Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No overtime for ~50+hr wk + "On Call" wknds

Options
  • 07-08-2009 6:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

I over the next month or so my work will require me to put in around a 50 hr wk and possibly more some weeks.

I have been told that any hours over the standard 40 will only be paid as standard time i.e. No time and half or double time for the extra hours.

Also, on weekends I may be expected to come in to work for just 15-30 mins to serve a client and then go home again. But while this isn't that long I may as well be in there all day as I won't be able to go anywhere or make any plans becuase I "might" have to go into work. I will only get paid for the 15-30 mins that I work..

I'm wondering what I should do now? If the above is actually the case then will I be getting exploited and have grounds for complaint and request a compromise?

I am aware that I should be grateful of the work in the first place but I don't want to taken advantage either..I mean there will be some weeks where I get up in the morning, go to work [all day] then go home, shower, eat and go to bed. This could be the case for 2 straight weeks.. That's the way it worked out in previous years but I was getting well paid for it and it was worth it but this year my employers wants to pay me standard rate for everything..I would say that the line of business hasn't been hit by the recession either so it's still business(finance) as usual!

What are peoples thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance..

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If they used to pay you overtime, and have made a change to your working arrangements then I would want to have a talk with HR. Is your company cutting hours / wages / staff? Is it only you affected?

I'm on a salary, and sometimes I could have 3-4 12 hour days a week. Then again, they are flexible in other respects, so I don't mind. Point is no overtime for me, but I do get extra time off sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

If your boss is insisting that you work for flat rate perhaps you could ask for time off in lieu. It sounds like you have just a seasonal peak.

As far as I know an employer shouldn't change your terms and conditions without negotiation, but unless you have a strong union or can easily leave and get another job there probably isn't any way of forcing your employer to pay overtime rates

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I work 8-6 everyday.On a fairly medium salary (40k). I get up, go to work, come home, eat dinner, go to bed. Overtime or weekend pay does not exist. I could work most Saturdays.
    Usually I'm in work around 7.30am, and I mightn't get out til about 6.30pm. I've been doing this for 4 years now.
    I don't know what was in your original contract, or what your colleagues are experiencing, but I'm guessing time in lieu is your best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Hi Guys,

Sorry for not replying sooner.. I had exams!

Sure I'll just see what happens. I'm only going to be there for a month or so and there's not contract so i'll just take whatever is going..

Thanks for the advice guys.. Time in lieu seems to be what they are doing for everybody else but that wouldn't work for me as i'm only very short term..

Thanks.

Advertisement