Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to sweeten landlord?

Options
  • 07-08-2009 3:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all.

Long story short - I'm 23 and unemployed at the moment, sadly on unemployment benefit. Girlfriend is 19 and starting in DCU in September. We're moving in together, preferably a one bedroom apartment. I've been renting in Dublin for almost 6 years.

I'm wondering how to basically sell ourselves as good tenants. Appearance and personality wise we're fine (lovely people!:p), but on paper a young couple (one unemployed, one student) seems like a definite no-no. We've worked out the money side of things, and thats fine, we're both non drinkers and not partyers, we both like keeping our places nice and neat.

But with regards things like work references and questions regarding a job, I'm not sure how to go about it. Any tips??

Thanks,

-JB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

References from previous landlords?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

jackncoke wrote: »
    References from previous landlords?

Thats no problem at all... my present one should give me a very good one. Always had a good relationship, and I'm the one tenant who's never screwed him over by leaving suddenly or leaving him stuck with bills or unpaid rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Thats no problem at all... my present one should give me a very good one. Always had a good relationship, and I'm the one tenant who's never screwed him over by leaving suddenly or leaving him stuck with bills or unpaid rent.

That's all you really need then. A good reference from a previous landlord goes a long way.

Cool. But won't they be relucant to take in someone who's unemployed? Would it be better to have someone say I work part time for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Cool. But won't they be relucant to take in someone who's unemployed? Would it be better to have someone say I work part time for them?
    From personal experience previous landlord references seem to be more important than work ones. I'd say just go with the truth. Its a renters market now anyway.

• Advertisement

Cool. Is it possible to negotiate a rent down, or will that just put me out of the running for a property??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭ella87

I understand what your going through young people renting somewhere especially since ones a student landlords seem to run away from the idea.
    Im finding it really difficult to find somewhere to stay myself because im a student.
    same story as you guys I rarely drink and Im definately no party animal :]
    people keep pushing me towards a student village but id go bonkers there.
    I know you are on the social welfare but previous work references help abit.
    also what jackncoke said landlord references.

Advertisement