purpose knife.

There's a certain value to the thought that the best knife of all is the one you actually take with you because its generally useful, and hence the one you have on you when you really need it!

Thanks for all the replies! Great links and advice. I'm still torn between folding and fixed, just because I won't be doing anything to tough, and the fixed one looks deadly! But I've narrowed it down to a few if anyone has any advice...

Gerber Prodigy - looks nice, but i'm unsure if it's too big!
    Gerber Big Rock - again, not serrated and big!

Boker Gemini Tactical - nice folding knife
    Boker Plus Direkt - another nice folding knife!

OR.... The gerber lmf II infantry! That looks nice I must say.
    Grr there's way too many options! :P

That's a great site. I've used them before and they provide a fantastic service. Whatever you go for, they'll deliver it quickly. I like the look of the Big Rock and the Boker Plus Direkt out of those. This looks a good knife for the money too http://www.heinnie.com/g3dbta182912/Knives/Beretta/Beretta-Loveless-Hunter-Black-Zytel/p-92-296-628/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

You're really best off asking advice at somewhere like Bladeforums, but here's my 0.002 worth.

Buy a proper sized folding knife.. circa 3 - 4 inch blade Not a multitool.

Brands: Gerber aren't keeping pace these days, and neither are Boker.

Benchmade may catch your eye, they make some nice knives... but for the prices they charge, their QC could be better.

Kershaw make some very nice knives, mostly competitively priced. Possibly the best warranty/service in the business.

Spyderco also have great products, pricing and service.

Go for a flat ground blade... hollow grinds bind, creating drag.

Get a decent sharpener, make sure you know how to sharpen properly.

It's easy to get a decent folder on eBay for a reasonable price.

Rather than fork out for a set of Japanese whet stones, Fallkniven do an excellent sharpener for about €15. It's diamond on one side (takes out nicks and sharpens up a dull knife) and the other side is ceramic (finishes shapening, maintains the edge). Heiinie sell them as well.
    I'd stay away from Bladeforums. A bit of snobbery about brands there. Buy the Frost Mora as a fixed and something like a Spyderco or SOG as a folder. Better off not getting an auto or even assisted opener. Assisted should be legal, but try explaining the difference to the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jaycooper

i never leave the house without my leatherman surge and its never let me down both in the woods or on the job

my first fixed blade knife (fallkniven f1) is on the way from england in the post at the moment so ill let ya know what thats like when she touches down

opinel no. 8 is always a good folder too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

From my training (John Ryder School), etc. fixed blade, more usefull, extra leverage, and safer wont close over like most folding blades). Have a Buck, works great, looks a bit too flashy for my liking, but stays sharp and takes plenty of abuse. Those swedish ones...Frost knives... sold here in snickers shops are grand... get the tool metal one to use as a striker for flint. Most of the good teachers make students use them , Ryder, Mears, Felt etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

I've used a Leatherman for years now but recently decided I needed a proper knife so I got a Mora delivered from the states, along with one of the Fallkniven stones. I haven't had a chance to put it to use yet but it seems good and strong and is very, very sharp.
    Still, would be lost without my Leatherman (no compass jokes please:D )

Sorry to post again, but is there anywhere in around dublin that has a selection of knives? I'm looking at the fixed blades... more specifically the GErber LMF II INfantry.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sorry to post again, but is there anywhere in around dublin that has a selection of knives? I'm looking at the fixed blades... more specifically the GErber LMF II INfantry.
    You might get some more pointers over in the Hunting forum. I've seen some serious (hunting) knife threads over there recently. I also seem to remember seeing some kind of sword/knife forum, in the martial arts sense, on here somewhere but can't find it now.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1014

• Advertisement

Aren't knives with blades over 4 inch banned here?

So I can wander around with a machete and claim because I'm a scout leader and use it for chopping wood I'm alright, sweet:D

Advertisement