Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet nursing...cao points?

Options
  • 07-08-2009 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

hey, does anyone have an idea of what the points will b like for vet nursing this year? Thanks in advice..!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Nope - no idea. DN106 is a new course, at Level 8 where the previous course was Level 7, so we have no points history to look at. Even if we did, the number of applicants plays a role in deciding where the line is drawn.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Hi, can anyone tell me about this course?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Due to the high demand and the fact it is now a level 8 degree course, I would imagine the points will be in the mid 400's ?! Just a guess though...

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Do you do the course? What is it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

No Im in vet med.
    I cant say what the course will be like, this is the first year of it so nobody really knows what the course will be like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭pseudo_23

well i am in the first batch of level 8 degree students, just finishing my 1st yr exams. Last year anyone with over 415 points was accomodated but due to high demand (only 44 places available), random selection was applied.

there was a 39% increase in apllications for the course last year and the average points for all applicants was about 455 so i imagine it will be higher that 415 this year.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

pseudo_23 wrote: »
    well i am in the first batch of level 8 degree students, just finishing my 1st yr exams. Last year anyone with over 415 points was accomodated but due to high demand (only 44 places available), random selection was applied.

there was a 39% increase in apllications for the course last year and the average points for all applicants was about 455 so i imagine it will be higher that 415 this year.

Good luck!

So, what exactly does a vet nurse do? now its a level 8 - will there be more responsibilities with the Job? What can a vet nurse do in a large animal practice for example.

I know a vet nurse and all they do is act as a secretary in a vet clinic...but that could just be the employers. what is the limitations of a vet nurse?

Jo

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Job descriptions won't change with the award of a Level 8, although it increases a VN's chances of going on to pursue further degrees (masters, reasearch, etc) and the possibility of specializing further as a nurse (oncology, dentistry etc) when those course become available (there are none currently in Ireland).
    I don't know any nurses in large animal only practice (aside from equine) but there are jobs in mixed practice which may involve some farm animal nursing. My experience is that, in a mixed practice, a VN will deal mostly with dogs/cats/companion animals as most of the farm stuff is obviously done on the farm. That's not to say you don't occasionally assist with farm surgery, but it's not that common. If the practice hospitalises things like sick calves, that sort of work (IVs, giving meds, feeding) often falls to the nurses.
    While many VNs do some secretarial work in addition to nursing, most that I know are involved in hands on nursing (treating in patients, advising clients on pet care, assisting with anaesthesia and surgery) but it's really down to what sort of practice employs the nurse and what level of knowledge and experience they expect in their VNs.
    Feel free to PM me if you want any more info.

Advertisement