Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exporting a firearm from Ireland

Options
  • 07-08-2009 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

A quick question for all of you back home.

As I am currently in the USA, and wont be back in Dublin before the end of the year, I am a little concerned with this new licensing system.

My recently received extension expires on Oct 31st this year, and I doubt that I will be granted an Irish certificate, and not having an invitation to any competitions I wont get a Non-Resident certificate, so I need to get my pistol out of Ireland and fast.

I am authorized to bring my firearm over here with me, but what precisely is required from the Garda in order to be permitted to take my gun out of the country?

Your advice will be appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

ironsight wrote: »
    A quick question for all of you back home.

As I am currently in the USA, and wont be back in Dublin before the end of the year, I am a little concerned with this new licensing system.

My recently received extension expires on Oct 31st this year, and I doubt that I will be granted an Irish certificate, and not having an invitation to any competitions I wont get a Non-Resident certificate, so I need to get my pistol out of Ireland and fast.

I am authorized to bring my firearm over here with me, but what precisely is required from the Garda in order to be permitted to take my gun out of the country?

Your advice will be appreciated..

As far as I know, you require absolutely nothing to export anything. You talk to the airline or courier and they may require paperwork, but you could get on a plane with it in the hold and step off in the US as long as you're clear to have it there with no problems whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

There's also an FCA2 form which allows for the cancellation of a licence. As soon as you get your firearm to the USA, you should fill it in and send it back here to make sure you don't get the ERU descending on your house looking for the firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

As far as I know, you require absolutely nothing to export anything. You talk to the airline or courier and they may require paperwork, but you could get on a plane with it in the hold and step off in the US as long as you're clear to have it there with no problems whatsoever.

No, no. Don't do that! The Dept of Justice website reads:
    'An individual exporting a firearm or ammunition to a country which is not a member of the EU:

Exports to countries which are not members of the EU are dealt with by the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment, whose contact details are as follows:
    Phone: + 353 1 631-2534

BornToKill wrote: »
    No, no. Don't do that! The Dept of Justice website reads:
    'An individual exporting a firearm or ammunition to a country which is not a member of the EU:

Exports to countries which are not members of the EU are dealt with by the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment, whose contact details are as follows:
    Phone: + 353 1 631-2534
    Just be sure that's relevant to your situation. Exports dealt with in such a manner sound to me like actual transactions and not transfers of your own property.

The same instructions are given in the case of a firearms dealer exporting outside the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭ironsight

So basically, I apply for the new Irish certificate and hope that I get it, then as soon as I get back to Dublin I grab my gun and get the hell out of Ireland as quick as I can.

Ha, once I get back here I can carry it all day every day if I like, the benefit of this State is OPEN CARRY, just put it on your belt and walk out the door. If you cover it with a jacket or shirt then you need a concealed weapons permit.

• Advertisement

So basically, I apply for the new Irish certificate and hope that I get it, then as soon as I get back to Dublin I grab my gun and get the hell out of Ireland as quick as I can.

Ha, once I get back here I can carry it all day every day if I like, the benefit of this State is OPEN CARRY, just put it on your belt and walk out the door. If you cover it with a jacket or shirt then you need a concealed weapons permit.
    Well you can do that now as your extension is a firearms certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

rrpc wrote: »
    Just be sure that's relevant to your situation. Exports dealt with in such a manner sound to me like actual transactions and not transfers of your own property.

The same instructions are given in the case of a firearms dealer exporting outside the EU.

An individual making 'actual transactions' (I presume this means trade) by exporting firearms from Ireland to countries outside the EU? They would have to be a firearms dealer. Now, is there a difference between selling your gun to someone in the US and sending it there permanently for your own use?

An individual making 'actual transactions' (I presume this means trade) by exporting firearms from Ireland to countries outside the EU? They would have to be a firearms dealer. Now, is there a difference between selling your gun to someone in the US and sending it there permanently for your own use?
    You don't have to be a firearms dealer to sell your own firearm. The new FCA1 form has a section for purchasing from a 'private source'.

Well I'm living here in the USA but my pistol is in Dublin,I have no idea when I will be back, so I will need the new certificate.
    But I expect to be back for a visit before christmas, I just want to be able to get it out of the country without breaking any of the new laws.

Well I'm living here in the USA but my pistol is in Dublin,I have no idea when I will be back, so I will need the new certificate.
    But I expect to be back for a visit before christmas, I just want to be able to get it out of the country without breaking any of the new laws.
    Right now, who's got it?

Don't answer that unless it's with a dealer or someone licensed to hold it. :eek:

In which case the dealer can ship it to you now, or hold it until you get a new cert or not and ship it to you then. The problem is that if you're application fails, then you can't possess it in Ireland so it needs to go to a dealer then anyway.

• Advertisement

rrpc wrote: »
    Right now, who's got it?

Don't answer that unless it's with a dealer or someone licensed to hold it. :eek:

For now it's safely tucked away with my dealer...........

If it can be avoided I don't want to have it shipped as that would involve using an authorized FFL here in the US and the pistol would have to be marked with the specific importers name. Added to that the cost of the importation service would make it cheaper to just buy a new pistol here.

For now it's safely tucked away with my dealer...........

If it can be avoided I don't want to have it shipped as that would involve using an authorized FFL here in the US and the pistol would have to be marked with the specific importers name. Added to that the cost of the importation service would make it cheaper to just buy a new pistol here.
    It's a bit of a quandary alright. The simplest solution is to come here before 31st October and bring it back to the US.

After that, it depends on you getting a new licence and if not you're into shipping it dealer to dealer.

Can't think of anything else offhand.

Advertisement