Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wanted: Vintage 70s/80s racing bike/frame

• 07-08-2009 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

im looking for a vintage racing frame for a fixed gear conversion to replace a peugeot which recently met its demise. will pay up to 100/150 euro.

im also looking for a wheelset for my trek 1000, 700c, that could fit a 8 speed cassette on it.

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭DJsail

If you an get yourself out to Swords Village Co. Dublin there's a good old shop with a few peugeot frames and parts around that price mark and even less. If not check out www.dublin-bicycle.info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭JMJR

eoincody wrote: »
    im looking for a vintage racing frame for a fixed gear conversion to replace a peugeot which recently met its demise.
    cheers

How badly damaged is the peugeot and do you have it still? I might have a use for it
    John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭ciarsciars

Hi, What size frame you looking for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭JMJR

Ill have to check the frame I have. Its damaged (front lug and the attached tubes are useless) and I was going to try some diy rebuilding more as an experiment to see if it was possible than with any real expectation of a repair.
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 16 eoincody

@ciarsciars im looking for a 56cm/58cm frame. i dunno what that works out as in inches, as i think the scales are a bit different.

@JMJR youre welcome to the frame, it seems pretty knackered to me though, chainstay and seatstay are both really bent, chainring looks like a dali painting, id say the bottom bracket is wrecked too. i was cycling it fixie, and that would put too much pressure on the frame if it was bent back into place. could possibly be salvaged, but not as anything high performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭ciarsciars

• Registered Users Posts: 16 eoincody

thanks for that. ill take it, as long as its not too big, which i dont think it is.

where/when will i meet you? sooner rather than later if possible.

heres some pics of the wheel. cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭sexpot

DJsail wrote: »
    If you an get yourself out to Swords Village Co. Dublin there's a good old shop with a few peugeot frames and parts around that price mark and even less. If not check out www.dublin-bicycle.info

You don't know the name of that shop by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭NeilMcEoigheann

i have a raleigh frame i was in the middle of sanding it down to re paint it but i won't be doing that. its in ok cond. size is about 58 but i will have to measure it to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭DJsail

sexpot wrote: »
    You don't know the name of that shop by any chance?

Sorry for the delay in replying as was away, think the place is called the 'Swords cycle shop or swords cycles' either way if your entering the village from the Dublin side continue through the mainstreet and take the right at the very end of the street, its a yellow shed-like building on your left hand side about one hundred metres after the barbers, the chap who runs the place is sound and has quite a few decent vintage frames around the 100 mark.

Know that mignt not be much help but good luck none the less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Swaine55

NeilMcEoigheann are you selling that frame? im looking for a budget frame with horizontal drop-outs for a fixie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

What size are you looking for?

I have a 51-53cm (need to measure) Dawes Frame from late 80's or early 90's. Made from Reynolds 531 Lugged Steel. It has sloped drop outs and mudguard eyelets so it's ideal for fixie conversion. Seat post, stem, bars, Weinman brakes, Suntour derailleurs and crankset included. A few spots of rust on the frame and the headset needs to be replaced (corrosion) but the frame is perfectly sound mechanically and never crashed. It will make a really classy machine with some fresh paint.

I've been meaning to put some love and care into for a while now but haven't gotten around to it.

It's the same as this but maroon.

http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=330337077187

All you need then is a chain, saddle, sprocket, headset and some bartape...oh and wheels :)

I can throw in the old steel wheels too if you like.

Will sell for 120.

Surely that could only be a "rusty old clunker", don't blame me, you said it yourself.(anything under €200)

However, i understand that price means quality alot of the time, and i cant afford high prices.

A frame that is rusting and one that needs a new headset and paint job, is not the most attractive frame at €120. Also the derailleurs and crankset you mentioned would surely not be needed for a fixie.

The link you sent was also a dead-end as no picture showed up. Sorry if i sound ALL negitave, but i do like the more "vintage" sound of the frame, hard to find character some times.

So maby if i could see a picture and a lower price, appreciate the offer though, Thanks alot!

The derailleurs are still attached to the frame. They don't add to the price in any way but I can strip them off if needed.

The crankset is the "front ring", i.e. crank arms, chain rings (just remove the inner one) and the bottom bracket. The original steel pedals are also included (but you'll need to get some toe clips for them if riding fixed)

Sorry about the pic, I can't find another one online now but I'm pretty sure it's the same frame as here but with maroon paint, the original dawes and reynolds 531 decals and drop bars:

http://www.gumtree.com/london/75/43791175.html

The original drop handlebars are steel with some really cool etched details and the seatpost is the same as in that ad.

I'll take some of the actual frame tomorrow if you're interested.

What do you think is a fair price? I'm not going to sell it for peanuts though as I might yet build it up myself.

well i am interested. i would need to know the measurement, i am 6ft so if the bike is 52cm that should be ok. i would obviously need to see a picture. i will make an offer based on the picture, in mind that this one went for €70:

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=147342&cat=all

and that was in perfect condition.

Swaine55,

At 6ft, the frame will be too small for you. Size is the most important factor in buying and building up a frame.

There are plenty of guides and calculators online so search this forum for a few links before you make a costly mistake. My first frame was too big and it's only when you get something that fits perfectly that you really know what you've been missing.

Hope you find something nice. Chaka

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

I am interested. I would like to see some photos though. I would also want the wheels.

But just to let you (and other potential buyers) know about the crankset, it is not just a case of "just remove the inner one" (are you sure that the chainrings are removable, and not riveted?) when looking to set up a singlespeed crank for a fixie.

First of all the chainring bolts will be too big to hold one ring on its own and will need either spacers, or you'd have to buy singlespeed chainring bolts (about €10 for 5).

Second of all, the chainline alignment for a geared bike is different than a fixie, its quite likely that you will need to put in a new bottom bracket with a shorter axle (about €20) so the chainring and the sprocket are aligned correctly.

Photos really, really help.
    (Personally I dont think there's any point in advertising a bike online if you dont have any photos of it)

Hi Flickerx,

I'll get some pictures for you this evening.

Just to let you (and others) know, there was a guy selling single speed bolts and misc. sprockets on Gumtree last week that might be worth checking out.

The top tube is 55cm c-c. The seat tube is 54cm c-t. Cranks are 170mm and chain rings (52/42) are easily removable with allen keys but like you said will need single speed bolts.

I took off the brake calipers and forgot to take pics of them. They're old school Weinmann with unworn brakepads.

Pics of the frame and wheels can be found here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭quintana2

Hi chakattack, i,ll give you €100 for the frame and the wheels .The frame size is perfect for me, thats if the seat pin is not seized they can be hard to shift.

• Advertisement

Hey chakattack, thanks for sticking the pictures up.

Where are you based? I am interested, I'd like to have a look at the bike though. I'm on the dole so any time and place that suits you is good for me.

Oh yeah thanks for the heads up on gumtree - I went around to his gaf last night and scooped up some of the stuff he was selling (sprockets, bolts, and a few other bits and pieces).

Quintana,

I was originally going to sell for 150 so I'm really looking for 120. I sort of fell back in love with it last night when I was dusting it off and taking pictures. I'm only selling because it's a shade too big but I could get away with it if I used straight bars so I'm having reservations already, but I'll keep you in mind at 100.

The seatpost is free moving.

Flickerx,

I can meet you in Blanch thursday evening if you like.

To be fair to you both, let's deal in the forum and not by PM.

Chaka

chakattack wrote: »
    Quintana,

I was originally going to sell for 150 so I'm really looking for 120. I sort of fell back in love with it last night when I was dusting it off and taking pictures. I'm only selling because it's a shade too big but I could get away with it if I used straight bars so I'm having reservations already, but I'll keep you in mind at 100.

The seatpost is free moving.

Flickerx,

I can meet you in Blanch thursday evening if you like.

To be fair to you both, let's deal in the forum and not by PM.

Chaka

I live in Blanch so I can meet you any time in that area.
    (I presume you live there too?)
    But Thursday evening suits me fine.

Ok. I don't live there but it's on my way home, not sure what time suits yet.

I'll be in touch by PM on Thursday morning unless of course Quintana makes me a counter offer.

Thanks,
    Chaka

FlickerX

PM sent

Advertisement